IGNORED

Tall golfer (6'2") looking for lie angle info?

Note: This thread is 4679 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recently got some WS fg tours. Fitted. 1" long and 2 deg. up.

I started playing with standard length and lie clubs and found myself lowering my center of gravity to lay the club comfortably against the turf. And these more fitted irons are tough to hit. Could it be because I'm used to adjusting to shorter clubs?

I noticed online comments of flatter lie angles (for me shorter clubs) tend to create a flatter swing, and less aggressive angle of attack. Which i only would assume results in less HEAVY turf interaction and crisp contact.

could it be i just need to get used to a more vertical swing? Or would flattening the lie angle to standard or even 1 down be ideal?

ALSO, i noticed that the mid to long irons aren't as hard to hit but these clubs have a progressive offset which is minimal. Another reason why a flatter swing might be preferred considering longer irons create flatter swings?

1" long and 2 deg. up would usually fit a player with a 37" wrist-to-floor measurement.  If that's what yours is, then I would say you need to get your posture and distance from the ball correct.  Then you can swing upright or flat or anywhere in between, whatever swing plane works for you.

Don't know at 6'2" (about 1.88 meter) you might be just over average, but people are different, some have long legs, some have long arms, etc...... I am 6'9" (2.06 meter), but also have long arms and not a really upright swing ...... My irons are 1.5" longer, but standard lie ..... but when ever walking into a shop they about allways can tell I need maybe 2-2.5 longer clubs and at least 4* upright lie......

I am actually gripping down about half an inch on full shots, bc it gives me more control.

OK there is a static measurement method (wrist to floor), but like said above there are many variables too.

Some tall golfers have a flatter swing, but without even looking at the swing, the about avarage sales clerk or even shop manager will tell to any over 6 ft. guy ..... that they need an upright lie and 1" lengthened clubs.

Even then most fitting in shops is a bit like trial and error, hitting balls at a monitor ..... most clerks don't even know what to look for and may not even understand 50% of the values.

You should look for getting fit, with a monitor and a guy who knows what he is talking about ...... or even better by a guy who knows what he is taking about doing some static measurements, for length only, and let you hit many balls with lie-tape etc. to figure out you prefered lie.......

It might well be your swing is less upright than the average thinking and/or it might well be that you need the upright lie but only 1/4" or 1/2" longer clubs...... etc.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

I'm in the same boat,  and JackLee pretty much nailed what I ended up with (+1" long, 2° upright). I'm 6'2"-6'3"-ish, and after getting clubs that actually fit, it made a pretty significant difference for me. I think that would be a good starting point, but like Gerald said, there will be differences based on whether or not you have long or short arms, etc.

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

I'm about 6'2" with a wtf just over 37".  I was fitted with 1/2" over and 2º upright for my Callaway X-20's.  Not everyone will be the same, as said above, short/long arms/torso/legs and don't forget that irons will come with a different "standard" length and lie.

I never had to conciously adjust my swing to a flatter or more upright plane, but I was fit for my irons when I started playing golf.  I guess you could have a little problem adjusting if you had been playing clubs that were the wrong specs.  Have you hit your clubs on a lie board or was your fitting just static?

I might be the exception here.  I am just a tad over 6'2" and I've gone to 3 different club fittings.

Every time I am told I don't need an adjustment from "off the rack" on length or lie.  I guess I'm lucky in that I can pick up almost every default club set and just play it.

They done tape measures, impact marks on practice swings, video, etc...

-----------------------------------------------------
Driver - MX560 10.5 stiff
Hybrid Tour Edge rescue 18 degree
Irons - Knife 3-PW
Wedge - SV Tour 58 deg.Putter - Harmonized 425 Soft TouchBall - e6+or Feel

Originally Posted by kehanra99

I might be the exception here.  I am just a tad over 6'2" and I've gone to 3 different club fittings.

Every time I am told I don't need an adjustment from "off the rack" on length or lie.  I guess I'm lucky in that I can pick up almost every default club set and just play it.

Same here. I tend to just grip down a bit on irons with longer shafts. As long as the lie angle is ballpark, we're good - the swing varies a bit every time out anyway.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I'm 6'4" and am +2 deg and +1/2".

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

I'm 6'3" and have always played with standard clubs, but never been fitted either. I've been playing lately with a guy that's about my height and he just got a new set of Pings and they are +1", not sure about the lie. My question is, if only length is added how much will it effect the lie? I'm thinking about adding 1/2 - 1" with extensions.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Same here. I tend to just grip down a bit on irons with longer shafts. As long as the lie angle is ballpark, we're good - the swing varies a bit every time out anyway.

