IGNORED

"One in a Million" (aka WTF) Moments

Stretch
Note: This thread is 1167 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My lie after a drive...what are the odds?

A95D1F61-47FA-4898-9297-7BBDAC45B403.thumb.jpeg.48376c402da006e50ef20f754e81a1f7.jpeg

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 11 months later...

I’ve actually got a few more moments I’d like to share, the last two of which were from a recent round.

1) A good while back, me and a buddy were playing a quick afternoon nine. On the second hole, he had just under 100 yards for his approach. He hit the flag on the fly with his 58 degree shot and it spun back to about 25 feet. We both knew that if it had missed the flag, it would’ve probably been within 5 feet.

2) This is more of a funny moment than one in a million, but I’ll share it anyway. The fifth hole on the course we were playing was a long par 4, but I bombed a drive and had only 150 in. My approach drifted a bit right of the green, but it caught an embankment on that side and tumbled down to about six feet. Maybe not my best shot of the day (I didn’t catch it super clean), but it was definitely contending with the next moment for my favorite shot.

3) This one is three moments in one. We came to the short par-3 17th (our eighth hole of the day since we started on the back), and we had some swirling wind. One of the guys my bro and I played with hit his shot right at the flag, and it ended up lipping out! Then I hit a bullet right at it too, and mine touched down a foot short of the hole and sucked back about five feet. On the green, my brother, who had missed the green and thinned it over leaving a tougher chip, chipped in for a par while I three-jacked. Two near aces, and a chip in. All on the same hole.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Not as weird as yours and others have probably done it too but I was playing a course that had a lot of geese on it. I hit my drive and hit a goose in the neck, square, the ball just dropped down. The goose looked me 'thinking what the hell are you doing' and walked away unhurt, (thank God). Another time I hit a deer in the hind quarters that was in the fairway, it too was unhurt. I need to be careful around animals I have a habit of hitting them.

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the early 80's- Par 5 protected by a 30' wide river in front of the green. I hit a decent drive, went for the green with a cut 4 wood rather than lean on a turned over 3 iron that wouldn't stop. Overcooked the fade. It came down on the bridge over the river, bounced up and hit the railing on the bridge, bounced high and hard left and came to rest six or seven inches from the pin.

Here’s another one. This was back in my freshman year of high school (I’m a junior now), in the second-to-last match before regionals. The second hole on this particular course was a par 5, I’m pretty sure it was around 520 from the tees we played.

I hooked my drive into a sort of waste area, but it was counted as a lateral hazard. I actually caught a huge break, managing to catch about the only half-decent lie in that area. So I took my hybrid (being careful not to ground my club, of course) and caught it clean, knocking it to the center of the fairway about 150 yards up. But I still had about 180 to the green, so I hit the same hybrid and nailed it onto the green, about 20 feet from the hole. To make it even better, I rolled in the birdie putt. This after I just about pronounced myself dead walking off the tee.

I went on to shoot a 47, which was a very solid 9-hole score for me back then, but it was even better because it was on a course I’d never laid eyes on, off the blue tees, and considering despite the birdie on the second hole, I was +5 through three.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

On 4/17/2011 at 10:05 AM, Stretch said:

Anyone else had any truly bizarre and statistically improbable experiences out there?

About the 33rd hold of USGA qualifier and I was around even par. Tee shot was very difficult due to diagonal creek.  The rough was not bad.  I decided to hit driver to the rough just in front of the next tee box.  I saw my ball laying just before the ladies tee on the next hole.  I get out there and the ball is gone.  It was a par 3.  I approached the green and asked if they saw a ball.  One of the players says to a caddy, "Hey, you picked up a ball on the other side of the ladies tee" and he denied it.  No pleading and he would not fess up.   It gets better.

I declare a lost ball.  I go back to the tee and the clowns behind me tell me I had to play behind them.  f***en USGA qualifier.  Anyways,  I lay up with a 4 iron and the 4 clowns tee off with me.  I get out to the fairway.  My Titleist Professional Black with three black dots is sitting there.  I hit another 4 iron onto the green.  One of the clowns says, "Hey.  Are you playing a Titleist Professional Black with three black dots?"   Yes.   He says, "me too, but I have a line thru the professional 100 marking.  Lost ball.  Wrong Ball.  Another 4 iron.  Dropped the putt.  My maker says, "Best hockey stick, I ever saw"   I missed qualifying by two shots.  I know I made some mistakes.  I should have called for an Official but I was like 19 and stupidier.   What are the odds.  How many people play a Titleist snowman with three dots>>>????

Note: This thread is 1167 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!