IGNORED

Question about diet and how it affects your game

Note: This thread is 4696 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Basically my question is...can eating somewhat unhealthy foods hurt your golf game, even if you're in shape?

I'm a 15 year old boy, and I am about 5'5" and weight approximately 126 pounds. I'm fit, flexible, and athletic. But I don't eat the healthiest foods. I'll only have fruit a couple times a month if that, and I eat a decent amount of foods like french fries, chicken fingers/nuggets, things like that. I also eat cupcakes and things like that too.

I'm healthy (being "fit"-wise), but I could eat healthier foods. I am the kid who can eat as much food as I want and not gain much weight.

So I don't think my golf game is hurting from this since I am in very good shape.

"Kindness is more important than wisdom and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom."

A couple thoughts.  First, however fit, flexible, and athletic you are, you could (and probably would) be more so if you ate properly.  Second, more than likely, at some point in your life your monster metabolism is going to slow down, and if you've trained yourself to eat the way you eat now, you'll have a really hard time keeping to a healthy weight when that happens.

From what you wrote, I would say the most serious mistake you are making is not eating fruit (and, I suspect, vegetables).  Regardless of what junk you may eat, what you're not eating is going to hurt you more.  You can be a "healthy weight" without being healthy, and the foods you describe just aren't giving your body the nutrients it needs to build itself to its potential.

So, what I guess I'd say to your actual question is no, I don't think what you eat will affect your game in the sense that you'd go out and play better next month if only you ate a healthier diet.  HOWEVER, that's not the whole story: it WILL affect your game in 10 years, because you'll be stronger and healthier if you've given yourself the nutrition you need now.  That metabolism that lets you eat all this crap without seeing a weight gain is your body screaming for material to build itself from!

So, if nothing else, go buy a bunch of bananas and eat one every day.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I would actually argue the other way. I believe that eating junk like fries etc will not just affect you physically, but mentally also. Eating foods like that makes me tired and I lack the energy to put in a good 18 holes. I do however agree with the poster above that at age 15 it will make less of a difference than a 40 year old eating the same. Do yourself a favour and try and eat veg every day and take fruit round the course with you. Bananas are a good slow releasing energy source for the golf course!

I would definitely try to start with better eating habits while you are young. When I was in high school playing Football our coach had a lot of the lineman on a 3,500+ calorie diet everyday. We were also the biggest and strongest offensive line in the state averaging 6'2 265lbs. We were strong and young. When I graduated I continued to eat like that and gained close to 30lbs in a year. Im 23 now, and still slowly working my way back to what I was before my senior year at 225lbs.

Moral of that boring story is, at 15 you can do/eat whatever you want, but I would try to fit in more healthy foods, and less of the terrible ones. You could eat something like 15 or 20 apples and still not reach the calories in a bloomin onion or chili cheese fries.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mgolfer

I believe that eating junk like fries etc will not just affect you physically, but mentally also. Eating foods like that makes me tired and I lack the energy to put in a good 18 holes.

Good point.  I feel remarkably better when eating well, and it's the sort of thing that sometimes surprises you---you didn't realize you were feeling bad until you feel better and notice the difference.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

agree with the other posters and would also add that I found when I was playing a lot of golf was that the TIMING of when I ate made a difference.  A big heavy meal at night wouldn't hurt my golf game, but having one just before I played certainly would.  You have to remember that when you eat a big heavy meal, blood goes from other parts of your body (including your muscles) and to your stomach to help with digestion.  Usually it is much better to think along the lines of slow release foods like mgolfer said.

If I play well the front side and make the turn around lunch, I will typically have something very light instead of eating a full blown lunch.  The only time I tend to eat a full meal at the turn is if I played really poorly the front and hope to change things up.

Healthy, unprocessed foods are going to benefit more than just your golf long run.  There are so many good fruits, vegetables, nuts, etc out there that you need to figure out which ones you like the most and eat them regularly.  Personally, I find a big difference between those that look good but taste bland (i.e. what you get as some of the big chains) and those that taste as good or better than they look (i.e. many organic or farm fresh options).

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Its true that if we start eating fatty foods we will start craving them, as well as sugary drinks. Your still growing, and have a high metabolism, so you can burn through it. But make sure you tone it down when you stop growing, or you will definetly pack on weight fast. It might hurt your golf game a bit. You can golf good with different body types, but for quality of life, i would cut back a bit, at least start getting into the habit of only eating that stuff a couple times a month.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quick Tip:

Avoid the processed foods like white carbs and sugar!

Why?- They spike your blood sugar, which subsequently cause your to "crash," creating that sluggish feeling. That WILL ABSOLUTELY affect your golf game. Good advice earlier about staying with the unprocessed foods. That's advice I give all of my clients and they immediately feel the results.

Hope that helps...

-Grant

Note: This thread is 4696 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!