Originally Posted by kehanra99

I got fitted for clubs that are already .25 longer than the stock x-20's. My clubs were fitted to 2 degrees upright and .50 longer. After my lesson the pro I go to send no to the .50 longer. Actually said hell no this is the wrong fitting for you, I than told him I did the lie board with a regular length club. He told me to keep the lie go back to regular and we will go from there. I am 6'2 and the +.50 felt so weird, my 4 iron  looked like a damn fairway wood.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

well i have clubs that were fitted for my height..i do deffinitely feel much more comfortable at address but because my first set i had to "hunker down" to help the club hug the ground correctly. I'm still struggling on not bending my knees when im coming through to contact position. I keep coming in too steep i think.

I'm only wondering if i should keep the +1in. and flatten my lie to 1up, standard, or even under standard.

Originally Posted by handlez42

I'm only wondering if i should keep the +1in. and flatten my lie to 1up, standard, or even under standard.

Having clubs that are +1" doesn't actually mean you MUST grip them to the very end, maybe you feel more comfortable or it give you more control or having the club more in the fingers if you grip down 1/2" ......

The lie should be checked on a lie board ....... no advise from any of us will give you the right asnwer.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

• 2 weeks later...

Originally Posted by Gerald

Having clubs that are +1" doesn't actually mean you MUST grip them to the very end, maybe you feel more comfortable or it give you more control or having the club more in the fingers if you grip down 1/2" ......

The lie should be checked on a lie board ....... no advise from any of us will give you the right asnwer.

I recently bought these fitted forged and the lies were tested on a lie board. We did have an issue getting a solid mark on the tape and most of the light marks were middle. but out of the numerous swings the good scuffs showed that 2 degrees up was the proper lie for me. It very well could be that i need to move down a bit on the my grip which is something that i definitely did not think of so i appreciate that info.

I just am not sure in terms of lie if id feel more comfortable with a flatter lie...In short, ive "heard" that flatter lies lead to flatter swing planes...and flatter swing planes lead to relatively consistent contact without coming in TOO steep. I wouldnt be surprised that it could help...but im not about to give up since i havent been able to get a good start to my season.

Also pushing the ball quite a bit more even on crisp contact....but these things are miles more difficult to hit in comparison to my old deep red II distance irons. Just need some time to play into them i guess

6'4", I play 1/2'' longer and standard lie.  I have never ever doubted my irons, honestly haven't even thought about it until I read this thread.

6'3", wrist-to-floor is 37.5". I play +1" @ 2 deg up

I have an upright stance and swing, and am a digger/driver.

Confusing, all the combinations, isn't it?  ;)

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I'm 6'3 and just play off the rack, I was fitted for standard back when I started... Never really questioned it till now though lol

Driver: adams.gif Speedline 9032LS RIP Shaft (Stiff)

3 Wood: adams.gif Oviation 3Wood

Hybrids: taylormade.gif Rescue 18* 3H - 22* 4H

Irons: callaway.gif X-24 Hot Irons 5-PW

Wedges: cleveland.gif CG15 52, 56

Putter: odyssey.gif PT 82

Ball:  e6

I am not-so patiently waiting for the local driving range to open, as it is not drying up here at all.  I plan on taking a makeshift lie board over to see what kind of club to ground interaction I actually have.  I never take a divot....never.  My first store bought irons were my previous set, and I really knew nothing about the fitting process.  The guy in the shop took a quick measurement and said I would be fine with standard length.  Of course I took his word for it, being new to the process.  I am 6'4" with a WTG measurement of approximately 38 7/8" ( I have long legs and average top, ha ha).  Following the standard guidelines, that would put me somewhere between +1.25 and +1.5 over standard plus a 1 degree up lie adjustment.  Maybe that is why I am a picker and top a lot of shots.  Could it also explain why I have a compact swing (because I am hunkered down, trying to make contact)?

• 1 month later...

Well, I have managed to get my shaft extensions in.  I did it myself and added 1 1/4" to the length of my 755's.  What a world of difference, so nice to look at the club after a shot and see the contact mark closer to the sweet spot instead of the toe.  I played three rounds with them so far and the only time I bladed a ball was once, when I used my 60 wedge which is still standard length.  I have an improved, more relaxed posture at address now, and I am able to open my swing a little more. I am also making pretty consistent divots compared to barely any divots at all and ball flight has straightened out quite consistently across the set.  I gained a little distance from the added length/confidence and I am still adjusting to it though, as a few 9 iron shots should have been dialed down to the PW.  I also took the opportunity to re-grip with some Tour Wrap 2G midsize grips, which are the best feeling grips I have tried so far, super tacky and not as hard to keep clean as I had anticipated from reading the mixed reviews.  I wipe the clubs down after every round anyway.

Note: This thread is 4679 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!