IGNORED

The Top Five Hardest Shots in Golf

jamesonbourne
Note: This thread is 4668 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What is the hardest shot in golf for you?

• 3-4 foot putt under pressure (tournament win, personal match win, personal best round)
    • Tee shot over a body of water or a waste area
    • Chip/Pitch/Wedge shot over a bunker or body of water
    • Buried lie in the bunker
    • Par 3 tee shot to an island green
    • Buried lie in thick rough
    • Going for the par 5 in two
    • The one you take at the 19th hole after losing a bet to your buddies
    • Other (Please explain in comments)

Down Hill lie with long iron ( I end up with layup all the time) Downhill Putt Fried Egg Bunker shot P/s On lag and down hill putt and , I find leff to right is no so confidence compare to right to left putt
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

I voted pitch shot over bunker/water. The flop shot over a bunker with bunker/trouble on the other side of the pin, not to mention probably from a tight lie, really gets my nerves going.  Sure the short putt under pressure isnt easy, but a 4 foot putt is still an easier shot regardless of the circumstances.  With that flop shot my only real option is pretty much perfection, or trouble.  Another vote I might have considered is a tee shot on a long hole with a narrow space between OB and OB or hazard.  With that shot Im either hitting a great tee shot, counting penalty strokes, or clubbing down and settling for a bogey or worse before I even hit my first shot!  Maybe I should play the shorter tees....

I'm not sure the a 3-4 foot putt under pressure is really an option in the "hardest golf shot" category, because you can make any shot harder by adding that.  Is a 3-4 foot putt for your best round tougher than a 50-80 yard bunker shot with two to go for your best round?  No.  You can make any shot "harder" by adding those qualifiers.

That said, my vote is actually for hitting a wedge or short iron with heavy wind.  I played in heavy wind the other day and I simply could not get close to the pin to threaten par - it was really hard.  Hitting those high-lofted clubs low without thinning them or ending up short is really, really hard.  I think its harder than an intermediate sand shot.  Those high-lofted clubs with wind is hard, at least for me, because my X-20s get the ball really high and it goes all over the place in heavy wind.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My opinion reflects what many have already stated. Shots from downhill lies are extremely difficult. That includes: [LIST] [*] hitting off a downhill lie in the fairway with a low-lofted club (long iron, hybrid, fairway wood) [*] bunker shot from a downhill lie [*] chipping or pitching from a downhill lie, especially if short-sided or over a hazard [*] short putts with the green running away [/LIST]

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

My friend ! That is not a hard shot . don't dig in hit a normal wedge and skim the sand. Think that you are in the middle of  a fairway. Do this shot from 200, 150, 100. I am  15 handicap and have no fear.

Originally Posted by Pottsy

Why would you EVER need to play a low cut with a short iron??

I assume by he was saying some type of punch / cut with a short iron. I agree with him that for me they are a very difficulty shot.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

1) a draw

2) 40-50 yd bunker shot

3) 300 yd drive

4) fried egg in a bunker

5) that backward shot with a wedge that Phil hits

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Hardest shot I've ever had to hit was two weeks ago. Needed a slight draw around the first tree, and under it's branches, then through a (6'-8'?) hole in the canopy of a tree behind it, rolling it up to the green and staying out of the bunker left.

Distance wise, the shot called for a 8 iron, but the trajectory needed called for a 5. Had to hit a soft 5, around one tree and through another.

Actually pulled it off, sort of. Threaded the trees perfectly, but the ball took a funny hop about 3/4 of the way there and ended up in the bunker. Didn't make the up-and-down, but was very pleased with myself for pulling that shot off. Probably a one in one hundred shot, doubt I could ever pull it off again.

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

My top

Half wedge distance bunker shot

Fried Egg Bunker shot

Ball at akward heights, knee high or really below your feet

severe downslope lie

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

From the poll options I chose the buried lie in deep rough: I just don't have the strength to get down to the ball or power through the grass with much success.

From a purely physical standpoint, the fact that a shot is over a bunker or water has no effect on how difficult it is, so I try not to let it affect me mentally.  When a playing partner says something about water on a hole and I'll say "what water?"

My hardest five at the moment:

1) Downhill lies to an uphill green.  We have quite a few of these on our course, sometimes I feel punished for hitting a good drive.

2) Short downhill putts with lots of break.

3) Bunker shots out of shallow/wet sand.

4) The Power Fade (really, any fade: I frequently double-cross myself)

5) 3 wood off the fairway. (5 wood is no problem)

In my  bag: 

Diablo Octane Tour 9.5, 18  -  6DT 19 (3I Hybrid) - 

Diablo Forged Irons 5-PW -  Tom Watson wedges 52,56,60 - 64 (generic) 

D.A.R.T. Belly Putter

B330-RX Balls

Why would you EVER need to play a low cut with a short iron??

When you have a tight pin on the extreme right of a green with a right to left wind and you cant risk starting it right of the green. Tree trouble Pin cut over a ridge and you dont want to spin it back in the direction of the ridge Etc...

Bag:
Driver and 3-wood: Titleist 910D3 9.5* + 910Df 15* w/ Aldila RIP 80 X flex
2-iron: King Cobra II Forged DG-x100

3-Hybrid: 20* Adams 9031DF DG-x100
4-9 irons: Bridgestone Tour Premium DG-s400
Wedges: Vokey 200 series: 48, 54, 60 DG-s400
Putter: original Cameron Newport gunmetal blue

Mine is most definitely hitting the long irons from the rough - where the ball is half way up a slope while you are holding the club shin-level. For the life of me I always pull these far left and miss the green. For the longest time I would have the fear of topping it embedded in my mind so I would PW it back in play lol. My own personal nightmare right here...

Chipping around the green( down hill ) and no place to land the ball.
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

Wow!  Thanks for the response, guys.  Feel free to keep this going if you'd like.

In retrospect, I might also suggest the following...

215+ yard tee shot on a par 3.

Not bragging, but being 22 years old I can still hit a 3, 4, or 5 iron depending on the conditions, but I know for a lot of people that's a killer.

Punch fade or the "low cut" as most people call it.

This is probably just a personal thing, but I can't hit a controlled fade to save my life.  My dad brought me up to hit a draw from day one and now I don't put in the time to practice hitting a fade.  I would say one out of every five times I have to hit a punch shot it requires a fade to get close to the target and I just don't have that shot.

Buried lie in bunker. I can get it out of really thick rough, but if it's buried in the bunker, sometimes I have a tough time getting it out and onto the green.

"Kindness is more important than wisdom and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom."

I voted for buried lie in the rough. I hate having so little control over the ball, and I LOATHE having to make decisions about shots based on 'negatives', meaning all the bad things that could happen.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

I wish long, downhill iron shot would have been on there. That's the hardest shot for me to hit.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Note: This thread is 4668 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!