IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Wait guys.. so you are saying you will give him trouble if he shoots 90 as a 2.8 capper as if he was lying about his handicap? And last year that the maximum handicap allowed is a 5 but only 12 people shot 85 or worse? Interesting... Sounds like the opposite of another thread I know..

No comment. :-P

Okay, so I sounds just a tad contradictory. However, Dan is on a downward trend and is claiming to be able to become a pro in another 4000-ish hours of training. He has some agenda towards getting better.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No, as I explained he would need a very high percentage as I don't think his approaches would be up to pro standards, so to succeed he would need to have a perfect lie every time to think about getting close to the pin.

That just isn't possible, maybe if he tees off with a 7 iron but needless to say he is going to have to learn how to hit it out of rough plain and simple.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

No comment.

Okay, so I sounds just a tad contradictory. However, Dan is on a downward trend and is claiming to be able to become a pro in another 4000-ish hours of training. He has some agenda towards getting better.

Well we had someone claiming they could make the US Open this year.. same chances of making the PGA Tour.. only more of a long term goal vs a short term statement. I think that you were jumping sides with the majority. I see where you are coming and I agree with your views on this thread, not the other lol.

I really want to hear from @Lihu on his comment that Dan should not shoot over an 80.

Arrrgh. Okay, you got me, but as I stated in the earlier post Dan is claiming to become a pro and has an agenda.

Phillk is just seeing if he can play an Open Qualifier for fun, presumably.

There's a big difference between the two personalities, and what they could get out of it.

EDIT: Just read your response. I agree with you anecdotally, because I know two + handicappers who have been saying the exact same thing as you. However, character has a lot to do with my argument , and this is my basis against the anecdotal evidence against him.

Neither argument will hold up in a court of law, but I tend to think that the character argument is stronger than the anecdotal.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

No- there is a post here where Phil says "I firmly believe I can make it to Pinehurst" or something along those lines.. pleasse dont make me find it lol.

Well we had someone claiming they could make the US Open this year.. same chances of making the PGA Tour.. only more of a long term goal vs a short term statement. I think that you were jumping sides with the majority. I see where you are coming and I agree with your views on this thread, not the other lol.

Who claimed that they could make it to the US Open this year?  Certainly not phillyk.  Did I miss that one?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I admit I am sort of rooting for Dan to make scratch. As for making the tour? I don't believe in faeries either, sorry Tinkerbell.

I am rooting for Dan too. I think that if you put hard work into this game you get a return on it. I feel like if a guy can make a birdie on one hole he can learn to make a birdie on multiple holes and get better and better. The hardest part is mentally not making mistakes but I truly believe that if you have SOME skill you can get to a high level of golf. I have a similar story and my goal isn't to make it on tour but my goal is to be the best player I can possibly be by 32 and see what level that is. If it ends up being the PGA Tour then I guess I'll take it.

I admit I am sort of rooting for Dan to make scratch. As for making the tour? I don't believe in faeries either, sorry Tinkerbell.

I'm not so sure he can ever get to scratch (I think some of us are even doubting his current HC). It takes a special talent to hit the ball that far with accuracy.

I am rooting for Dan too. I think that if you put hard work into this game you get a return on it. I feel like if a guy can make a birdie on one hole he can learn to make a birdie on multiple holes and get better and better. The hardest part is mentally not making mistakes but I truly believe that if you have SOME skill you can get to a high level of golf. I have a similar story and my goal isn't to make it on tour but my goal is to be the best player I can possibly be by 32 and see what level that is. If it ends up being the PGA Tour then I guess I'll take it.

That's a great and realistic goal. I also hope you can get to a +2 handicap someday. I'm rooting for you to do it!

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

haha- I think I can get there.. I would like to get to a +4.. Fathers day will be my 6th year anniversary from the day I first picked up a club.

Cool. It would be really nice to see one or two course records on your golf resume!

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I had one.. for about 2 months lol. My buddy took over a course and they re-named it so it was a technicality.. it was only a 67.

At the end of the day, I could maybe convince people here that I am a +4 at least lol...

Here's a guy doing a sort of Dan plan on his own dime. His earlier junior experience is sketchy, but he's not using any pretense of proving a hypothesis and wandering into pseudo science land. If what he says is true, 2 months to break 80 and shot 77 1st round in a web.com event after 2 years of full time playing after quitting his job. I'd rather follow this guy if he blogged.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/golf/Ryan+Cook+incredible+story+fallback+plan/9890210/story.html

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I'm not so sure he can ever get to scratch (I think some of us are even doubting his current HC). It takes a special talent to hit the ball that far with accuracy.

Yeah, but I am not going to call him a liar until he proves it in a tournament or two.

Yeah, but I am not going to call him a liar until he proves it in a tournament or two.

Even if he does play bad, don't call him a liar... trust me. Lots of people on here will go after you for saying something like that about a horrible tourney score.

Note: This thread is 2412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!