IGNORED

Muscle stiffness in extreme heat

Note: This thread is 4645 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The temperture was near 95 yesterday during a golf outing that started at noon and didn't end til 5:30 (don't ask).  After the 11th hole I noticed my muscles were tightening and getting really stiff which was impacting my swing.  I'm a long distance runner, weight lifter and have played many rounds of golf and never experienced this before.  I was also careful to keep myself hydrated the entire day.

I was just wondering if this is normal when playing golf in extreme heat and if there's any tricks to prevent it.  Thanks

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

probably water loss. If its that hot, i would say easily 3-4 bottles of water per 9 holes.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I live in the Houston area.  This afternoon it was 99 degrees with 70% humidity so I have a little experience in golf and exercise in the heat.   Water helps, and is absolutely necessary, but you need to do more than just hydrate.  If you perspire you lose salts like sodium and potassium and without replacement you'll lose muscle strength and decrease  performance.  Personally I drink Gatorade but there probably isn't a lot of difference between it and things like Powerade, etc.  Replacement of electrolytes is a key part of fighting dehydration and optimizing performance, and that kind of drink will do it for you.

thats true, i never thought about that. I should pack at least one or two Vitamin waters from now on

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

95? that's fall weather down here. make sure you have a couple bananas or some nuts. your muscles need protein, and stretching. long distance runners often have inflexible leg muscles.

Thanks for the responses.  I did eat a grilled chicken sandwich so protein shouldn't have been an issue.  I didn't think about electrolytes but I know better, that was probably it because I was drinking a ton of water to stay hydrated.

Joe Paradiso

I'd definitely recommend bananas, some sort of protein (I like sunflower seeds and they come in a lower sodium variety), and PowerAde or Gatorade, both of which have chemicals which you perspire. Be careful in this heat!

• 3 weeks later...

Bananas are a great source of potassium, which is a need to promote proper muscle contraction and release from contraction.  If you get muscle cramps it's usually due to a decrease in potassium and/or magnesium along with some level of dehydration.

Reduction in potassium is often the source of cramping and/or muscle fatigue.  Definitely have a couple of bananas or gatorade when you are sweating a lot.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Note: This thread is 4645 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!