IGNORED

Why do amateur golfers wear brand name logo hats like compensated endorsed pro's?

B of H
Note: This thread is 4649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is the strangest thread I think I have ever read on this forum. So there are some out there that believe that because you play Titleist or TaylorMade or Nike that the company should then provide you with head wear to match in exchange? That is possibly the most ridiculous notion I have ever heard. Perhaps its because I see my head wear and other clothing as equipment as well. I choose them because of their looks, if they have a Titleist or whatever logo on there then so be it. I certainly don't believe Titleist owes me anything because I play their equipment, nor do I feel weird wearing a Nike hat considering I do not play any of their equipment. I think some of you have too much time on your hands worrying about things like this.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It doesn't seem like you have much of a choice.  Most of the hats offered are branded.  I can choose to buy one with my favorite sport team, home course etc, but very little without some type of identiification is available.  Izod made this a valuable marketing tool when I was young, before that only a very few very high end products were identified by logos.  Unfortunately using logos seems to have replaced quality as the way to market your product in clothing.  I have noted a steady decline in the quality of materials, construction, and originality even in the supposedly premium brands. There was a time when you could purchase shirts, slacks, hats etc. and expect them to look good for up to 3 years with proper care.  Nowdays you are lucky if they last to the end of the current season.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a box of Bridgestone B330-RX balls from my pro, and got a coupon (cost $.044 to send in) and got a nice red shirt and a black hat with Bridgestone logo on them.  I still play with those balls; I don't alway wear the hat or shirt -- it's just part of golf [I'm not the guy with the NASCAR "golf" hat on, ever!].

TwoUp

Originally Posted by NM Golf

Perhaps its because I see my head wear and other clothing as equipment as well. I choose them because of their looks, if they have a Titleist or whatever logo on there then so be it. I certainly don't believe Titleist owes me anything because I play their equipment, nor do I feel weird wearing a Nike hat considering I do not play any of their equipment.

Well said.

I don't really think OP had an issue with people wearing golf brand name logo hats per se.  In fact, in one of his posts, OP even stated that he was thinking about getting a new Titleist hat because his current one was getting "ratty".  However, after his bud commented that people who wear those hats, but aren't paid to wear them, are posers, he started this thread to querry the motives as to why others would wear such a hat.  From there, we've had 7 pages of discussion where many attempt to justify their decisions to wear or to not wear said hats.

IMO, the question shouldn't be; "Why do amateur golfers wear brand name logo hats like compensated endorsed pro's?".  Rather, the question should be, "Why do you feel compelled to justify your actions to an immature friend?"  Indeed, by justifying your actions to wear / not wear such a hat, you're actually affriming the friend's viewpoint as being valid.  Alas, it's not.

Suffice to say, if one of my buds said to me, "Look at these posers wearing golf brand name logo hats, thinking they're hot-sh*t."  I wouldn't validate his viewpoint by getting into some lengthy debate as to why people or even I wear such a hat.  Rather, I would simply reply, "Does it hurt to be that stupid?"

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

Another post in this thread just made me step back a minute and think, why don't golf companies include a hat or shirt when you buy a set of $800 irons or a $300 driver more often?  Heck every time I've ordered from JEGS (performance car parts company for those that don't know), even if it's a $50 dollar order, I get a hat.  I've probably got 10 of them laying around the garage right now and I've given away more than I could ever remember.  For that matter every time I had to go to the Caterpillar dealer to help pick up equipment when I was doing an internship with USACE we got a free hat or license plate.  I've gotten free shirts, hoodies, hats, and other merchandise from every single company I made a large purchase with (except chevy when I bought my truck, those rats!).

It may be way off topic with what the OP was getting at but it is a good question, why aren't things like hats included when you make a large purchase from one of these companies?

On topic, I wear a mesh Bridgestone cap because it was simply designed, on sale, and finally, I don't look good in a yellow JEGS hat.....which reminds me, I need to take the goodyears off my truck and get some Bridgestone T/A's before I have two different groups of people calling me a poser.

