IGNORED

How Far Do You Hit A 5 Iron

Big Don
Note: This thread is 4133 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How Far Do You Hit A 5 Iron?

• <140
    • 150-160
    • 160-170
    • 170-180
    • >180

Something around 170 meters. I think it is something around 180-190 yards

In my bag:

Titleist 905 Aldila VS Proto| TaylorMade r9 stiff shaft| Titleist 906F Aldila NV 75-S Fairway| Titleist ZM S300 (3-PW) |Titleist 54º SM TT Wedge Flex| Titleist 60º SM TT Wedge Flex| Scotty Cameron Newport 2

09 Goals- Handicap to 2 (I'm crazy I know)- Win 10 tournaments (dune)- Win...

Maybe the ball goes 20 yards further in US than England cos' i dont know of any 15+ handicaps that hit there 3 irons a comfortable 230 yards lol

Maybe it's because I'm 6'8" and 240 pounds. My biggest strength is also my biggest weakness. My size allows me to hit the ball a long way, but the length of my swing also increases the chance for a miss hit.

As far as the second par goes, you are dead on. That may be the biggest problem with high handicappers. I lose too many strokes by over swinging or reaching for distances that just are too high risk/reward.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

The bigger issue is not how far can you hit a 5 iron, it should be how far do you realistically expect to hit a 5 iron. That is what the pros are saying. I would expect that many of the people here are going by what they have done on their best shots or at least better shots.

I fully agree with this statement. And, to take it one step further, some golfers don't recognize that the yardage markers in most fairways are measured to the center of the green. So, if their ball ends up on the front of the green, they could be anywhere from 5 to 10 yards shorter than they think.

A better question might be what club would you use if you were on a 180 yard par 3? There is no wind and there is water fronting the green. Neither the green or the tee are elevated.

I would use a 5 iron...and an old golf ball

. DT

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

I hit my 5 iron around 153m carry, doesn't roll if it hit it properly. I guess thats around 165-170 yard?
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

Maybe the ball goes 20 yards further in US than England....

I add one club to every yardage when I am in england. But that doesnt mean that the goes further here in the US, its just a case of elevation. If you were to play at sea level here and sea level in the UK everything is going to be reletive.

I've never had the chance but I would imagine that a 5 iron hit in Denver is going to fly further than a 5 iron hit in Palm Springs, Orlando, or London.
Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

Maybe it's because I'm 6'8" and 240 pounds. My biggest strength is also my biggest weakness. My size allows me to hit the ball a long way, but the length of my swing also increases the chance for a miss hit.

That definitely makes a difference, I'm 5'8/9" and 11 stone (unsure about pounds)

But that doesn't mean that the goes further here in the US, its just a case of elevation.

Not 100% accurate as the Heat in America compared to English weather definitely adds yards too the ball, when i go to play golf in a hotter climate the ball will always fly further through the air, because of the heat the air is less dense and can therefore fly through (in effect) smoother air which will allow the ball to travel further.

Not all down to elevation although it certaintly does have an effect.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

I can hit my 5 iron at about 150 yards comforatibly (sp?), 155 if I need to, but anymore then that and I won't come close to my target. So generally I just club up and take a smaller back swing, since along with putting and chipping I have practiced my distance control ALOT

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

• 3 years later...
That definitely makes a difference, I'm 5'8/9" and 11 stone (unsure about pounds)

living in PA i believe we are somewhere around 3k above sea level, or there about. I know everytime i play at the jersey shore or on a Myrtle golf trip i need a good half club and sometimes a full club more.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

I usually hit my five iron about 793 +/- 0.04 yards. I don't hit it often unless I get confused and tee off in the wrong direction and need to use a 5 iron to get back to the green in two for a chance at a birdie. Here on Mount Everest our hardest hole is an 8 iron over to K2.

RC

how many 18 - 30 handicappers do you know that hit the ball that far, if your hitting the ball 190 - 200 and u play of anything above 20 u must be sh*t end of, point im making is that the vast majority of people on here are lying about there distance lol its an ego boost for them but its not the truth and if you hit your 5 iron 190 and play of 14, then your doing a lot wrong imo

Gawd you'd hate me. I hit my 5i 190 lol.

Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

5i 225 with range balls havnt had a chance to play yet

Wilson FG Tour 4-SW

Alpha Driver

Adams Speedline 3W
Oddessy #9 Putter

Bridgestone B330-S

190-195 carry with a big high fade that turns over about 5 yards.

Drivers: Titleist 913 D2 Aldila phenom
Fairway Woods: Titleist 910F-d
Fairway Woods: Titleist 909 F3 or

Hybrid: Taylormade tp 18 or Mp fli hi 2 iron 
Irons: Mizuno MP-52 3-pw
Wedges: TaylorMade RAC Z TP
Putters: Odyssey Black Series Tour Designs #2
Golf Bags: Titleist Blue cart bag

Shoes: Footjoy Dry joys

Golf Balls: Titleist Pro v1x

My 5-iron goes about 165, but it isn't very heavy and I can carry it for miles.

Older Hogans have very low drag - and the bag chatter (speed holes) adds stability. I'm surprised they're even street legal.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I hit mine around 240 with a 5 yard draw. This thread is retarded. These are all internet distances. My wife is a super model who pleases me every night, I drive a new BMW 7 series, live in a million dollar home, and go Tigering in Vegas which is totally ok with the wife.

Seriously, 175-185 depending on swing I have that day and outside factors like weather.

Brian

I hit mine around 240 with a 5 yard draw....... My wife is a super model who pleases me every night, I drive a new BMW 7 series, live in a million dollar home, and go Tigering in Vegas which is totally ok with the wife.

You too?? Wow, talk about your coincidences!!!!

Note: This thread is 4133 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!