IGNORED

Funny Examples of Cheating

Big Don
Note: This thread is 4354 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am full of cheating stories....sorry guys!!! Last one I promise. I have a friend that uses this huge coin for a ball mark. When he goes to mark it he bumps the ball out of the way and drops the mark. Then to top it off, when he replaces his ball it is always about an inch in front of the marker. So I was figuring that he is getting at least 4 inches closer to the hole everytime he marks it.....But you know he doesnt play for money, so I guess its alright. But if he ever beats me there may be a dispute....lol.......just kidding

Keep going man. You're giving me great ideas.

Of things to watch for, of course ;)

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I caddied for a couple of pros, one of them (my uncle) he was playing badly and told me to knock off a few shots off his score card.. I was young and he was buying lunch, what was I to do? The trouble was I had already. The lunch tasted sour.

A couple of years back now, I was playing with a guy in Ireland. We had a great match, although I played like a dog on the front nine and found myself 3 down at the turn. However, I played really well on the backside and by the time we got to the 18th the match was all square

It had been raining quite heavily in Ireland in the preceeding days and the 18th tee was off a temporary mat. Now this mat wasn't what you called the most level of playing surfaces; it sloped quite heavily leaving the ball quite a bit below your feet. The guy I was playing with hit an absolute stinking duck hook into the sea from this tee and said "oh this mat isn't playable, we can't play off it" so he took another ball and teed it up next to the mat on the muddy grass and hit another straight down the middle, without takling a penalty; he assumed I would all just play off next to the mat and conveniently forget about his first shot!

Now, I really don't like cheats and I was absolutely fuming about this, especially as I'd played fairly to get all level! However, I didn't want to make a scene so I cooly went up to the mat and said to the guy "there's nothing wrong with the mat at all, you just need to adjust your stance a bit". So to prove a point, I just tosssed the ball on the mat without even teeing it up and spanked my 3 wood right down the middle of the fairway; it was the best shot I hit all day. I ended up birdieing the hole and he took bogey! He was well and truly humbled and I felt real good about beating him!

Cheats never prosper!!
Equipment

Driver: Titleist 983E (Grafalloy Prolite 35)
3 Wood: Taylor Made Burner Bubble (Royal Precision steel rifle)
Irons: Callaway x14 (Royal Precision steel rifle) Putter: Ping Zing 5Ball: Titleist Pro V1

This is not really a story about cheating, or really not that funny. Last year I played the club championship for the first time. I had worked my butt off to get down to an 8. I had practiced my butt off and was ready to play. I show up on the Friday and one of the rules where we could lift, clean and cheat on the fairways. I was mortified because here in Winnipeg, Canada we had one of our best years in many and our course was in the best shape it could have been. Out of principal, I refused to play it up. I played OK and didn't finish in last.

A side note to this was a supposed 2 handicap shot 99, 95 and 95. He finished so badly in last it wasn't funny. But I gave him props for showing up on the last day. Most of the other aholes that were playing badly withdrew.

What's in my bag:
Driver : R7, 10.5 degree, stock stiff shaft
16 Degree Hybrid - Cobra Baffler DWS, with stiff stock shaft
20 Degree Hybrid - Cobra Baffler, with Accra Shaft, Stiff
26 Degree Hybrid - Cobra Baffler, with Accra Shaft, Stiff6 - PW - Bridgestone CG Mid, Dynamic Gold LiteWedges : TBA...

This is not really a story about cheating, or really not that funny. Last year I played the club championship for the first time. I had worked my butt off to get down to an 8. I had practiced my butt off and was ready to play. I show up on the Friday and one of the rules where we could lift, clean and cheat on the fairways. I was mortified because here in Winnipeg, Canada we had one of our best years in many and our course was in the best shape it could have been. Out of principal, I refused to play it up. I played OK and didn't finish in last.

You may not have won, but at the end of the day you had the ultimate satisfaction of playing the game in the proper spirit following the rules properly. The fact that the others cheated, whether following competition rules or not, is a matter for their conscience.

