IGNORED

For those with extra wedges ... what clubs do you eliminate ?

Note: This thread is 4401 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I really don't find myself trying fill a gap between my wood and high irons, but I have recently found that having a selection of wedges is helping my score a whole lot more than hitting it a long way.  I have spent a lot of time working on my wedges and have noticed a complete 180 on my score.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on the course, I'll leave leave either my hybrid or 3 wood in the trunk.  I'm toying with the idea of getting rid of the 56/60 combo for a 58, but I can't seem to let go of the 60.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Originally Posted by delav

I'm toying with the idea of getting rid of the 56/60 combo for a 58, but I can't seem to let go of the 60.

Me too.  I practice with that one a lot, and it's my favorite club.

The course can depend on what clubs to use as well.  I carry a 52 56 and a 60, have a driver, 3 wood and 3-pw. I dont have any point in carrying a 5 wood it is useless to me ( i use a 3 iron instead) and the short game is much more important to me so the extra wedge is much more useful to me. Its best having the most useful clubs in the bag and most versatile.

I either leave out my 3 hybrid or 5 wood depending on anticipated conditions.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Depending on the course, I'll leave leave either my hybrid or 3 wood in the trunk.  I'm toying with the idea of getting rid of the 56/60 combo for a 58, but I can't seem to let go of the 60.

You should just do it. You'll adapt in one round.

I have a different wedge setup for each set of irons, and have discovered that [for me], 5 - 6 degrees is the best yardage gap between PW-SW-LW. With a 48 degree PW I go 48-54-60 and with a 46 degree PW it's 46-51-56-60. I'd get the 60 bent to 61, but I've tried to go more lofted with wedges before without success. Going a degree or two stronger works fine, but not weaker not so much. Still I'd get a true 58 rather than having a 56 or 60 bent to 58.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

You should just do it. You'll adapt in one round.

I have a different wedge setup for each set of irons, and have discovered that [for me], 5 - 6 degrees is the best yardage gap between PW-SW-LW. With a 48 degree PW I go 48-54-60 and with a 46 degree PW it's 46-51-56-60. I'd get the 60 bent to 61, but I've tried to go more lofted with wedges before without success. Going a degree or two stronger works fine, but not weaker not so much. Still I'd get a true 58 rather than having a 56 or 60 bent to 58.

Thanks for the good advice.  There aren't too many courses I've played where i really need both the strong 3 and hybrid, but I imagine that day will come as I'm able to play more courses and tournaments in the area.

In a perfect world, I'd love to switch over to a 53/57 combo without having to bend any existing wedges.  I'm really partial to my 52 and 48 degree wedge... they are my favorite clubs in the bag.

It's difficult to be a big club-ho with wedges too for me.  My wedges and irons all have the same PX shafts, 3 degrees up, 1/2" long, and built-up grips.  I think i could swing ordering a nice 58 though to give things a go-around.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

I dumped my 3W for the extra wedge. I carry 4, if you count the PW that comes with the set of irons. That gives me 48-52-56-60.

I'm toying with adding a 64, which would mean looking at the course I'm going to play and leaving out either the 2H or 3H I won't need to reach a long par 3.

Originally Posted by The Recreational Golfer

I dumped my 3W for the extra wedge. I carry 4, if you count the PW that comes with the set of irons. That gives me 48-52-56-60.

I'm toying with adding a 64, which would mean looking at the course I'm going to play and leaving out either the 2H or 3H I won't need to reach a long par 3.

Make sure you glance at what's in the bag of tour players too.  Most players are moving to 3 wedges (total, including PW) to keep spots open for the longer clubs that help hit fairways and greens.  If you think you need 5 wedges, you may just need to learn a few new tricks with the ones you've got.

Make sure you glance at what's in the bag of tour players too.  Most players are moving to 3 wedges (total, including PW) to keep spots open for the longer clubs that help hit fairways and greens.  If you think you need 5 wedges, you may just need to learn a few new tricks with the ones you've got.

Going with 5 degree gaps would allow a very lofted iron and still only 4 wedges - 48, 53, 58, 63.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Agreed. However, part of the fun of golf for me is trying out new clubs and set makeups to see what happens. I try to find a new club at a used sporting goods store for ~$10 so I can give it an inexpensive trial. If it doesn't work out, it's no big thing. If it does, then I'll buy a good one.

Earlier in the year, I went out with a driver, 1- 9-iron, wedges, and putter set. That really didn't work out, but I know that now from experience, and in a way, it was fun.

BTW, didn't Phil have 5 wedges in his bag in a tournament a few years ago?

Think of it this way.  Which distance do you have the best opportunity to hit a great shot:  inside 100 yards or outside of 200 yards?  Add to that, how many shots per round do you hit inside of 100 yards and outside of 200?

I think too many times people get hung up on making sure they have a club to hit 210, and one they hit 220, and one they hit 235.  Who cares at that distance?  Advance the ball and keep it in play.  Get one club you can comfortably hit 220, then adjust your swing/stance/grip to be able to hit it the other distances if needed.  Chances are, you won't hit it the distance you want anyway, why worry about it.  Get the clubs so you can knock it stiff from inside 100.

