IGNORED

Minimum skills for a beginner before hitting the course

12iron
Note: This thread is 4653 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by 12iron

Alright. We've got a 9 hole course here in town, and I might just head there tomorrow and go on out, if it's quiet. I'll sit out if someone comes through behind me, pick up and walk on if I'm getting bored or frustrated, and see how it goes.

Why not?!

-12i

Good luck! I was kind of nervous the first time I played solo but it was not bad at all.  You will realize you are not the only one out there that is not very good yet :)

Alright, I went out to the local 9-hole course and played it twice, from the red (shortest) tees. Counting the penalties, I shot 141. Clearly I have my work cut out for me, but I had a blast. I just waved through anyone who was sneaking up behind me, and took a chance to sit in the shade and watch them come through.

Lots of fun. I even had 4 shots that I felt quite pleased with!

-12i

Alright, I went out to the local 9-hole course and played it twice, from the red (shortest) tees. Counting the penalties, I shot 141. Clearly I have my work cut out for me, but I had a blast. I just waved through anyone who was sneaking up behind me, and took a chance to sit in the shade and watch them come through.

Lots of fun. I even had 4 shots that I felt quite pleased with!

-12i

Good for you!  I just started playing in May and completely understand the "dread" factor of not being able to play well enough.  What I've found after a few lessons and about 6 nine hole rounds is that most people are poor golfers so you don't have anything to fear :)

"Golf is a game in which you yell 'fore', shoot six and write down five." - Paul Harvey

This is a good thread for newbies in my opinion. I just took up golf as a new sport and hit at the range over the winter then in the late spring signed up for some lessons. To be honest it was a good move, it is impossible to see or know what you are doing wrong while you are trying to hit a small ball laying on the ground. The physics  and dynamics of the equipment require you let them do the work, an easy smooth swing works best everytime.  I watched the golf fix and school of golf and read some books that included the rules and parcticed the next morning on what was covered. The golf pro I went to works at an executive course and my main worry was holding others up. he suggested par golf, if I was not in the hole by double the par for that hole then pick up the ball and move to the next, if I felt pressured by a trailing player I waved them up and through. It gave me much needed time to adjust to the grass, what everyone tells you is true, grass is much harder than mats since it does not mask swing flaws. anyway after six rounds on the executive course and six lessons I played my first full course. shot a 120, not a great score but it was a blast. the more skill sets you have the more you will enjoy the game. foremost you need to enjoy and respect the other players and the course.  JMHO. Frank

• Upvote 1

I'm glad you brought this thread up, its has been very informative.  I'm newer to golf, I've taken some lessons and hit the range about 4 days a week. I don't really have any friends locally that play on a regularly.   They say they play.. but haven't this year ect. I'm still a little timid to get paired at the course, It's fine if my friends know I suck but I don't want the added pressure of outside judgment. I think I might get out this week and roll solo or take a chance and get paired with someone.

Great stuff

• Upvote 1

Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 Driver Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 3 Wood Taylormade R11 Hybrid 19* Taylormade MC Forged Irons 4-PW Taylormade XFT 52, 56 60 Wedges Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Putter Taylormade Penta Balls

Never forget that golf is a game. Really, it is. Go book a tee, and leave all apprehension behind. Listen, you can always pick your ball up if you feel pressured. Hell, your first few rounds, throw the scorecard away before you tee off. The score is absolutely unimportant. Just get out there, make some decent contact and practice being a golfer. Pay careful attention to that last bit: go be a golfer -- don't worry about other people, scores, bad hits, looking like a goob, if your clubs are "cool enough", if your hat is goofy or your socks don't match. There's plenty  of time in your life to worry about real things that matter. Golf is a beautiful escape from all the real crap. Never let anyone take that from you, cool? Just go.

• Upvote 1

I think it's important for inexperienced players to play with those that are more experienced if possible...you can benefit from their experience, learn etiquette and how to play efficiently. This is the one that get's me. When I see players trekking back and forth to their cart, adjacent to the green to put their wedge back in the bag and get their putter it's frustrating. Take your wedge and putter to the green if you're not on the putting surface. Read your putt while others are putting (when possible) and be ready when it's your turn. You don't have to rush...but do play efficiently. Have fun and when you become skilled pass the knowledge on to others that are beginning.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all the support, folks! I kept score this time around because this was a special occasion. I want to hang on to this first scorecard for posterity, so I can look back years from now and say "Wow, five years of lessons, range buckets, reading, magnetic bracelets, planning vacations around golf, watching the Golf Channel, and playing, and I've gone from a 140 to a 135!!"

Unfortunately I live in a town that has been hit with a pretty bad case of the blues in the last few decades, a coal town in Appalachia. Fortunately, this means that the course here is rarely swamped with players, and it's only about 10 blocks from my house. It's $20 for all day play (like I can leave, go have lunch, and come back later and play another round) with a cart.

What I felt good about: I had a few decently straight tee shots with both driver and 5 wood, and my putting was alright. The one time I wound up in the bunker, I hit a pretty decent sand shot to get out. I was impressed with it, at least.

What clearly needs work: good contact especially with the irons. I did notice that my best shots were my slowest swings. I'll pay attention to that.

I can't wait to get back out there.

