IGNORED

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2012 To Feature Augusta National

Bo the Golfer
Note: This thread is 4321 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is that the only difference?? That's sad because they basically had that in the previous games, triangle would speed up the flight.  And when you do that now, you cant use spin or anything.  Thats really disappointing if that is the only change.  I appreciate your reply, but i hope you're wrong lol!

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by ControlJunkie

I played through the first Am Tour event last night before bed, and everything started clicking for me. I ended up shooting a 58 at Atlanta Athletic Club, which then pushed me up to the Nationwide Tour. I dont know about you guys, but I'm not a fan of trying to hit various percentage shots, especially using the thumbstick method of swinging. When three-click was the dominant method, it wasnt a big deal, but now, I prefer to put a 100% (or near that) swing on everything. In order to do that, I did lots of choking down as well as changing trajectory a good bit in order to hit my number. Don't forget to take into account wind and elevation changes as well.Hope this will help some of you, I know it's working well for me.

I remember in either '07 or '08 I got absolutely deadly good at being able to gauge the percentage by just holding the club at the top of my backswing for various lengths of time to change distance, but in '12 that doesn't seem to do much, you really need to be able to judge how far back you take the club. It's really hard to make a 50% backswing (especially on pitch shots, but on full shots also), and sometimes the caddy calls for that. Occasionally I'll just drop down a club and use power boost rather than hit one at at 70%.

As you advance in the game though, the caddy supposedly gets better at making recommendations.

Overall though I like the game. It's clearly the best one yet.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's the first golf game I've bought in a long while that doesn't feel like just more of the same.

Really like the Caddy recomendations, and the different kind of shots he suggest.  It's pretty cool to do a high risk shot and nail it, or do excatly what he says and it end up in the bunker anyway.

I just wish it wasn't so easy, I'm already shooting sub 60 rounds and my character is hardly leveled up...

Picked up my copy on X360 yesterday, and so far I have mixed opinions about the game.

• I started with a practice round at Royal Melbourne after creating my character. For some reason I had no irons! Just woods, wedges and a putter. This happened again in the first Am event.
  • I'm currently on the Nationwide tour, and I'm disappointed that the tournaments are only 1 round. There also seems to be no prize money, and I can't find a 'tour schedule' page either. I would've preferred a full 4 round tournament schedule where you gotta finish top 25 on the money list, even if they only made the tour 5 or 6 events.
  • The 'quickplay' mode still disappoints me as I would really like to be able to play a one-off tournament, or Presidents Cup event, or have the ability to set up a 'custom event', with as many human players as I like able to play.
  • I hope the game lets you create multiple golfers on the one Xbox user profile....

On the good side of things...

• The putting is much more realistic than previous versions I've played. I like the fact it's now really hard to make putts, not really hard to miss them
  • The club fitting mode is fantastic. If you don't want a 10.5* driver, you can adjust it here!
  • The tournament atmosphere is much more enjoyable

Seriously considering hooking up to Xbox live for this game....

I guess the biggest gripe I would have is the price. AUD$99! That's about US$103! And then I'll have to pay extra for online stuff? The face of gaming online really changed with world of warcraft. Actually charging people a fee to play the game they just bought!

Are yall playing on 360 or ps3? We ought to get some casual Sandtrap tournaments going on if there is enough interest.

Originally Posted by iacas

I took the back nine! :-) Early on I was considering missing every green because pitching close was easier than putting close. ;-)

Originally Posted by jamo

The biggest issue I have is the caddy recommendations. Occasionally he will suggest something that is a touch too risky, so I want to play a little farther away from the bunker or hazard, but you can't just tweak his recommendation. You have to totally make a new custom one shot. Putting was (and still is) hard at first, but now I've got my putting XP meter thing about half full, and it's getting easier and easier.

Has anyone downloaded and played The Predator? Freakin' impossible course. Target golf on every shot, even the drives.

And I can confirm iacas' early putting woes, though his late back-nine charge did give me a scare.

Originally Posted by Kieran123

neither will the online version.....what did you really expect from a Wii?

I meant the computer PC online version; tigerwoodsonline.ea.com the graphics there are MUCH better than the Wii.

cleveland.gif           Launcher 12° Driver - 15°  3W - 1°, 3°, 5° Hybrid - CG-15 60° LW 
mizuno.gif       MP-32 6-PW / MT-10 56°  SW 
Eidolon 52° GW  odyssey.gif      White Hot XG #7 Putter

Don't just stand there..........Smack that ball!

Originally Posted by natp0wers

Are yall playing on 360 or ps3? We ought to get some casual Sandtrap tournaments going on if there is enough interest.

