IGNORED

Slow, Oblivious Idiots

jrm1493
Note: This thread is 4818 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Fourputt

I guarantee you that when I'm setting up a delicate chip, I don't want some douche dropping a bomb out of the sky within 30 yards of me.  It has less to do with getting hit into, than it has to do with an unneeded and unwarranted distraction.  At some point you have to take action or maybe next time they DO hit into you.  Sorry but if it's that close then it's too close.  They aren't going anywhere any faster by taking that chance.

I re-read her post. Fro some reason I thought they were on the putting green and the ball rolled up to about 30 yards from the green (which I assumed meant >50 based on people's tendency to exaggerate on the internet). Yeah, if they were still chipping that was a strange play.

But, I still stand by statement that leaving that particular card for someone was a risky play. It could have caused an unnecessary retaliation. I've read a lot of newspaper articles (many of which can be linked to from this site) where things escalate on the golf course. It's almost certain that if someone would have been mature enough to back off it wouldn't have happened. I'm suggesting that the mature ones in this story were the ones who had the insulting card left for them.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by Stretch

What? Douche card for you, man. Fourputt is quite right.

I didn't say I would have done it.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I agree with Sean. It may be that the shot was hit 200 yards away with a 9-i, with the thought, "Ok, the most I've ever hit my 9-i is 150, and even with a miracle extra 20-yards I'll still be 30 yards short of those nice people, so this is a safe play."

Yes, it would've probably been better had the hitter just waited a bit longer, but leaving a card calling someone a douche is not the best way to deal with a situation. Initiate a civil conversation if you have an issue.

Bill

These threads seem to bring out the worst in people. I'm sure glad that at my home course and most others I play in MN the 4 to 4.5 hour round wont get me shot. And as far as no excuses for slow play in competitions has anyone ever played 18 holes of tournament golf in less than 4.5 hours? Ever?

Complaining about slow play is like complaining about traffic. It's always the "other idiots" and never ever themselves,right?!?! Of course it can be frustrating but there isn't a thing that can be done in a real world sense. If there were, the problem would be eliminated and we wouldn't have this same thread every other week.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

But, I still stand by statement that leaving that particular card for someone was a risky play. It could have caused an unnecessary retaliation. I've read a lot of newspaper articles (many of which can be linked to from this site) where things escalate on the golf course. It's almost certain that if someone would have been mature enough to back off it wouldn't have happened. I'm suggesting that the mature ones in this story were the ones who had the insulting card left for them.

I agree with this.  While those snarky cards (I've seen various versions) and rude little notes seem cute and may be satisfying, they're really almost always inappropriate in my opinion.  If the offender was doing it on purpose, they're not going to give a damn that you left them a little card and, as sean suggests, may behave worse as a result.  If it was an accident, at best it pisses the person off.  Maybe they'll be more careful next time, but they'll also be pissed off.  If you'd left a polite note instead, they'd be more careful and also not be pissed off.  Leaving a rude note will never result in a better outcome than the polite alternative.  I've been on the receiving end of similar missives, and in my experience they usually result from a misunderstanding by the person leaving them.  They don't make things better for anyone.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

This story sounds super frustrating, and I'm sure I would have been annoyed too, but I WISH that on the courses I play that I got through 16 holes in 4:45 with an unusually, and obnoxiously, slow group in front of me!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree this is very frustrating turning a round which should usually be around 4-5 into a 6er and just because one group dosent know which tees to play from

or are too embarrased to play a lower tee than the group they are with. Marshalls have the authority to tell a group to move ahead a hole if they are slowing play

in this case they should have done so.

If you feel the need to carry a stack of "you're a douche" cards with you everywhere you go, there is a good chance there is a problem you with you and not "the douches". The fact that you need a stack of them shows how much conflict you expect to have with other people and are not the type of person that should be on a golf course.

Originally Posted by Stretch

What? Douche card for you, man. Fourputt is quite right.

I knew that sooner or later someone would end up playing the douche card....

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

ha, douche cards.

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Originally Posted by 1par2win

These threads seem to bring out the worst in people. I'm sure glad that at my home course and most others I play in MN the 4 to 4.5 hour round wont get me shot. And as far as no excuses for slow play in competitions has anyone ever played 18 holes of tournament golf in less than 4.5 hours? Ever?

Complaining about slow play is like complaining about traffic. It's always the "other idiots" and never ever themselves,right?!?! Of course it can be frustrating but there isn't a thing that can be done in a real world sense. If there were, the problem would be eliminated and we wouldn't have this same thread every other week.

Spoken like one who is part of the problem rather than one looking for a solution.  And yes, I've played many competitive rounds in under 4½ hours.  I've played in under 4 hours, although not often.  Our Men's Club has its own slow play policy, and it tends to be pretty effective.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Lebowski

If you feel the need to carry a stack of "you're a douche" cards with you everywhere you go, there is a good chance there is a problem you with you and not "the douches". The fact that you need a stack of them shows how much conflict you expect to have with other people and are not the type of person that should be on a golf course.

