IGNORED

I usually wear jeans and a t-shirt to the golf course. So?

PaulMVR
Note: This thread is 4774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by nevets88

I'd rather see someone in jeans and t-shirt than sweat pants and sweatshirt.

Overall I agree, but some golf rain pants look like some sweat pants, so even some gray area there.

Maybe I'm not a traditionalist, but I don't really care what material the clothes are made of, I'm more concerned with the appearance.  Any pants, shorts or shirts that don't fit properly, are wrinkled or torn aren't visually appealing IMO.  I'd rather see a nice clean pair of jeans than dirty khakis with holes that look like they were slept in.   Overall I don't really care what anyone wears, it's not my business, but if I had to take a position, I'd prefer people dress neatly rather than getting hung up on the material or type of clothing.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by saevel25

A getlemen is how the person acts, not what he wears. I rather see 4 people playing in jeans and tank tops who know the rules of golf and conduct themselves accordinly, than 4 people wearing the latest in golf fashion and act like assholes.

Overall, I agree with your opening statement with one caveat; the decision to act in an appropriate manner tends to also govern the decision to dress in an appropriate manner given the circumstances.  Hence, a (true) gentleman knows how to act and dress accordingly.  That being said, the question at hand seems to be; are jeans appropriate for the golf course?  Depending on each individual's golf course environment, the answer could be yes or no.  At that point, it's up to the individual golfer to decide whether or not to wear jeans depending on their particular golf course environment.  It is also at that point that a (true) gentleman doesn't judge another's appearance based on their own biases and prejudices.

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

WOW!  now I know why you have the moniker meenman. You rarely have anything nice to say about anything do you.

I do apologize if calling a spade a spade offends you. An 8 post guy calling me out makes me wish that you dared to post under your real handle.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Originally Posted by meenman

Quote:

Originally Posted by John King

WOW!  now I know why you have the moniker meenman. You rarely have anything nice to say about anything do you.

I do apologize if calling a spade a spade offends you. An 8 post guy calling me out makes me wish that you dared to post under your real handle.

Do I have enough posts yet to call you a cranky judgmental poser? Not saying you are one, but you know what I'm sayin'.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Do I have enough posts yet to call you a cranky judgmental poser? Not saying you are one, but you know what I'm sayin'.

Whether I agree with you on anything or not, in my book, you can say whatever you want. I know you have made several on here fans of yours. I am just trying to figure out, in what world, someone would be offended for being given facts.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Originally Posted by meenman

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Whether I agree with you on anything or not, in my book, you can say whatever you want. I know you have made several on here fans of yours. I am just trying to figure out, in what world, someone would be offended for being given facts.

Jeans on the course is both a regional and cultural thing. The only wrong answer is the one that doesn't get you invited back.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by nevets88 I'd rather see someone in jeans and t-shirt than sweat pants and sweatshirt.

Both look tacky and out of place on a golf course.  There is such a thing as appropriate dress for a given situation.  Just as you wouldnt wear blue jeans to a wedding or a funeral, you dont wear them on a golf course.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

Both look tacky and out of place on a golf course.  There is such a thing as appropriate dress for a given situation.  Just as you wouldnt wear blue jeans to a wedding or a funeral, you dont wear them on a golf course.

Playing golf is not the same as going to a funeral or wedding.

Originally Posted by darkhunter139

Playing golf is not the same as going to a funeral or wedding.

A job interview is not the same as going to a funeral or wedding, yet wearing jeans to one is frowned upon. I.e., just because two things are not the same thing doesn't necessarily mean you dress differently for them. Not taking anyone's side here, just pointing out the flaw in your logic. :-p

Bill

Originally Posted by sean_miller

If I was playing somewhere that I wasn't 100% confident was jeans friendly, I'd never wear them. I probably still wouldn't wear them, but on the other hand, if I'm driving home from work and can fit in 9 holes at the muni - why not?

See below for a google search of "Canadian Tuxedo". It's an older Ontario nickname (so I'm told) but still funny.

http://www.google.ca/images?hl=en&q;=canadian%20tuxedo&wrapid;=tlif130150904723711&um;=1&ie;=UTF-8&source;=og&sa;=N&tab;=wi&biw;=1209&bih;=793

As a fellow Canadian, I find this extremely amusing!!  Why, because there's a ton of truth to it!  LOL.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Originally Posted by Tomboys

Overall, I agree with your opening statement with one caveat; the decision to act in an appropriate manner tends to also govern the decision to dress in an appropriate manner given the circumstances.  Hence, a (true) gentleman knows how to act and dress accordingly.  That being said, the question at hand seems to be; are jeans appropriate for the golf course?  Depending on each individual's golf course environment, the answer could be yes or no.  At that point, it's up to the individual golfer to decide whether or not to wear jeans depending on their particular golf course environment.  It is also at that point that a (true) gentleman doesn't judge another's appearance based on their own biases and prejudices.

Normally I just lurk on the sidelines and enjoy the discussions (thanks to all for the free advice and entertainment), but all of the "what is appropriate golf clothing questions" should just refer to Tomboys comment.  If you find yourself judging the appearance of others at the golf course you're playing, then you're probably the one out of place.  This is one of the few sports where the particpant's socioeconomic status is the primary driver of their playing partners and their peer group at their course/club of choice.

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

A job interview is not the same as going to a funeral or wedding, yet wearing jeans to one is frowned upon. I.e., just because two things are not the same thing doesn't necessarily mean you dress differently for them. Not taking anyone's side here, just pointing out the flaw in your logic. :-p

But they are not directly comparing it to an interview, that would be different.  They are comparing it to playing a round of golf which is suppose to be relaxing and fun for most people that play it. If the course you play at allows jeans then I don't think anyone has a right to look down upon people if they decide to wear what they want.

Sometimes I like to paint my golf trousers with a blue denim pattern and tuck the collar inside my shirt inside just to offend people who are intolerant to jeans and tshirts on a golf course... ;)

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Personally, I can't wait until the day the golf world wakes up and kicks off all the simpletons and vagabonds wearing khakis and a polo shirt and thinking they are true gentleman. Only those who play in long sleeved collared, button down shirts with an appropriate neck piece, with a matching coat, jacket, or vest should be allowed onto any golf course. And I'm sure we can all agree that Wingtip Oxfords are a MINIMUM barrier to entry as well. Anyone with polo's or jeans or khakis or whatever should wallow in the mud with the rest of the filth.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 10.5*
Hybrids: Nickent 4DX 3+, 4, 5
Irons: Ping G15 5 - PW
Wedges: Mizuno MP-R (52*, 56*, 60*)
Putter: Cleveland Classic 4 (34" and 35")

Quote:
No I have never seen a scratch golfer wearing jeans on the course, but I am sure that they exist.

I am one, although I belong to a club that enforces the dress code.  I have no problem with it either way.  I can wear my jeans to the course for 14 more days.

As a private club I think most of our membership would prefer people dress appropriately.  Even when i wear jeans it's usually with a polo or wind shirt.

During the summer I wear shorts mostly.  I would love a closet full of loud mouth golf pants,  I would wear them every round.  I love that stuff.

Note: This thread is 4774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!