I'd be interested in this... I'm on the PS3.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I am certainly interested in some Online SandTrap Tournies....My gamertag is Quinner06 (surprise, surprise! )  Just send me a PM on her e first or send a message with the request so I don't delete you.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

I just passed Q-School about 5 mins ago.  Is anyone else's caddy like REALLY off at the worst of times?  I was +3 at the AAC in Q-School.  That was good enough for T26.  So I needed to birdie the last hole to get my card, luckily it was a par 5.  I was on in 3 because it was too risky to go for it in 2.  I was about 20 feet away for birdie and my caddy was suggesting playing left of the hole about 2 cups.  I used all of my focus on the shot and it was narrowed down to a small circle but I still felt it was WAY too left still so I went with my guy and aim outside his circle and I buried the putt for birdie and finished +2 T11 and got my card.  Anyone else having this problem?

taylormade.gifR11S 9* Driver Aldila RIP Phenom 60 R Flex

taylormade.gifRBZ 3W 15* Matrix Ozik XCon-5 R Flex
taylormade.gif'11 Rescue Hybrids 3 (18*), 4 (21*) Aldila RIP 65 HB R Flex
taylormade.gifR11 5-PW KBS Steel R Flex | taylormade.gifTP XFT 52* 56* 60* KBS Steel

cameron.gif California Coronado 35" | ogio.gif Grom Black Plaid Bag |  Penta TP

Originally Posted by toddmlazarchick

I just passed Q-School about 5 mins ago.  Is anyone else's caddy like REALLY off at the worst of times?  I was +3 at the AAC in Q-School.  That was good enough for T26.  So I needed to birdie the last hole to get my card, luckily it was a par 5.  I was on in 3 because it was too risky to go for it in 2.  I was about 20 feet away for birdie and my caddy was suggesting playing left of the hole about 2 cups.  I used all of my focus on the shot and it was narrowed down to a small circle but I still felt it was WAY too left still so I went with my guy and aim outside his circle and I buried the putt for birdie and finished +2 T11 and got my card.  Anyone else having this problem?

As you become better and you play more rounds at different courses your caddy also becomes better at reading greens and suggesting shots. I'm not that great at putting, but in the last few days I've gotten really good at approach shots. Earlier today I shot -13 at Waialae (with a terrible back nine) and I don't think I made a single putt over about 8 feet.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

wow, so there's caddies, q-school and agusta in this version?   i have last years game.  does anyone else also have last years and can recommend that this one is a "must have"?  (sorry if this was already posted, its a long thread...

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

Originally Posted by ejimsmith

wow, so there's caddies, q-school and agusta in this version?   i have last years game.  does anyone else also have last years and can recommend that this one is a "must have"?  (sorry if this was already posted, its a long thread...

I don't have last year's game, but I do have this year's game.  It was a "must have" for me.

Let me explain what I mean.  When I saw that Augusta National was in it, I decided that I "must have" this game.

So I bought an Xbox 360 (my first console purchase since Sega Genesis), pre-ordered the game, just bought Xbox Live for a year ($35 on slickdeals), and will probably purchase some DLC.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I got this game today - wow putting is hard! Seems to be getting easier with the XP bonuses added to putting, but man i miss 3 inchers all the time it seems haha

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Originally Posted by Mattplusness

I got this game today - wow putting is hard! Seems to be getting easier with the XP bonuses added to putting, but man i miss 3 inchers all the time it seems haha

Scratch that - found out how to power boost and spin and read greens and I'm already shooting below par easily haha

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Scratch that - found out how to power boost and spin and read greens and I'm already shooting below par easily haha

I need to learn to read greens.  Also the other things you mention.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Hahaha well this is gonna sound bad but how do you do that?

taylormade.gifR11S 9* Driver Aldila RIP Phenom 60 R Flex

taylormade.gifRBZ 3W 15* Matrix Ozik XCon-5 R Flex
taylormade.gif'11 Rescue Hybrids 3 (18*), 4 (21*) Aldila RIP 65 HB R Flex
taylormade.gifR11 5-PW KBS Steel R Flex | taylormade.gifTP XFT 52* 56* 60* KBS Steel

cameron.gif California Coronado 35" | ogio.gif Grom Black Plaid Bag |  Penta TP

Originally Posted by toddmlazarchick

Hahaha well this is gonna sound bad but how do you do that?

Tap A during your backswing for a power boost, and tap A while your ball is in mid flight to spin it (also hold the left stick which way you want it to spin). You will see the ball get red in the bottom left and see it spin as well.

edit: Anyone who wants to play - my gamertag is Mattplusness (on 360). Feel free to add me - just let me know who you are :P

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Okay, next question.  I had a putt to win a tournament a few minutes ago -- not my first.  However, the putting meter disappeared and I blew the putt across the green.  A total of 4 putts later, and I double bogey to lose by one.  I guess the game really wanted Andrew Svoboda to win that event!

-- Michael | My swing! 

Note: This thread is 4321 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!