Obviously, you have never tried to park in Chicago. If you had (especially with the new system), then you would carry "douche" cards, too.

Sure, I knew there was a risk regarding the situation escalating into something more dangerous. But, (1) It was a Disney course -- the most magical place on earth. I really wasn't worried about it; (2) the marshal had already spoken to them about the slow play ahead of them; and (3) did I mention it was a Disney course?

Honestly, what do you *really* expect, pace-wise, at such an obvious resort course? If you say you expect people to be on pace because that's the way the game is played, you're unrealistic. You're just never going to get that kind of compliance on a course at which at least half of the people rent clubs and are there to kick back and enjoy. And if you subsequently hit into people who have no control over what's happening ahead of them, then I'm afraid you really are a douche. The marshals try to control things as best they can, and I respect the idea that they are doing their best to enhance my game experience. I also don't expect that other golfers are purposely trying to detract from it.

And regarding typical distances hit: we always wait until everyone is definitely out of reach of the purest of shots. Why? Because we've seen some of our playing partners hit into forward groups, and that scares the hell out of me.

Originally Posted by GPS Mike

I agree this is very frustrating turning a round which should usually be around 4-5 into a 6er and just because one group dosent know which tees to play from

or are too embarrased to play a lower tee than the group they are with. Marshalls have the authority to tell a group to move ahead a hole if they are slowing play

in this case they should have done so.

Don't know if you're talking to me or the OP. But, as I mentioned, the marshal came around and specifically told everyone *not* to play through but to cool their jets because this round was going to be fubar due to the group outing ahead of us.

Originally Posted by Miss Shanksalot

And regarding typical distances hit: we always wait until everyone is definitely out of reach of the purest of shots...

And again, how do you know the group behind you wasn't doing exactly that? You'll never know because you played the douche card (I gotta admit, the concept is hilarious) before you could ask. You said they were "coming very close to hitting into us", but 30 yards was the closest they came? That might be kinda close on a drive, but not an approach shot. Obviously I wasn't there but based on how you've described it, that's not getting "hit into" - at least not enough to warrant your response, IMO.

Bill

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

And again, how do you know the group behind you wasn't doing exactly that? You'll never know because you played the douche card (I gotta admit, the concept is hilarious) before you could ask. You said they were "coming very close to hitting into us", but 30 yards was the closest they came? That might be kinda close on a drive, but not an approach shot. Obviously I wasn't there but based on how you've described it, that's not getting "hit into" - at least not enough to warrant your response, IMO.

Both.Still dangerous and a wee bit distracting: I kept thinking a quarter or divot tool was falling out of my pocket as I was about to take a swing. I guess I just don't see what they hoped to gain by their behavior; in fact, there was much to lose, no?

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Spoken like one who is part of the problem rather than one looking for a solution.  And yes, I've played many competitive rounds in under 4½ hours.  I've played in under 4 hours, although not often.  Our Men's Club has its own slow play policy, and it tends to be pretty effective.

Spoken like someone who is a part of the problem? This judgmental attitude about other people motivations is exactly my point. At my club we play our competitive weekly matches Sat and Sun mornings. We get around in about 3.75 to 4.0 hours which is a great pace for me when playing competitively. Tournaments stretch out further and your club seems handle it better than mine but it is what it is

When I am playing anytime after 11:00 or so I know the rounds are going to stretch out past 4 hours, sometimes pushing 5 given the clientele. I don't particularly like 5 hour rounds but I'm not going to go all "Colin Montgomery" on the group ahead. 4.5+ hours rounds don't happen all the time but they do so often enough where I'm not surprised and not particularly irritated since it's expected. So if I am a part of the problem because I don't get my panties in a bunch over slow play then so be it. But if I were offer a solution it would be find a club that offers tee times that cater to quicker players. There are a ton of those clubs in the Twin Cities (including mine on week-end mornings). The more experienced players such as ourselves have to be more accommodating to newer players not act like the judgmental lords of golf.

Originally Posted by 1par2win

Spoken like someone who is a part of the problem? This judgmental attitude about other people motivations is exactly my point. At my club we play our competitive weekly matches Sat and Sun mornings. We get around in about 3.75 to 4.0 hours which is a great pace for me when playing competitively. Tournaments stretch out further and your club seems handle it better than mine but it is what it is

Of course tournament play is slower than casual golf. If it isn't,  you're possibly taking your casual golf too seriously.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Of course tournament play is slower than casual golf. If it isn't,  you're possibly taking your casual golf too seriously.

That's always been my experience.

Note: This thread is 4818 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!