Umm, maybe because they're greedy and know the average golfer is willing to pony up another 25 dollars just to be officially registered as a fanboy for the brand he just gave too much money to in the first place. Case in point: Molson Canadian and Budweiser give away T-shirts and baseball caps for free in cases of beer yet golf OEMs know we we'll get back in line for another chance to get kicked in the nards so they give us nothing for free. Sorry Swampy for venting in reply to your post but so many posers have put me over the edge.

Originally Posted by Swampy79

Another post in this thread just made me step back a minute and think, why don't golf companies include a hat or shirt when you buy a set of $800 irons or a $300 driver more often?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Sorry Swampy for venting in reply to your post but so many posers have put me over the edge.

No harm no foul, I don't get bent out of shape over posts on the internet, it's just not worth my time.  I'm new to the game and probably would have written the same thing except I was hoping someone had some fantastic reason that I wasn't aware of like "all hat sales go to charity" or something.  I guess my observation is confirmed, they are in fact greedy SOBs.

It may be way off topic with what the OP was getting at but it is a good question, why aren't things like hats included when you make a large purchase from one of these companies?

I've gotten free Miura swag in the past. I got a putter cover and a nice hat. I accepted both as a nice perk to owning such a fantastic set of irons.

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

You normally don't have much of a choice, most of the hats etc sold have equipment or sports team logos. Cap makers who use team or school logos pay a licensing fee. Is it possible that cap making companies get some money from the clubmakers making them more profitable. I have received free caps when purchasing clubs or balls occasionally over the years.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I was thinking about this thread this morning as I dressed up in my Loudmouth shorts, club shirt and club hat. Considering that I spend about 10k/year at my club and maybe 1k every few years on clubs, shouldnt my home course be paying to wear their logo apparel instead of the equipment manufactures?

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

The notion that companies SHOULD include a hat, maybe a shirt or something similar when any variety of purchases are made (balls, clubs, bags, etc) is ridiculous.  Why?  Because 99% of the people in America can and DO pay the additional $15 or more for the item the OP is asking about.

It's Economics 101, and Business 101.  Both available at your local Community College.

That said, unless the OP has all logos removed from his bag, his shoes, his golf balls, his putter, his glove, the aformentioned car, the coffee machine on the counter, the oven/range, the lawnmower, etc. etc. etc.....  it's a little difficult to take him seriously.

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

wow, never knew that wearing a golf hat with a logo was an issue with people. to each their own I guess!

In the bag:

Driver - Taylormade '07 Burner 10.5* 

3W & 4h Top Flite XL

Irons - Ping G10 XG black dot 5-9 PW, SW

Wedges - Titleist Spin Milled Vokey 58*

Putter - Ping Karsten Anser 2 33''

Originally Posted by Bryan SD2

. . . unless the OP has all logos removed from his bag, his shoes, his golf balls, his putter, his glove, the aformentioned car, the coffee machine on the counter, the oven/range, the lawnmower, etc. etc. etc.....  it's a little difficult to take him seriously.

If he's wearing a bomber jacket and baseball cap with his brand of coffee maker, car, oven/range, or lawnmower, etc, sure, you may have a point. Do you suppose people who question the logo hats do that?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Watch the above link. It's Jim Rome "Golf Guy". It reminds me of this thread!

Enjoy!

In the bag:

Driver - Taylormade '07 Burner 10.5* 

3W & 4h Top Flite XL

Irons - Ping G10 XG black dot 5-9 PW, SW

Wedges - Titleist Spin Milled Vokey 58*

Putter - Ping Karsten Anser 2 33''

Originally Posted by Roy Munson

I tried to embed a video and couldn't get it to work.

http://youtu.be/8LeZmHhPxuI

Watch the above link. It's Jim Rome "Golf Guy". It reminds me of this thread!

Enjoy!

classic - forgot this bit - but it does confirm that I play with *golf guy*

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

I sometimes wear them because I get them cheap. Just bought a Cobra and Srixon hat for $5.00 each. They fit my head so why not?

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

Note: This thread is 4649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!