IGNORED

Wilson Staff Ci9 Irons

Note: This thread is 3477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am thinking about getting these irons and have heard good things

Does anyone, or has anyone played them here?

Decent price for them:

http://www.golftown.com/Wilson-Staff-Ci9-Irons-Steel-P1100.aspx

Would it be an improvement over my slingshots?

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I have heard good things and I went to took at them in person, and I think they're a super nice.  One thing to consider, they are $500 at Golftown plus tax, so total of $570.  There is a very reputable seller on ebay selling them for $345 plus $36 shipping.  They use USPS, and I can tell you from tons of shipping from U.S. to Canada experience, that oustide of taxes, I have never been hit with any additional fees when using USPS.  So at worst you would pay $345 plus tax, $393 plus $36 shipping, so a total of $429, which is a $140 dollar savings.  It is a buy it now item, so the price will not go up.  A lot of times I used USPS and have not even been charged taxes, so the savings could be even greater!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item;=110661421804

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by mikefjohnson

I have heard good things and I went to took at them in person, and I think they're a super nice.  One thing to consider, they are $500 at Golftown plus tax, so total of $570.  There is a very reputable seller on ebay selling them for $345 plus $36 shipping.  They use USPS, and I can tell you from tons of shipping from U.S. to Canada experience, that oustide of taxes, I have never been hit with any additional fees when using USPS.  So at worst you would pay $345 plus tax, $393 plus $36 shipping, so a total of $429, which is a $140 dollar savings.  It is a buy it now item, so the price will not go up.  A lot of times I used USPS and have not even been charged taxes, so the savings could be even greater!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item;=110661421804

Wow....that is frikken awesome. Thank you. I may just bute the bullet here and get them, especially for that price. Thanks mate

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

You're welcome.  I have a friend who works at Golftwon and the cheapest he could them was $425 + tax.  I almost bought this set of the ebay seller, but then my wife bought me new irons, and that is the only reason I didn't get them.

Originally Posted by Kieran123

Wow....that is frikken awesome. Thank you. I may just bute the bullet here and get them, especially for that price. Thanks mate

In one of my sacks of sticks..... [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/119102/width/1000/height/800][IMG]http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/119102/width/1000/height/500[/IMG][/URL] The FST ss105 is probably the best feeling stock shafts I have EVER played. When you hit it pure it is orgasmic!
  • Upvote 1

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

I just bought this set in an attempt to give myself a bit of a challenge. I already own a set of Di7 and I was surprised to see that I had absolutely no problem hitting these new clubs. The shaft(regular) feels softer than the ones on my Di7's(uniflex). I'm a bit curious on the difference between these two shafts and since i couldn't find any numbers on the web, i've mailed W/S and asked them for more stats.

I've only had them for a few days so I need to test them some more, but some differences I've noticed between the sets:

* The Ci9 shots go approximately 5 yards shorter. 2.5 yards would be expected due to different lofts.

* Easier to draw/fade. The talk about 'shaping your shots' was true. Good  feature if you do it on purpose. :)

* They feel softer than Di7.

* Wonderful feeling when you hit the sweetspot.

* Looks less plastic in real life than on photos.

Overall impression: I love them. :)

Originally Posted by JobJob

* The Ci9 shots go approximately 5 yards shorter. 2.5 yards would be expected due to different lofts.

After a few hundred shots and analyzing Trackman data I see that the distance loss from Di7 to Ci9 is more like 7-8 yards  on average. The cause of this is that Ci9 shots get a higher launch angle and goes a few yards higher, with less roll as a result. The loft difference between the two sets are between 0.5 and 1 degrees. Most of the data analyzed comes from my 5, 7, and 9 irons.

• 11 months later...

The Di series is their distance iron....

Ci is more for control shaping etc.....

As stated the lofts are stronger ie Pw 47 Di   48.5 Ci  (Reliable info but don't bet the farm on the numbers)

I bought Di5's several years ago and they are just long as hell irons....Noticably longer when I huff and Puff before the shot...lol

Di5 will certainly shape shots as well...The Nano graphite UST shaft in these irons is terrific...

I am ready to move up into newer Staff irons this year, but I do not want to lose too much distance with my normal swings....

From experience who would recommend Ci  or Di -  and why - shaft info include in answer please...

Thanks

Bill

The Di series is their distance iron....

Ci is more for control shaping etc.....

As stated the lofts are stronger ie Pw 47 Di   48.5 Ci  (Reliable info but don't bet the farm on the numbers)

I bought Di5's several years ago and they are just long as hell irons....Noticably longer when I huff and Puff before the shot...lol

Di5 will certainly shape shots as well...The Nano graphite UST shaft in these irons is terrific...

I am ready to move up into newer Staff irons this year, but I do not want to lose too much distance with my normal swings....

From experience who would recommend Ci  or Di -  and why - shaft info include in answer please...

Thanks

Bill

Just an FYI....the Ci9's and Di9 & Di11 all have the same strong lofts ie: 44* PW, 48* GW I've played all 3 and LOVED the Ci9's. The FST ss105 shafts in the Ci9 is one of the best "stock" shafts I've played. Plenty forgiving! Actually found the Ci9's less punishing on mishits than the other 2.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up a set of W/S CI9's last fall and due to a surgery really didn't get a chance to hit them often till over the winter at a range. just started playing over the last month and I like them a lot, the shafts (FST 105s) are great and if I do my part I can repeat shot placement to within a yard or so. Can also shape the ball using Wilson Staff D25 balls. I was able to get them for 299 shipped free but I think deals are still out there on the web.

Originally Posted by Chanceman

Can you tell me how the W/S Ci9s compare tothe  Mizuno JPX line?

Same thing, half the price, and if you  are obsessed with the tag of "forged" the mizunos are but the wilsons are cast, and they feel exactly the same.

• Upvote 1

:cobra: Fly-Z+ White
:callaway: XR 3 Wood
:adams: Idea Pro Black 21*
:callaway: XR 4 Hybrid
:callaway: Apex 5, Apex Pro 6,7 Apex MB 8,9,P
:tmade: 50° Gap Wedge
:callaway: Mack Daddy 2 54° 58°
:nike: Method 001 33"

• 2 years later...

I've played forged irons for most of my life but have recently in the last 4 months started using the Ci9's...they feel like forged and the FST shafts are perfect for me as I'm 63 years old and need something a bit softer and lighter. Wilson Staff used to be the best irons in the 50's, 60's and 70's but fell off due to lack of investment in R&D; but now they are back and the best kept secret in irons.

I've played these for the last 2 or 3 years. They have strong lofts so they go pretty far, I'm getting mine weakened soon. They were very, very good for the price, I got mine for like 2 or 300 bucks 2 or 3 years ago. I definantly reccomend them. I also don't know if wilson fell off due to lack of investment. I was told it was because before the Internet, people bought clubs from a company like wilson who was big and we'll known to everybody. Now smaller, more specialized company's can start up and get their products known. So big companies like wilson and now Nike are now slightly less appealing. But idk I want around then.

Note: This thread is 3477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!