Taylormade r7 460
Callaway X 3 Wood
Callaway X 5 Wood
Callaway X 7 Wood
Callaway X Hybrid (24*)TaylorMade r7 Irons (5-PW)Mizuno MP-R Series Wedges (52,58 degrees)Ping G2 Anser Putter

I have one more. In my regular snips group there is one guy that only keeps track of one stat, chip ins. One year he had close to 20 or 30. Sounds impressive, except for one thing. He stick handles the ball until it is siting perfectly, and then presto he chips in!! Big deal. Most of the time this chip in is for par or worse, so he is almost never taking money from anyone's pocket. But its still pretty funny.

What's in my bag:
Driver : R7, 10.5 degree, stock stiff shaft
16 Degree Hybrid - Cobra Baffler DWS, with stiff stock shaft
20 Degree Hybrid - Cobra Baffler, with Accra Shaft, Stiff
26 Degree Hybrid - Cobra Baffler, with Accra Shaft, Stiff6 - PW - Bridgestone CG Mid, Dynamic Gold LiteWedges : TBA...

I swear I had posted this out here before but I guess not. I played with a guy last year who was playing against his friend for money. His friend was holding the flag and standing behind the cup so he could not see this but I watched the first guy mark his ball approx a foot closer to the hole. Same guy would play a par 3 with only a wedge and put the score in in order to keep his handicap nice and high too.

I reported a guy at my club years ago as he was playing in the daily tournament, strict USGA rules. He rolled the ball over in the rough, improved his lie wherever possible and gave himself putts. I don't think anything was ever done about it either as he paired up with another guy for partner tournaments and I noticed they were winning money nearly every time. The ironic thing is that my Dad used to play with the other guy and he was notorious for using the hard distance ball for long shots and switching to the softer ball around the green.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

I swear I had posted this out here before but I guess not. I played with a guy last year who was playing against his friend for money. His friend was holding the flag and standing behind the cup so he could not see this but I watched the first guy mark his ball approx a foot closer to the hole. Same guy would play a par 3 with only a wedge and put the score in in order to keep his handicap nice and high too.

Yikes! Tournaments where you're paired by preference seem like just inviting this sort of thing. I would've said something to the other participants. "Why do those two always win money? Have you ever played with X?"

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

2006 Summer. A good buddy of mine was co-sponsor of a large Invitational tournament, which travelled through Germany, and cost his company 60.000€ as one of four co-sponsors. There were 8 tournaments in all, and the day was 60 players, all invited, with 3-ball flights, a huge champagne reception and dinner in a fantastic restaurant overlooking the lake and downtown Hamburg - the entire 9 yards. There were masses of prizes available, including a trip to a French Chateaux for a Grand International 2-day Finale, for the winning man and woman, based on a netto Stableford score.

I went out and blazed it!! Playing off a 14 hcp I came home with 44 points, which is really ok, and looked set up for some of those Grand prizes. Yummy!
However, at the dinner, three people joined us at our table (we were 6 buddies of the sponsor friend) - and boy did they look smug!
Turned out, that they were the final 3ball group to play - all were co-workers in the same office, two guys and a girl. Each had shot in the high 50s in Stableford!!!!!!!!!! All had hcps around the 21 mark.

The one fella in the group won the closest-to-the-pin, the lady also won it, the next fella won the trip to France, as did the lady too, the one fella won the longest drive, as did the lady too........... the prizes were 5 liter jeroboam bottles of vintage wine from the Chateau which they were going to......as well as really fancy watches from one of the sponsors......

We just sat there, stunned, as these people went up again and again to get their prizes, and the applause, which started off really well for them in the beginning, started to become a surprised and automated stammer, more out of genetic politeness than appreciation.

For my 44 pts I did win one of those watches, as 3rd overall netto........

Later, my Scottish pro buddy said on the phone: they would have been launched into the canal below the balcony, if that happened in Scotland....

Well, you learn....and tournament directors learn: don't only put buddies in groups.....and these cheats were never reprimanded for being "ringers" or for maybe returning incorrect scores or results for their extremely expensive outing....

So maybe this tale doesn't really belong in the "funny examples of cheating" - it wasn't funny and it will happen again this year unless the tournament directors get their act together.

