IGNORED

Farmers Insurance Open 2011

mcfc_nick
Note: This thread is 4989 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

I'm rootin' for Bill Haas. Have been a fan of his for a long time. I stupidly kept picking him before he blossomed in the Yahoo Fantasy League we had back in 2007 or so... I was just premature with that call. I liked him and Nick Watney and almost considered them to be very similar guys. I still think they are.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The leaderboard is heavy duty business going in to Sunday. I would like to see Bubba go low and take it. Phil is sinking some putts and looking solid, too.

AK struggled yesterday (especially with the driver) and had a VERY up and down round but ended the day as far from the lead as he started, im still picking him for the win

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

Originally Posted by iacas

I'm rootin' for Bill Haas. Have been a fan of his for a long time. I stupidly kept picking him before he blossomed in the Yahoo Fantasy League we had back in 2007 or so... I was just premature with that call. I liked him and Nick Watney and almost considered them to be very similar guys. I still think they are.

Same here, but I also like Hunter Mahan. I want him to have some success after his disappointing finish in the Ryder Cup.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

I followed Groups 1 and 2 for a while yesterday (early holes, on the 13th and then the last few) and I was very impressed with Haas.  He is very calm, measured and didn't seem to be the least bit uncomfortable with being in such a strong position, with Phil et al on his heels.

My 'Farmers' Moment' was on the 15th.  I was walking along the left side of the fairway, not really following the golf at that moment just heading north, when a ball rolled down the slope just behind me.  Of course I turned back and a little group of us waited to see what was up.  The ball was very badly placed, about 50 ft behind a eucalyptus tree with another one further down on the left.  The only really tree-free shot (impossible to hit over either pine tree) would have been either a punch-out of about 100 yards to the right or, much much riskier of course, a strong hook around that tree.  I said to the guy next to me (there was much discussion among us about the options) that this was the perfect opportunity for one of my duck hooks ......

So AK finally shows up (must have hooked or pulled his drive), and spends a long long time talking to his caddy about 12 feet from where I stood.  He walked back up the little slope to the fairway to consider the hook/push options.  He did that again 2 or 3 times, obviously considering those options.  AK then asked us all (on his left when looking greenwards) to move back so that he could check out the line to the left of the tree, when I said (very softly) to the stranger next to me, "no way would I try to hit through those trees - time to take your lumps and punch out".  There was no air between those trees, just nuthin'.  Finally he grabs about a 6i and is clearly looking straight at the tree in front - amazing!  I say to the stranger, 'surely he isn't going to try to hit into that tree somewhere  - he can still par with a punch out and and up-and-down from there".

In the end AK aimed straight into the nearer tree, hard to tell exactly which bit of it he was going for but the left side I think.  I was so close to him, and facing back towards the tee, that I couldn't turn my head fast enough to see the ball hit the tree but it definitely did, just a tad.  Enough to deflect it left apparently.  We walked up and he was behind the eucalyptus further down on the left, completely blocked.  He punched out from there for bogey.

I've never had no real idea what exactly a pro was attempting to do, and why, while watching from so close up like his.  I could hardly have been any closer.  To me it looked absurdly risky to hit into the left side of the nearer tree, with another one further down on the left.  Not a good idea IMO and it cost him on this hole but AK is one cool dude and certainly not impulsive - he has matured a lot IMO and has good course demeanor.  Also, I saw him stick that fairway bunker shot on the 14th from about 150 for birdie - interesting how he chokes down as much as he sometimes does.  He must have been feeling good after that birdie and the earlier one, maybe that influenced him in taking the risk.  Obviously I speculate, but he certainly looked comfortable with himself at that moment.

Whereas Tiger looked rather uncomfortable whenever I saw him and still very much thinking about technical matters, i.e. completely in the zone NOT.  But he's still the Big Gorilla in my book, just a wounded one and patiently rebuilding his game.  He has learned some hard lessons in life recently, but that may not hurt him in the long run - on the contrary actually (in the long run).  He pointed out in the short post-game interview that he's had a similar long spell with no wins - I didn't realize that.  At any rate it's clear TW is taking the long view of his place in golfing history, as he should.  I saw Phil really blow 2 putts, one from just off the green (25 ft maybe) on the 2nd that went way long for a missed comeback and bogey - having birdied the first from the right bunker!  But he looked excited and I saw him birdie on the back nine somewhere to take the lead.  He could well win, but then again it's Phil the Thrill and he might get another quad on the 13th or something and flame out.

Many golfers were clearly bothered by those fast greens.  Not Ricky Fowler though, never saw him miss a putt of any length by much.  He is one cool dude as well, quite the charmer.  JD looked very serious and focused as he walked close by me from green to tee once.  Only realized later that he must have been p***** at having dropped so many strokes in the previous 2 hours.  Did see JD hit driver off the next fairway, stick the short approach and I think birdie the hole.  He obviously loves that course, pity he's being such a jerk about those venues choosing not to give him an exemption.  "I'll never play at those courses again because they won't give me a free ride" (or words to that effect) - what a twit!  Saw DJ pound his drive, on the 6th I think, way longer than anyone else but didn't make anything of it.  He didn't seem to be quite in the zone yesterday but what a blasted athlete (like Tiger in that respect).  Hunter Mahan looked tough and fairly relaxed out there, I like him more the more I see of him (despite those shades ... ).

Great day of golf all round.  Don't ask me who's gonna win today.  Too many guys who feel they have an excellent chance - it's gonna be a peach of a day's golf today - that much I do know.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Vegas is playing like he's won 10 times on tour already, he really got some good stuff going. Hope he doesn't realize and start messing it up. This could be an exciting finish.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Random question that does kind of pertain to the Farmers Ins. Open. Why do people yell out get in the hole when a player isn't putting but usually hitting to the green?

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Originally Posted by jmanbooyaa

Random question that does kind of pertain to the Farmers Ins. Open. Why do people yell out get in the hole when a player isn't putting but usually hitting to the green?

That's the classic smartass gallery cheer. Same thing when teeing off on a par 5...

Get it done Bubba!

Man two weeks in a row on the final hole Johnny put it in the water. He has really impressed me tho with his strong start. Should be an interesting kid to watch and if he keeps playing like this he should def make it past the west coast swing.

WITB:

• Driver: Titleist TSR3 8.0 A3, Badazz 60g S
  • Hybrid: Cobra Baffler 17*
  • Irons: T200 P-4
  • Wedges: Callaway X Forged 48*,56*,60*
  • Putter: Ping Anser Milled 

Note: This thread is 4989 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!