IGNORED

Sha**ing My Irons - Video Advice Please

Note: This thread is 4745 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm having a problem with sha**ing my irons recently, and would love some advice on why, and how I can fix it please.

I'm a 22 handicapper and to be honest have always played my irons well - however in my last 2 rounds every single iron shot I've hit has been a sha**! Now from looking at my swing (with my untrained eye) I know that I bob my head. However, I've always done this to an extent and never had this problem.

I'd appreciate if you could have a look at my swing below (8 iron from about 140 yards) and provide any comments you feel will help me.

Thank you,

First things first, you do look like you are standing up the balls ass a little bit, try to back off a tad.

Also it looks like you might have too much weight on the heels of your feet.  This causes you to have to lean forward during your downswing therefore catching the ball on the shank of the club.

Keep more balanced on your feet in an athletic position

Here is a drill that will get rid of the shanks

You can use an alignment rod as well because replacing the tee's is a pain in the ass

Setting up too close to the golf ball will increase the chances of a shank, check that you're the correct distance away from the ball, the end of the club should rest about an inch above your knee cap

• Administrator
Originally Posted by johnthejoiner

Setting up too close to the golf ball will increase the chances of a shank, check that you're the correct distance away from the ball, the end of the club should rest about an inch above your knee cap

You sure about that? That's really low...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by johnthejoiner

If his legs are straight when setting up, i would say that was perfect

Why would you want to setup with your legs straight?  There should be some flex in them so you are in an athletic position.

If you want to figure out if you are standing too close or not, try this.  Setup to the ball like you normally would without a club.  Let you arms hang freely and then grip the club.  This should be how you setup to the ball.  As for hitting the ball with your hoooozelle it it probably because you are casting in the down swing and coming over the top.  Causing the wrong part of the club getting to the ball first.  I am no teacher, and it may be worth what you paid for it.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Originally Posted by Quinn07

Why would you want to setup with your legs straight?  There should be some flex in them so you are in an athletic position.

If you want to figure out if you are standing too close or not, try this.  Setup to the ball like you normally would without a club.  Let you arms hang freely and then grip the club.  This should be how you setup to the ball.  As for hitting the ball with your hoooozelle it it probably because you are casting in the down swing and coming over the top.  Causing the wrong part of the club getting to the ball first.  I am no teacher, and it may be worth what you paid for it.

It should be part of everyones pre shot routine no matter what your handicap. Stand at the ball with your feet together, legs straight and the ball positioned in the center of your stance. The next bit is something you'll have to work out for yourself and will be your reference point to how far you should be standing away from the ball. Place the club behind the ball and lower the shaft so it touches your leg, whatever point it sits above your knee is  your reference point and takes away any guesswork

This thread is getting off topic.

Your practically stepping on the ball  the result is an Inside to Outside swing with an Open clubface at impact, also known as a Shank.

This is also forceing you to stand up into impact and making your head move what looks like more then a foot from start to finish.

None of this is very good for your swing.

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

Yes I'm Aware That's 16 Clubs!

You're very flat in the shoulder plane at the top of the backswing.  Very flat.  This means your swing begins its rotation swinging out (like a baseball bat) rather than down into the slot (like a golf club).  If you picture an on-plane swing, and rotate that plane upward just one inch, so that it's one inch closer to a baseball bat swinging through the strike zone, then you've moved the hosel to where the ball is.  Shankaroo.

Get the axis tilt fixed.  There's much information available on what the ideal tilt should be.

-Andrew

Originally Posted by LankyLefty

This thread is getting off topic.

Your practically stepping on the ball  the result is an Inside to Outside swing with an Open clubface at impact, also known as a Shank.

This is also forceing you to stand up into impact and making your head move what looks like more then a foot from start to finish.

None of this is very good for your swing.

how was it getting off topic?.....

You just reiterated what two of the posts previously said?!  AND he knew he was SHANKING it, because it was in his title, he just didn't want to say it as some people don't like hearing or reading that word out of fear...and from a recovering Sh$&nk-aholic; I don't blame them.

Sorry....back to the topic at hand....