Michael Stiebel

In ze bag:

Titleist 983 KTitleist 3WPing 5WCobra 23deg hybridPing Irons 5-PW Eidolon 52,56 & 60deg wedgesPing G2 long putter(wishing for: Titleist 755 irons!!)Left-hander!!!!!

Not really funny sharkgolf! They stole money in the end when you think about it and that is nothing to smile about!

Very Sad that some people dont have the honor and etiquette thats needed for this sport.

My example of cheating is also not very funny:

A friend of mine an me played behind the last flight of a "Beginners Tournament" where only the people with Hcp 54-45 are allowed to play.

That last flight was playing so terrible it took them nearly 10 to 12 strokes on each and every hole. The last hole is a Par 3 Island green my buddie and I came to the tee box when they were doing "Practice Shots" in a tournament! They tried to hit the green and after the fifth ball that did not drop in the water finally landed on the green, they were all shouting: "nice I take that one the rest was just Practice!"

Can you imagine who won the tournament? This strange flight. They all had roundabout 56 stableford points and now have Hcp 36 or sth.!

Luckily the prizes on these Beginner Tournaments aren't the best: some MikeTec Balls or a Rulebook and so on. Nothing expensive like a trip to a french Castle or TagHeuer Watches

WitB

R7 Superquad 10.5
R7 Steel 3 Fw
2 Iron Rescue Dual MP 60 3-PW Vokey SM 56.10 Vokey SM 60.08 White Hot XG # 9

Not really funny sharkgolf! They stole money in the end when you think about it and that is nothing to smile about!

Yeeks, both of you. Well, not you two, but the folks you ran into. I was in a tournament at a par-3 course. I was in a group with some friends. I swung and miss and no one saw it. I swung again and hit the green. Well, I hit the ball and it hit the green. I one-putted. My friends congraulated me on the birdie, and I corrected them -- no, it's a par. The swing and a miss counts as a stroke. I verified with the tournament director that what happened was correct. I was congraulated on my etiquette. That's better than a small skin win.

-- Michael | My swing! 

I played with a coworker who had his own picture on his golfballs. Imagine my amazement when he hit one 30 yards into the woods, and I found one with his picture 30 yards into the woods just seconds after he found one WITH THE SAME PICTURE just off the first cut! What are the odds!?!?!?!?

Not sure if this has been said yet, cuz i dont have time to read 6+ pages of these now, but.... Back in High School one team was caught using the green colored Gummi Savers under their balls in the rough/fairway for an elevated/perfect lie. Pretty clever, but we eventually caught on... Be aware!

Titleist 983K 8.5* Prolite V2 stiff
Callaway Hawk VFT 3 Stiff
Taylor Made 16 & 21* Raylors
TM oversised irons 3-sw Rifle stl shafts
Titleist Vokey spin milled 60*Titleist Vokey 52* Tour

Not sure if this has been said yet, cuz i dont have time to read 6+ pages of these now, but.... Back in High School one team was caught using the green colored Gummi Savers under their balls in the rough/fairway for an elevated/perfect lie. Pretty clever, but we eventually caught on... Be aware!

Someone mentioned something similar to this. It is pretty clever... something only a cheater would think of.

• 1 month later...
I play with a guy who cheats so much he once had a hole in one and wrote down ZERO

INTHE BAG(today)
Driver: Speedline 10 10.5deg
Fairway woods: speedline 3w
Putter:Master grig

Irons: A2 OS

SandWedge 1200GE

Balls: Soft Feel

Bag: Great Divider

Lots of Hope!

I stopped letting my playing partner carry an extra ball in his pocket.

I think he had a hole in his pocket and dropped a ball through it whenever he needed to replace a lost ball.
In The Bag

Driver: FT3 -or- TMTB
Woods: Cobra F-Speed
Hybrids: Cally FT, 3 & 4Irons: T/M R7TP's, W/PX 5.5 Wedge: Cally X-Forged, 52 & 58Putter: S/C Studio II Ballz: T/M Black -or- Prov1X

Note: This thread is 4354 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!