IGNORED

Wedges

Note: This thread is 4756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm looking to purchase some new wedges and looking for opinions.

Two years ago I bought Mizuno MP-R's.  I absolutely LOVE the feel of the clubs, but was VERY disappointed at how quickly they wore out and lost spin.  I have read some reviews on the MPT-10's and it seems like they've improved the spin.  I guess I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone hadthe MPT-10's for a while that can attest to the life and quality of them?

2. Does anyone have any recomendations for wedges that have good spin and will not wear out in half a season

3. Does anyone have any experience with groove sharpeners?  I have considered purchasing a groove sharpener for my current wedges but don't want to ruin them

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions

Titleist Vokey's are supposed to be very good, and I have heard Fourteen Wedges out of Japan are very good, don't know how either brand wear's

I have the mpt 10s and I'm going on my 3rd season with them so I'd say they have good durability. I had mp-Rs and they lasted me about 2-3 seasons.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Sounds as if you practice and play a lot to wear your wedges that quickly -- I would suggest you buy them cheap - callawaypreowned.com, golfio, etc. have OEM wedges for less than retail. Sign up for the callawaypreowned emails - you'll get notice on sales, etc.

If you want some guaranteed not to wear, bobby jones - dave pelz/jesse ortiz have an insert they claim doesn't wear down.

Personally, I'd just buy the last year's OEM model that is on sale if you wear them down that much... and get them at reduced prices.

Another trick with wedges or any club is to clean them every 6-10 shots - the sand/turf blasting against the ball will wear them down much quicker -- clean those grooves every several shots. I keep a brush in my pocket when I practice.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Anything cast isn't going to wear out as fast. Vokeys, especially the ones with the chromed finishes (brushed or the older ones that just have chrome) are going to last longer.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Are you still getting a high amount of spin from your mpt 10s? I practice/play a decent amount, but I wouldn't say a lot.

Anyone have any experience with groove sharpeners?

Originally Posted by akw512

2. Does anyone have any recomendations for wedges that have good spin and will not wear out in half a season

...just about any wedge on the market will last 99% of a mateurs longer than 1/2 of a season. Best advice I can offer is to keep your grooves as clean as possible.

Callaway X-Hot Tour GD Tour AD DI-7 Sonartec SS-3.5 16* FTP-X Adams Idea Super S 19* Matrix Kujoh
Bridgestone J33B DG X100 Mizuno MP 53*6 Mizuno MP 56*10 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported
Mizuno MP 60*6 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 Callaway Tourix

GHIN: 10436305

I like my wedges with a little bit of wear. They may not spin as much as a new one, but they're more consistent. Plus you can buy second hand wedges for dirt cheap.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I used the MP R for several seasons and really liked them, just bought T 10 with my new set for this season so really can't speak to longevity for them.

However, I have bought a groove sharpner and the one I bought worked great. http://groovesharpener.com/uv_tool.html I first used it on a pretty old Wilson forged sand wedge with V grooves and could not believe how well it worked.  I have used it to touch up the grooves on my MP R's and I think you will be able to tell the difference.  If I don't like the T 10 I will be working over the grooves on my MP R and switching back to them.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I play about 60 rounds a year with lots of time on the practice range.  My wedges (Vokeys) are fully worn out after 2 seasons, so that doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

I have a MPT-10 sandie, and really like it.  I have only had it for a half-season, so I don't have experience on comparisons to my MP-R and old MP-T's as far as durability.

Sounds like you should be buying used wedges based on how quickly you use 'em up  (buy 'em cheap, and stack 'em deep).

Ive had my MP T-10 since last August and even playing 2-3 times per week I havent noticed any groove wear.  IMO, it depends how many sand shots you hit.  Any wedge is going to wear out quickly in the sand.  I dont end up in the bunkers very often, so for me its not an issue.

The only way you are going to get away from that is to get a stainless wedge from an SGI set.  Cast or forged, most wedges are carbon steel.  Contrary to what some people think, carbon steel is what gives softness; not whether a club is cast or forged.

Another thing to consider is that raw or oilcan wedges will wear out quicker than chrome wedges because the chrome is a protective finish.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by akw512

Are you still getting a high amount of spin from your mpt 10s? I practice/play a decent amount, but I wouldn't say a lot.

Anyone have any experience with groove sharpeners?

Yeah the spin is fine... I have some wear marks on the face and I will probably pick up some new wedges mid season. Do you practice off of mats a lot?

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Originally Posted by clubchamp

Yeah the spin is fine... I have some wear marks on the face and I will probably pick up some new wedges mid season. Do you practice off of mats a lot?

When I first got the wedges I did, yes.  Being from Michigan I didn't have a choice but to practice indoors.  I hit my wedges off the mat a lot to get used to them when I first got them.

I just picked up a Vokey 56 after testing out the Cleveland CG16 and Mizuno MP series.

They're all good imo but the feel of the Vokey is amazing to me.

cleveland.gif XL270 Driver /10.5
cleveland.gif TL3W
Tour Edge JGold Max Bazooka Hybrids: 5-P 
cleveland.gifCG16 Black Pearls: 52, 56, 60
odyssey.gif TERON srixon.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys.....i just realized my new pitching wedge has a pretty low 45 degree loft. So, what gap wedge should i get?

I have a Cleveland 60 lob. Should i get a more standard 49 degree PW with a 52 or just get a 50 w/o buying a new pw?

cleveland.gif XL270 Driver /10.5
cleveland.gif TL3W
Tour Edge JGold Max Bazooka Hybrids: 5-P 
cleveland.gifCG16 Black Pearls: 52, 56, 60
odyssey.gif TERON srixon.gif

Originally Posted by stjames

Hey guys.....i just realized my new pitching wedge has a pretty low 45 degree loft. So, what gap wedge should i get?

I have a Cleveland 60 lob. Should i get a more standard 49 degree PW with a 52 or just get a 50 w/o buying a new pw?

I personally would just get a new 50*.  You don't want to change your PW to a 49* and end up with a huge yardage gap between your PW and your 9I.  I too have an aggresively lofted PW and am debating exactly what I want to do for wedges, but I think I've decide to go 52, 56, 60.  If I feel like I have too much gap between my PW and 52, I'll get it bent a degree or two

Wishon  715 CLC-AXE5 A shaft -hard steppedt -44.5"
4 wood-Infiniti 17*-UST IROD A shaft-Hard stepped(2009 model)
Hybrids 19* & 24*-Trident DSW-UST IROD Hybrid A shaft-hard stepped (2009 model)
Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R
Wedges-52*-Wilson JP BeCE(54* bent to 52*)-TT-Release sensicore-hard stepped R

56*Wilson R-61 BECU Sandy Andy- Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

60* Wilson Harmonized BECU-Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Woods- Star Grips  Irons Energy Grips

:Putter-Rife IBF with Ping Blackout Grip-35"

Ball-Wilson Staff Zip Golf. or C-25

Note: This thread is 4756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!