IGNORED

Square to the Arc (from Roy)

Note: This thread is 1119 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• 1 year later...

http://www.golfpro-online.com/tuition/lking/six.html

By "swing arc" I assume you mean the (nearly) circular arc traveled by the club head on the backswing, and later on the downswing.  By "square to the arc," I assume you mean that a line drawn perpendicular to the club face is at all times tangent to the arc.

It works for me.  I just have to make sure that I have an extreme weak grip.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Joe Mama

Did you read the 75 posts which came before?

That 2D picture is not representative of 3D space. It's impossible unless you make a goofy swing that nobody in the history of single digit play let alone better has ever made.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Iacas, you said....... " Roy, the simple fact of the matter is that in every golf swing, the clubface does not stay square to the plane past about the position where the shaft is horizontal to the ground on the backswing. In every golf swing (and by that I mean everybody's full golf swing, not any swing ever made), the clubface will rotate to a position that's about 90 degrees from "square to the plane."

Just a couple of points Roy mentioned he was using a very strong 4 knuckle grip and that reminded me of the Jerry Heard "super swing". Occasionally I'll have a few swings like this at the range.

Interesting grip.......super strong top hand with the thumb running down the back of the shaft so it would feel like the hammer and nail analogy  that Roy was trying to pass on.

Bottom hand....also with the thumb running down the back of the shaft and the knuckles pointing towards the target.

So when you pick up the club the and swing up to the top, the clubface can stay square to the target.

It's an interesting swing method with alot of power, the only downside is you must keep the bottom hand thumb travelling down the line and not rolling over.

Also Jack Kuykendalls "E2E " swing is a swing with no wrist cock and a square to the line clubhead.

Maybe Roy was referring to something like Heards grip and swing.

Taking the above advice may lead to destruction of your golf game. Laughing at it may reduce stress.

• Administrator

I stand by what I said. Nobody's played low handicap let alone + or pro golf keeping the clubface square to the arc the entire time. It's not the wrist cock that keeps the clubface square to the arc (or throws it off), it's the lead forearm rolling.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 months later...

Thank God i have found this thread , i have been playing like this for years but because i thought i was the only one i kept going back to the more conventional swing with poor results . my pro just kept telling me it was shut on the back swing and i kept saying no it is square to the arc !!! it just makes sense not to rotate the dam club !!

you dont rotate your wrists people , you cock them back almost like slapping someone with the back of your left wrist , and you need a strong grip . i you try iot with a conv- grip you wont be able to do it

Originally Posted by barlucjak

you dont rotate your wrists people , you cock them back almost like slapping someone with the back of your left wrist , and you need a strong grip . i you try iot with a conv- grip you wont be able to do it

No you don't need wrist, for what ever swing you make. But fact remains, if you read this thread that the club will naturally rotate in the backswing, you can not get to a parallel position at the top with out the arms rotating, this is because you go from a straight right arm to a bent one, this naturally rotates the left forearm over and creates a 90 degree angle between the clubface and the swing path. This is why many pros are said to have the face square at the top, when the clubface matches the swing path, if you draw a line its inline, 90 degrees rotated from address. Some will have it more closed, bow wrist, some with have it open, cupped wrist, but it doesn't vary to much, not even close to getting to square.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

With all the earlier discussions about this topic, and now with it being it brought up again, I would love to see this "always square to the arc" swing in action, or even in full swing photos. No one was ever able to demonstrate it. Maybe barlucjak will be the one!

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Harmonious

With all the earlier discussions about this topic, and now with it being it brought up again, I would love to see this "always square to the arc" swing in action, or even in full swing photos. No one was ever able to demonstrate it. Maybe barlucjak will be the one!

I too would like to see that.

The horse is dead already. Stop poking it with the golf clubs. The pro "square to the arc" members are reminiscent of trolls. Or simply unable to participate in a debate.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I think I can see where Roy is coming from to a point. I feel like I keep my club face square to the arc for as long as possible so there's less "squaring" on the downswing making it easier to hit consistent shots. I think he thinks that since your club face is facing the sky at the top that it FEELS "square to the arc" when in fact it's not..my 2 cents

- Jered

Originally Posted by jclark

I think I can see where Roy is coming from to a point. I feel like I keep my club face square to the arc for as long as possible so there's less "squaring" on the downswing making it easier to hit consistent shots. I think he thinks that since your club face is facing the sky at the top that it FEELS "square to the arc" when in fact it's not..my 2 cents

Since you move the club on at least two planes, question is which one you would be square to.

If it is or not dosnt matter if your able to improve your impact.

People simply put dont understand the plane and the Hogan reference many quote is highly flawed.

Robert Something

Its just physically impossible to make a full backswing and keep the clubface square to the target, unless your double jointed or can dislocated your arms with out any problems afterwards, its not possible. If your willing to accept that you can make a 90 degree shoulder turn, keeping the clubface square, the club will not be at the top of the swing, your arms at most will be shoulder height. If your willing to accept that as the length of your swing, then more power to ya.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

sorry guys i do not proclaim to be a golf guru or how the swing really works but the only way i can describe the feeling is if i stood in front of you and told you to smack me with the back of your left hand you prob would not rotate it first it would just simple swing back like a door and back through on one axis , try it , stand there and pretend to slap someone with the back of your left hand . That is the feeling i have in my swing with shoulder turn , with short irons i sometimes dont need much shoulder turn , but i can not do it without a strong grip . (cup the left wrist i guess ) rather than rotate

Now i am not saying it does stay square ? but it feels like it and i def dont rotate my forearm..

ps , i dont want any abuse because this is just how i feel my swing

i am a quite athletic 40 year old and can get the club past par with this swing , i prob will struggle with it when older i dont deny that :(

i have also used the conventional swing where i rotate my forearm

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=24GuWVL1wRkC&pg;=PT23&lpg;=PT23&dq;=club+face+stays+square+to+the+arc&source;=bl&ots;=njgwe2zro7&sig;=lxl_U_HxMHHLJ_cGxHu8PlIo9J0&hl;=en&sa;=X&ei;=mEFAUafCMqmc0QXCsYCoCA&ved;=0CDAQ6AEwADgU

• Administrator
Originally Posted by barlucjak

sorry guys i do not proclaim to be a golf guru or how the swing really works but the only way i can describe the feeling is if i stood in front of you and told you to smack me with the back of your left hand you prob would not rotate it first it would just simple swing back like a door and back through on one axis , try it , stand there and pretend to slap someone with the back of your left hand . That is the feeling i have in my swing with shoulder turn , with short irons i sometimes dont need much shoulder turn , but i can not do it without a strong grip . (cup the left wrist i guess ) rather than rotate

Now i am not saying it does stay square ? but it feels like it and i def dont rotate my forearm..

ps , i dont want any abuse because this is just how i feel my swing

i am a quite athletic 40 year old and can get the club past par with this swing , i prob will struggle with it when older i dont deny that :(

i have also used the conventional swing where i rotate my forearm

It doesn't stay "square" and the problem with your analogy is that your right arm/hand is not "on the club" when you are slapping someone. They're not analogous situations.

I'm glad you have a feel that works for you, but as we see all the time, feel ain't real.

Note: This thread is 1119 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!