IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just started reading a book called "Tin Cup Dreams, the Story of a Long Shot making the PGA" At Q-school this "long shot" shot one under par each day for 6 days, and just squeaked by the cutoff because there were more players making the cut that year. This is a great read, should be done tonight and write a little summary. Seems appropriate for this thread.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The thought that all the media outlets possibly thinking he's 2 or 3 shots away from being pro is maddening! If he played at Pinehurst he'd be 30+ shots behind the best score each day. It's a joke!

I think Dan shooting 95 at Pinehurst#2 under us open conditions would be a minor miracle since it would only be 7 or 8 shots higher than what he shot at Royal Oaks, I think somewhere around 110 would be accurate, the greens would be almost unplayable for him.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

[URL]http://thedanplan.com/take-charge-or-stay-the-same/[/URL] Looks like Dan is back after some soul-searching. He was definitely shaken by the Royal Oaks tourney, because he was actually striking the ball decent but the putting and chipping let him down (he ends with an anecdote about hole #17 on Saturday that he said typified his tournament rounds). To save some of you the full read, his analysis has led to two things: 1. Better mental game: he's attending a two-day seminar in Denver (Lynn Marriott and Pia Nilsson) 2. Better stat tracking to focus on the right weaknesses: a. Score within 100yd b. Approach result from 120-200 c. Quality tee shot tracking (including par 3's, and more than just FIR) d. Feet of putts made e. Chipping proximity There's no mention of changing his learning/practice routine, but I'd think he needs to reevaluate all of that. Going to a seminar and tracking new stats will help, but the key for him will be improving how he practices and making sure he is learning from a source that will point him in the right direction (and be available often enough to keep him from going down the wrong path by himself).

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

http://thedanplan.com/take-charge-or-stay-the-same/

Looks like Dan is back after some soul-searching. He was definitely shaken by the Royal Oaks tourney, because he was actually striking the ball decent but the putting and chipping let him down (he ends with an anecdote about hole #17 on Saturday that he said typified his tournament rounds).

To save some of you the full read, his analysis has led to two things:

1. Better mental game: he's attending a two-day seminar in Denver (Lynn Marriott and Pia Nilsson)

2. Better stat tracking to focus on the right weaknesses:

a. Score within 100yd

b. Approach result from 120-200

c. Quality tee shot tracking (including par 3's, and more than just FIR)

d. Feet of putts made

e. Chipping proximity

There's no mention of changing his learning/practice routine, but I'd think he needs to reevaluate all of that. Going to a seminar and tracking new stats will help, but the key for him will be improving how he practices and making sure he is learning from a source that will point him in the right direction (and be available often enough to keep him from going down the wrong path by himself).

Thanks for the executive summary.

I read the link, and comparing it to a book I am reading called "Tin Cup Dreams". I really see no parallel between Dan and the typical PGA long shot. The typical PGA long shot would have at least shot one round in the 60s. Based upon the scores that were quoted in the book, the winners of the tournaments Dan participated sound more likely to be long shots.

Also, his page also seems to have mirrored some of our thoughts that he is shooting like a 13 handicap (10 strokes over).

Not having been with him on the course, it is hard for me to tell if it is really his short game that is giving him trouble or not. If I had to guess, it would be his long game that is his limitation and not his game from 100 yards in.

He is a good writer, and I am sure he can convince more people that coming in nearly dead last in a local tournament was just a minor setback.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

http://thedanplan.com/take-charge-or-stay-the-same/

Looks like Dan is back after some soul-searching. He was definitely shaken by the Royal Oaks tourney, because he was actually striking the ball decent but the putting and chipping let him down (he ends with an anecdote about hole #17 on Saturday that he said typified his tournament rounds).

To save some of you the full read, his analysis has led to two things:

1. Better mental game: he's attending a two-day seminar in Denver (Lynn Marriott and Pia Nilsson)

2. Better stat tracking to focus on the right weaknesses:

a. Score within 100yd

b. Approach result from 120-200

c. Quality tee shot tracking (including par 3's, and more than just FIR)

d. Feet of putts made

e. Chipping proximity

There's no mention of changing his learning/practice routine, but I'd think he needs to reevaluate all of that. Going to a seminar and tracking new stats will help, but the key for him will be improving how he practices and making sure he is learning from a source that will point him in the right direction (and be available often enough to keep him from going down the wrong path by himself).

I read it.  What else would you really expect.

He put himself out there and now has to give some info to his investors/donators.

I personally think he should just keep playing tournament after tournament.  I think he is getting too caught up in tracking and mental game.

Just play.

How well financed is he?  It seems this 'experiment' was predicated on him raising money and didn't have nearly enough saved to make it 10,000 hours on his own.