-12i

Originally Posted by rwfastrax

I think it's important for inexperienced players to play with those that are more experienced if possible...you can benefit from their experience, learn etiquette and how to play efficiently. This is the one that get's me. When I see players trekking back and forth to their cart, adjacent to the green to put their wedge back in the bag and get their putter it's frustrating. Take your wedge and putter to the green if you're not on the putting surface. Read your putt while others are putting (when possible) and be ready when it's your turn. You don't have to rush...but do play efficiently. Have fun and when you become skilled pass the knowledge on to others that are beginning.

Great point! I joined three guys from church on their round 2 weeks ago. Two of them were in a cart, and I walked with the third. I learned a whole lot just watching them play, especially about order of play (they play ready golf up to the green) and what you said about bringing wedge and putter to the greenside. Today I quite cheerfully waved groups through; I wasn't in a rush, so I'd just hang out in the shade out of their way and let 'em go. I told one old guy that this was my first round ever and he came over to me, shook my hand, and said, "Welcome to the best waste of time yet invented."

-12i

Hey, another newbie question: I'm currently getting anywhere between 90 and 110 yards with my 5 iron when I feel that I've hit it well. I do the same with my 7 iron, actually. This seems to be way below the average. Is this something that builds up with time and technique?

I'm calling today to book my first lesson.

-12i

Hey, another newbie question: I'm currently getting anywhere between 90 and 110 yards with my 5 iron when I feel that I've hit it well. I do the same with my 7 iron, actually. This seems to be way below the average. Is this something that builds up with time and technique?

I'm calling today to book my first lesson.

-12i

Yeah... I can chip that far with a 5I.  Experience and swing lessons should change that quickly.  When taking lessons and practicing, don't forget the short game.  The basic chipping stroke uses the same tempo as a full swing.  You can hit a short pitch with a 7I, then just do everything the same and take a longer backswing to hit the ball farther.  Soon you be hitting that 7I 120 yards or more.  Practicing with half swings can help you learn good habits in the impact zone.  Golf isn't all about swinging from the heels on every shot.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Also I'd recommend looking at several "par 3" courses near you and checking them out. I started out playing my local par 3 and it worked wonders on my putting, wedges and irons (and even 1 hole for my hybrid and 1 for my 3 wood!)

You may find as with mine that:

• 95% of the people playing on the course don't give a flying f*** about etiquette anyway so you won't have to worry about what others think.
  • Mine frequently has 5 or 6 ball groups playing where everyone hits several tee shots each and takes 10 strokes a piece to get through the hole and then when you ask to play through on the next hole as you're a single they get annoyed with you.
  • Bunkers are never raked so that improved your bunker play.
  • If someone tees off and it's heading toward you they just watch it fly and see how many points they get for hitting you as there's clearly no point in shouting "Fore" to warn you.
  • The bins on each tee are always immaculate because everyone just chucks their litter where they stand (very handy for lucky bounces!).
  • Hell I've had several balls be stolen because I landed on the green in one but kids have grabbed them and ran off.
  • You also have people stand being you waiting to tee off after you and telling you to get on with it even though you're waiting for the green to clear - "You ain't gonna hit 'em, just go!" followed by "Ooooohhhh!" when your 3w hits the green.

Apart from ranting what I'm saying is that there are courses out there which won't be strict with etiquette so you can learn your game to start off with and then you'll be more confident on good courses where etiquette will be a must.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

This is awesome, folks. You're giving me a lot of encouragement.

Another priest in my diocese has told me that she often hits the par 3 course near to her in Lexington. I've got a meeting up there with her and some other people on August 18th, and we've got a date to play that course in the morning. So now I've got a date to aim for!

I've been to the driving range 4 times this week, and bits and pieces are coming together. My first lesson will be sometime next week.

-12i

If you took lessons before you went and played, your obviously cut from a different cloth than most, pun intended .  Just apply that same etiquette to others time, pick up and advance to the next hole or let a group play through if needed.  Whenever you feel slightly comfortable, head on out.  You won't get all the pieces by any means, so don't hesitate too long.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Thanks OP for starting this thread, as i'm also in the place of having spent a decent amount of time at the driving range and lessons with local pro, with minimal time on the course. i have been hesitant mostly for fear of slow play (and bad weather)... but it seems like slow play REALLY bugs people...

but thanks to some of the tips written in this thread, i'm keen-as to go out more! can't wait

Oh and one more great tip; as your club when the quietest times are and book a tee time for then. E.g. I work on US time but live in the UK so my mornings during the week are free. I can play 9 holes at a local course for £7.50 during the week so I tee off at 7:30am a couple of times per week and the course is empty. You'll be a lot more confident with nobody around. :-D

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Minimum: Play fast, clean up the course and don't search too long for lost balls.

Some beginners out there think they are playing for the Masters and takes eons to putt. I even had a beginner group come back to the tee after they couldn't search for their lost ball, claiming they were following the rules of golf. Needless to say, we nearly killed each other there. Anyways, always remember on the course, make it fun for everyone. Everyone plays lousy golf now and then...that's beyond our control....but fixing divots, raking the bunker, repairing pitchmarks and for sakes, keeping up with the front flight: you're ready if you can do these. Improve your game as you go along.

I spent 2 months practicing on greens and the driving range before i stepped into my first tee box. I never took lessons though. I normaly shoot in the high 80s-low 90s. Putting is my downfall. i Cant read a green to save my life.

Driver:  R9 SuperTri 10.5*

Fairway:  R7 3wood 13*

Hybrid:  Super Hybrid 17*

Irons: CG Reds

Wedges: Vr 52* 56* 

Putter: Studio Select Newport 2.5 midslant

Ball: e6

Note: This thread is 4653 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!