Granted, the distances some are capable of may require more 'longer' clubs, but the theory still applies.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

Originally Posted by goblue107501

Think of it this way.  Which distance do you have the best opportunity to hit a great shot:  inside 100 yards or outside of 200 yards?  Add to that, how many shots per round do you hit inside of 100 yards and outside of 200?

I think too many times people get hung up on making sure they have a club to hit 210, and one they hit 220, and one they hit 235.  Who cares at that distance?  Advance the ball and keep it in play.  Get one club you can comfortably hit 220, then adjust your swing/stance/grip to be able to hit it the other distances if needed.  Chances are, you won't hit it the distance you want anyway, why worry about it.  Get the clubs so you can knock it stiff from inside 100.

Granted, the distances some are capable of may require more 'longer' clubs, but the theory still applies.

+1

I started this year playing four different wedges (Pw, Aw, 54 and 58) and only one fairway wood to give me more options around the green. Already shaved strokes off my game.

taylormade.gif Burner SuperFast Driver, 9.5* taylormade.gif Rescue 11 2h, 16*
taylormade.gif rac Lt Irons, 3i-Pw, Aw taylormade.gif rac Satin Wedges, 54-10, 58-8 
 Corza Ghost Putter

My set:

Driver / 230 yd.

Hybrid 19* / 200 yd.

Hybrid 22*

5i - PW

Wedges: 50, 54, 58, 62.

If I suddenly start hitting my driver consistently 260 and my 19* stays the same then I would have a gap that might make a difference.  I like about having more wedges is because rolling open a wedge, aiming left and doing what is essentially a trick shot is far harder than just squaring up the club face and hitting the ball for me.

Going with 3 wedges (PW-54-60, PW-53-58, or PW(50)-56-60) cut a few strokes off for me. It allowed me to be more decisive with my shot selection around the green and it allowed me to add a 2-hybrid for tight par 4s and for approaches on par 5s. The number of strokes I lose for loose 2-hybrid shots is made up (and then some) by having chances for up and down birdies and the occasional eagle putt. My wife is getting me a new 2-H for my birthday (I paid for half [i.e. 90%] the cost) so I can have even more PW approaches. Woot!

Basically, with the proper loft gaps and practice, 3 wedges is the most I ever want in a bag. If I need to fill a gap or get a LW with more than 60 degrees of loft then I have the wrong wedges for my game.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my current setup. I found that last year I hit the 4 iron approx 2 to 3 times in 30-40 rounds. I can cover the 210-215 yds shots either chocking in the 3i or giving a rip to the 5i. I find that taking full swing shots inside the 130 yard rang is much more useful for me. I bent the 52 to 51 and the 54 to 55 to have a 4 degree difference between my PW and GW and GW to SW and give me the appropiate distances. I use my 60 degree for pretty much all shots around the green except for long bunker shots.

nike.gif SUMO2 Driver 9.5° Proforce V2 S -(270-280 yds)
titleist.gif 909 F2 #3 13.5° Blueboard S- (260 yrs) titleist.gif 909 H 17° Voodoo S (245 yds),
nike.gif CCI Forged 3i and 5i to PW TT DG S (225-205-190-175-165-150-135 yds)
nike.gif SV Tour 51°/9 (125) vokey.gif 55°/9(110) 60°/4(95).

I wonder if anyone else using 4 wedges is getting the 4 iron out. One option for me would be to bend the 4 iron from 24 degrees to either 23 or 22, but I don't want to screw up the iron set because sometimes I play short courses in which I get the 3W out and put the 4 iron back in play.

:sunmountain: C 130 Cart Bag :titleist: 910 D2 Driver 8.5° Fujikura ROMBAX 7Z08 Stiff (280 yds)
titleist.gif 909 F2 #3 13.5° Blueboard S- (260 yrs) titleist.gif 909 H 17° Voodoo S (240 yds) :mizuno: MP 58 4i to PW PX 6.0 (210-200-185-170-160-145-135 yds) vokey.gif  50°/6 (120) 55°/10 (105) 60°/4(90)

:nike: Untitized Tiempo putter Ball: any top ball on sale, currently Srixon Z Star Tour yellow.

driver

3 wood

3 hybrid

4-pw

56 ( have a low and a high bounce that i can choose depending on course and conditions)

anything longer then a 5i isn't a shot i am trying for a green with. i try hard to manage the course instead of letting my ego manage me. haven't got the swing yet, but i am working on it!

My personal set up:

10* driver

2-4 hybrid

5-9

49* (PW)

52* (GW)

58* (LW)

62* (HLW)

Driver: Callaway FT-iZ 10*  I  2 Hybrid: Nike VR  I  3&4 Hybrid: Nike Sumo SQ  I  Irons: Ping G10 5-PW, LW,  I  52* & 62*: GigaGolf SGS  I  Putter: Cleveland BRZ #2  I  White things I chase: Srixon AD333

Note: This thread is 4401 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!