I read it.  What else would you really expect.

He put himself out there and now has to give some info to his investors/donators.

I personally think he should just keep playing tournament after tournament.  I think he is getting too caught up in tracking and mental game.

Just play.

How well financed is he?  It seems this 'experiment' was predicated on him raising money and didn't have nearly enough saved to make it 10,000 hours on his own.

Yes, but that could also expose his true weaknesses and could shut the project down.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I don't know about playing more tournaments.... I don't see the point. He needs to get down to a legit scratch handicap any way he can. Unless he is a true scratch he has no hope of getting anywhere in professional golf

I am actually for the tournament play. He won't do it though. I think we'd all have more respect for his project if he put up a couple decent scores in tourneys thank posting rounds in the 70s during practice rounds.

I don't know about playing more tournaments.... I don't see the point. He needs to get down to a legit scratch handicap any way he can. Unless he is a true scratch he has no hope of getting anywhere in professional golf

Tournament are the only way (imho) to get better.  And to show you are legit.  Competing on different courses.  Playing with friends at home course day after day doesn't really show much.

But this is all marketing/sales from here on in.  He has 0000.0000% chance of making it on PGA Tour.  But he needs to finance 3+ years of being a basically being a golf bum.

He is doing a decent job of keeping the charade going.  Highlights his under par round.  Doesn't update his handicap or stats very often.  And he avoids tournaments that 'expose' his true abilities.

He is like a bad company that hides behind Forward-Looking statements and doesn't release earnings to get investor money.  He really doesn't have much of a choice.

We'll that's kind of my point in a way. He plays the same course all the time and only posts rounds every 10 days or so. I'm guessing he plays a round at least every second day and if he posted every score and also played different courses posting those scores we would know his current handicap. He just phones it in, so when he enters a tournament he of course blows up

Tournament are the only way (imho) to get better.  And to show you are legit.  Competing on different courses.  Playing with friends at home course day after day doesn't really show much. But this is all marketing/sales from here on in.  He has 0000.0000% chance of making it on PGA Tour.  But he needs to finance 3+ years of being a basically being a golf bum.  He is doing a decent job of keeping the charade going.  Highlights his under par round.  Doesn't update his handicap or stats very often.  And he avoids tournaments that 'expose' his true abilities.  He is like a bad company that hides behind Forward-Looking statements and doesn't release earnings to get investor money.  He really doesn't have much of a choice.

So you really think the only way he can get better is to play in tournaments?

Tournament are the only way (imho) to get better.  And to show you are legit.  Competing on different courses.  Playing with friends at home course day after day doesn't really show much.

But this is all marketing/sales from here on in.  He has 0000.0000% chance of making it on PGA Tour.  But he needs to finance 3+ years of being a basically being a golf bum.

He is doing a decent job of keeping the charade going.  Highlights his under par round.  Doesn't update his handicap or stats very often.  And he avoids tournaments that 'expose' his true abilities.

He is like a bad company that hides behind Forward-Looking statements and doesn't release earnings to get investor money.  He really doesn't have much of a choice.

I think he is questioning his handicap.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Not the "only" way.

But the best way.  And only scores I really count as legit since you have to follow all the rules and there are no gimmes.

And since his goal is to play on the PGA Tour, the ultimate tournament circuit in the world, I would think it would help prepare him best.

I think he is questioning his handicap.

We'll yes I don't believe his handicap I'm just saying I don't think you need to play in tournaments to lower it, he should be able to get to legit scratch without playing tournament golf

Yes, tournament golf and casual golf are 2 different animals especially for someone in Dan's shoes who has very little time at being a golfer, some guys can shoot tournament rounds very similar to casual rounds because they have years and experience on their side.

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

Not the "only" way. But the best way.  And only scores I really count as legit since you have to follow all the rules and there are no gimmes.    And since his goal is to play on the PGA Tour, the ultimate tournament circuit in the world, I would think it would help prepare him best.

We'll I guess I find this strange, why would anyone who wants a legit handicap count gimmes etc.....

We'll yes I don't believe his handicap I'm just saying I don't think you need to play in tournaments to lower it, he should be able to get to legit scratch without playing tournament golf

Until he can play tournament golf within 2 or 3 strokes of scratch then he really isn't a legitimate scratch player in a lot of peoples opinions.

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

Y[quote name="flopster" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer/1290#post_1008539"] Until he can play tournament golf within 2 or 3 strokes of scratch then he really isn't a legitimate scratch player in a lot of peoples opinions. [/quote] Yes but he is not scratch now, that is my point.

Note: This thread is 2413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!