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Originally Posted by jonny1409

Now from looking at my swing (with my untrained eye) I know that I bob my head. However, I've always done this to an extent and never had this problem.

I'd appreciate if you could have a look at my swing below (8 iron from about 140 yards) and provide any comments you feel will help me.

Thank you,

IMHO, you are not bobbing your head.  I believe your head is moving because your are literally changing your spine angle when you start your back swing.  You're not turning around your spine, but rather lifting your entire torso up on the back swing, and then reversing the move downward toward the ball.  IMHO you'll always have ball striking issues until you fix that.  If you can set your weight a bit more toward the insides of each foot (a bit of a knocked-knee feeling) and keep it more or less there in the back swing (it looks like your weight is on your heels and very pronounced toward the back foot at the top of your backswing to my eyes), I think that would be a good start.

I really think you can help yourself tremendously if you can get your spine angle much steadier throughout the swing, but particularly during your back swing.  From there it's simply turn back around your spine, and turn forward the same way through impact.

In my bag: adams.gif Speedline Fast 10 10.5, Speedline 3W, Ping Zing2 5-SW  vokey.gif 60 deg odyssey.gif 2-ball    330-RXS

Some good tips already. it does seem liek you're a little close. Also, i think your backswing is far too long. Especially for an 8i. I don't think you're doing any favours going all the way back behind your shoulder like that. You're just making it that much harder to be consistent and you're not gaining anything. Try shortening that backsing a little. Also, slow it down. It seems very rushed to me. That fast a backswing isn't doing anything for you. Slow it down, smooth everything out.

Also, it seems to me like your grip might be a little weak. Like at the bottom of your swing you're kind of just throwing your hands at the ball and the clubhead is getting away from you.

People really only shank for two reasons:

1.  Weight too much on heels at address

2.  Ball too far away

Combine both of them and it's shanks city.  Your body will seek balance on the downswing, and if your ball is too far away, contrary to popular opinion, you will tend to shank more, as the path into the ball gets too flat and you have to fall forward to make contact.  My suggestion is get your weight over your shoelaces and don't reach too much for the ball at address.  Check your balance at your finish.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Thank you so much for all your replies and advice, I really appreciate it.

Reading through there appears to be a lot of consistent advice (proximity to the ball, move weight forward a bit more, incorrect swing plane / spine angle etc)

Now obviously the weight distribution and ball position is easy for me to change, however the swing plane is going to be more difficult I'd imagine.

However, I am particularly interested in the spine angle / swing plane side of things as I know I have really struggled with this in the past.

I also believe if I can get my swing plane / spine angle correct I won't overswing as much on the backswing, which again is something I've always done.

Do you have any drills or videos you'd recommend would help me with this?

I'm quite happy to put the work in and start from scratch if that's what's required.

Thanks again.

I agree; with a proper spine tilt you're probably not flexible enough to overswing the way you do.

Practice with a club across the front of your shoulders, handle facing left, crossing your arms on your chest to hold the club in place.  Take a stance and a "backswing" (obviously you're moving everything but your arms in this position), and you'll be able to see the handle of the club rotate due to your spine rotation.  You want to see the handle rotate downwards; not just back to your right.  At the top, when your shoulders are turned 90 degrees or close to it, you should see the handle of the club pointing to the ground, maybe 3 feet outside the ball.  With your current swing, you'd see the handle of the club probably point at least 20 feet outside the ball (too flat).  There is such a thing as too steep (handle pointing at or inside the ball), but I don't think you have to worry about it.  Just get the feeling of the club handle rotating down, not out, and you'll be on the right track.

-Andrew

Originally Posted by jonny1409

However, I am particularly interested in the spine angle / swing plane side of things as I know I have really struggled with this in the past.

I also believe if I can get my swing plane / spine angle correct I won't overswing as much on the backswing, which again is something I've always done.

Do you have any drills or videos you'd recommend would help me with this?

The main issue, one which may fix some of the other flaws, is - as you pointed out - that you stand up on the backswing, thus changing your spine angle.

It's interesting to note that your "trigger move", right before you initiate the swing, also has a "stand-up" move in it. Try to change the trigger to one in which we keep your spine angle consistent and see if that helps.

Good luck!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4745 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!