Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iacas

"The Timeless Swing" by Tom Watson

4 posts in this topic

Discuss "The Timeless Swing" by Tom Watson here.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This isn't a review of the book; I just got it yesterday. I "paged through" a few sections last night, but the book looks good - informative, helpful. I think Tom Watson is a classy guy, with that "fatherly" attitude and his book reflects that same manner. I did see in some of the chapters, Tom talks to his swing, his methods and then to US . the book has parts that says (in essesence), for you amateurs, you should ... ... ...

I cannot wait to delve into the book this weekend (high temps in the 40's, no golf in WI) and also come back on here and see what others are saying as well. Enjoy!!

Look forward to hearing how it is. I saw him on the golf channel the other day and heard a few talking about the book. I will definitely be ordering it soon.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just picked up this book last night after reading the first 48 pages in the Cafe' at Barnes & Noble.  Pretty good read so far.  The photographs do a great job of showing what he is teaching. In addition the book has bar coded video lessons.  I still need to download the app to access but they link up to what was being described in the book.  I will be reading this  over the next few days while I am on vacation and should be able to take some of his methods out to the range and course to see how they play.  I will update as go along.  I have not seen any talking down to us amateurs.  So far it has been more like this "I see this with Amateurs" or " my high handicap friends".   

'

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2017 TST Partners

PING Golf
    Leupold Golf
    Snell Golf
    Talamore Golf Resort
    Lowest Score Wins
    • Right elbow in, swing is on plane, ball going straight.  That's what I'm looking for at this stage.  Next lesson is Thursday.  
    • Do not want to give his name out, but one of my clients is a former PGA tour player.  Easily the best player I have ever played with.  He was what you would call a journeyman on tour, but did win several millions of dollars and is not hurting these days.  The putter gave him issues or he would have done much better on tour because ball striking is definitely not an issue. Its interesting to watch someone at that level play the game.  Club selection, course management, shot making abilities, etc.  Its really cool to watch.    Makes me realize how much I do not know about the game, but I try and learn as much as I can when I have the chance to play with him.  
    • What's amazing is that this philosophy hasn't changed in more than 100 years. There are so many quick fix posts in every golf blog, it's amazing that the golf swing can seem so simple and yet is really difficult to do. Most people think how hard can it be to put a ball into a hole? The answer is "it's definitely not easy"  
    • a new number one from this event.  I think DJ could really stay at the top if he keeps his putter hot.
    • I think his distinction between swinging and hitting is quite blurry now. Dr Mann started with a definite no-go with regards mixing hitting and swinging but then he has slowly introduced options. Plus he has revised some of his original comments. example: 1. You must not cock your right wrist  Then  It is quite permissible to allow a natural cocking of  your right wrist,  especially if the arms are moving up a steeper plane than the shoulder plane. 2. You must keep your flying wedges intact. Then It is quite acceptable to palmer flex (bow)  your left wrist for stability purposes ( which breaks that intact flying wedge because it moves the clubshaft  to a shallower plane than if one hadn't palmer flexed) 3. The left arm is inert and is blasted away from the chest by the active pivot action Then I believe that the lead shoulder girdle muscles can be used to help release PA4 4. You must not use any hittting action with the right arm  Then The right arm can be used to synergistically assist the release of PA4  , PA2 and PA3  as long as it doesn't become a dominant factor which would be a 'Hitting' motion. So this means there can be some hit in the swinging motion but within limits (now that is quite a blurry definition). Its like experiment with your swing and find the right amount of swing and hit that doesn't cause timing problems with your swing ( so how does one figure this one out for each and every swing one does on the golf course- each swing will be slightly different depending on your intent?). 5. He talks about a pitch elbow position (in front of the right hip) for swinging while punch elbow  (more to the right side) for hitting but there is no mention about how this can be achieved with people who have different upper vs lower arm measurements and differing elbow movements. For example, I cannot pitch my elbow over my right hip by letting it lead in front of the hands , without having to do a major secondary tilt (head over my right foot). 6. Weight Shift - Apparently your COG position is retained up to impact but there are varying COP's depending on the individual golfer (ie. Bubba and others have less COP on their lead leg - rear foot golfers , while many others have significantly more COP on their front foot - front foot golfers). The theory behind this is using data from pressure plates that measure vertical forces but his explanation using ratios of body mass left or right of the COG line (from a face-one view) doesn't make sense. If your COG is in a constant position , then shouldn't there be equal body mass  ratios around the central vertical axis through that COG position?  When people talk about PRESSURE ,, then isn't that 'FORCE PER UNIT AREA' ? So a high COP doesn't necessarily mean there is more 'mass weight' over that area . It could actually mean the same 'mass weight' applied over a smaller area (ie. maybe on a smaller area of foot contacting the ground).  7. There is no mention of swing anchor positions and their relevant importance during address/setup.  For example, when I try and hit balls using the front 'one leg drill'  method - I cannot follow-through and fall backwards to keep balance. When I try and hit balls using the rear 'one leg drill'  method I am perfectly in balance. With feet together drill I can also just about keep in balance but I do feel more pressure on my rear leg into impact. This sort of proves that I my COG favours pivoting more towards my rear hip and I should set up at address to meet my biomechanical pattern. None of this has been mentioned my Dr Mann yet and I suspect he may have to revise all his papers and state a caveat saying that 'some' of his suggested swing instructions only applies to golfer that have specific biomechanical patterns. That if their elbows, 'hip joints' and wrist hinge movements are like 'this' or 'that' , then 'this' or 'that' specific instruction applies. That should take another 10 years to fully document and analyse by which time my knees, back and hips will be shot to pieces.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. Danny The Pin Seeker
      Danny The Pin Seeker
      (19 years old)
    2. Rick_D
      Rick_D
      (67 years old)
    3. ScottHoganGolf
      ScottHoganGolf
      (31 years old)