IGNORED

When do you consider someone a "good golfer"?

adamgoodman
Note: This thread is 4815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Okay, for me score is a small part of what makes a "good golfer".  A "good golfer" is someone who can hit quality shots the majority of the time.  No big slices or big hooks.  Very few chunks, chili dippers, and skulls, etc.  They can almost always have a reasonable chance at a par or better from the middle to back tees.  They will not be the shortest hitter on the course but they don't have to be the longest either.  In order to do any of those things one must have practiced a considerable amount as well as have at least some small amount of talent.

A good score will come sometimes for a good golfer but so will a bad score.  Tiger just shot a 75 for goodness sake so I think using an exact number to qualify a good golfer is a bit goofy.

If you want to talk scores, anyone who can shoot 75 or better every round is a "great golfer".  (Unless we're talking about professionals and then a 75 every round will get them unemployment)

What's in my bag:
Driver: taylormade.gifBurner 09 Stiff 9.5*
Fairway Woods: adams.gifRPM Low Profile 3 & 5
Irons: mizuno.gifMP 57 - 3-PW Project X 5.5
Wedges: wilson.gifREG. 588 54* &cleveland.gif 60*Putter: ping.gifAnserBall: titleist.gifProV1x Home Course: Forest Ridge Golf Club

By the OP's intent, it's just too subjective to get any sort of real consensus.  To the guy who shoots in the 120's, a 100 shooter is a great golfer.  To that 100 shooter, the guy who can break 90 is pretty darn good.  To the bogey golfer, it's a single digit capper.... etc., etc.  For me as a mid 80's shooter, anyone in the 70's regularly is pretty good.

And no way I'll agree that you you just throw out etiquette and course conduct.  If you're an asshole you aren't a good all-around golfer.  Maybe a skilled player, but that's just one piece of the puzzle.  I see being a golfer as involving more than just swinging a golf club.  Any jackass can swing a golf club. (I've known a few of them.)

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Someone in roughly the upper 15% of those who play a couple times a year. I know that "those who play a couple times a year" includes a lot of hackers, but when I hear "good" I think in relation to the average golfer, not the average serious golfer. Most people who play don't even keep a handicap at all. Of those who track their handicap, I'd guess that a good number actually keep a legit one, but plenty of people (like myself) just keep it for fun since they have no need of an official one. So that's probably somewhere around having a handicap of roughly 15 or breaking 85 on average.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Well the definition of 'good' is ' superior to the average'. The average person who plays golf can't break 100 . But just because you tee it up 4 or 5 times a year, I don't really think of you as golfer. For argument sake lets just look at folks that keep an index as that drops out most of the folks that only play a few times per year. The average USGA cap in 16.1, so I would say once ye get below 15 you are 'good', low single digits - very good, scratch or better - excellent. Once you get on one of the major tours you are 'world class'

Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

Originally Posted by The Recreational Golfer

I think a good golfer is someone who has the skills to say that par is a reasonable expectation on most of the holes that they play.

Not that they always do get the par, but they have the ability to.

The most sensible reply I've read so far.

I would add to it...if you can play with players who are good to excellent (low cappers, scratch or better) without slowing them down and/or embarassign yourself, you're pretty good. EVERYONE, pros included, hits a bad/loose shot once in a while. Sh*t, a scratch golfer probably hits 4 or 5. This notion that good/great players never hit horrendous shots is ridiculous.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Originally Posted by Fourputt

By the OP's intent, it's just too subjective to get any sort of real consensus.

My intent isn't to actually get a definite answer, I just wanted to spur discussion and hear everyone's different perspectives...

Originally Posted by The Recreational Golfer

I think a good golfer is someone who has the skills to say that par is a reasonable expectation on most of the holes that they play.

Not that they always do get the par, but they have the ability to.

+1

Note: This thread is 4815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!