IGNORED

Custom Fitting Result?

ronaldkuntoro
Note: This thread is 4754 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'll try to make long story short.

Got fitted at range by Titleist fitter, recommended irons and driver for me with varying tweaks (loft, lie, shaft etc).  Then, because I'm anal about spending money and being sure I get the right thing, I went to another Titleist fitting on a simulator at Golfsmith knowing full well that simulators arent 100% accurate.  Guy fit me into pretty much the same thing.  Good news (so far).  I went to demo clubs on course to compare to mine in "live" testing.  Got rained out so I went to a store up the road and hit clubs in their hitting bay.  Numbers were completely different.  Aggravated the crap out of me.  Went back to original fitter (on range) confirmed specs, and ordered.  New clubs coming in tomorrow.  Will take both sets out (new and old) to course for 2-3 rounds and see how much of a difference there is.

For what its worth, on range at second live testing, I hit my driver and got good numbers both on launch monitor and through ball pattern and flight.  Hit "suggested" driver and launch monitor numbers were definitely better. More importantly, I watched my misses become less dispersed and on good swings, was carrying it a good 10-12 yards further (they had greens and such on range that I could gauge).  I was hitting ProV1's at range (thought that was awesome, makes you feel like a pro).  Will report back and hope others keep feedback coming.

• 1 month later...
Is a custom fitting at a range with limited flight balls worth anything? Titleist is having a demo day at a range in a couple of weeks. I haven't found out what balls they use yet, but the range is 245 meters I believe, so they can't be using normal balls. Would you rather hit balls on a simulator with launch monitor and your own balls or at a range will limited flight range balls? Neither is optimal in my eyes. An outside range with launch monitor and normals balls would be the best, but that is sadly not an option.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Make sure you get fit with the actual ball you play. Do not get fit with range balls.

titleist.gif Titleist 910 D3 - Project X 6.0 7C3 Shaft  |  adams.gif Adams XTD Super Hybrid - 15 degrees  
adams.gif Adams Idea Pro A12 Hybrid - 18 degrees 
Adams CB2 - KBS Tour Shafts - 4 - PW
vokey.gif Vokey 54.10 Oil Can  |  vokey.gif Vokey 60.07 Oil Can  |  rife.gif Rife Trinidad - SuperStroke

• 2 weeks later...

When I bought new golf clubs a few years ago, I went around to a bunch of places and took all their recommendations and went with what I liked the most.  Just like anything else in life, shop around, make the decision you want. Like the other people have said, most big chain stores just want to sell sell sell. Don't be pushed into anything you don't want. By the time I bought my clubs, I knew exactly where I was going and what they needed to give me.

I had the most fun at a demo day at the Ohio State golf course a few summers ago. They had all the major brands out there, and you could just walk up and down the range and try all the clubs to your hearts desire. You can find the demo days on the major companies websites. Really lets you get the feel for what you may like/dislike and lets you try a lot more clubs out than in any store.

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

I got fitting for Burner 2.0's yesterday. Took roughly 1.5 hours. Full custom with upgraded shafts and step down? I will let you know in two weeks how accurate the distance is. But the price I paid to get it done...

Original price of 2.0's at dicks 699+tax

Price at Edwin Watts 615+tax

Price after fitting 575+tax lol.

Not sure why the guy cut me such a deal but I was very impressed with how in depth he went on it even helping my swing a bit...

Originally Posted by DannyB215

I'd have to say, NEVER EVER do an Iron Fitting on a Golf Galaxy or Golf Smith...ALWAYS off. The best fitting out there you can get is out on the range.

This sentiment really pisses me off. I work at a Golfsmith and I'm nothing but honest with my fittings. Also, I hit on the monitors during down times and they seem extremely accurate (minus distances).

Anyway, back to the topic. I fit myself for clubs and I find launch monitors to be the best possible tool. I haven't found too many variances in numbers when comparing indoor and outdoor monitors, I think it's more of a comfort thing - It's difficult to trust the monitor when you can't see the ball.

In my sunmountain.gif bag:
Driver  cleveland.gif  '09 Launcher 9* with Fit-On M Red X
Hybrids:  titleist.gif  585.H 21* with YS-6+ S, 585.H 17* with NVS Aldila X
Irons:  callaway.gif  Tour Authentic X-Prototype 4-PW with X100
Wedges:  callaway.gif  X Series Jaws 52*, 56*, 60*Putter:  callaway.gif  Tour Blue TT2Range Finder:  bushnell.gif  1500 TE

Note: This thread is 4754 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!