IGNORED

Ready, Set, CONDITION! GolfConditioningNow's Contest Winners -

ranjanis
Note: This thread is 4607 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sponsored content by GolfConditioningNow.com

Thanks to TheSandtrap community for the overwhelming interest in GolfConditioningNow's trial contest.   We read many great entries, so it was super challenging to narrow it down to our two winners:  SlapShotGolfer and Dr_Fu_Manchu.  Congratulations and best of luck!

As our contestants embark on a 6 week golf conditioning journey, we invite you to subscribe to this thread and follow their progress.  Each winner will provide us updates directly, as well as respond to questions that you may have about the program.  Here are their stories - I'm sure that many of our members can relate to their reasons, frustrations, and goals.

I'm currently not doing anything fitness related besides just playing and practicing golf. I do quite a bit of work around the house, but nothing scheduled in terms of cardio or weight training. I have a hereditary bad back and know I need to get into some kind of routine, but just haven't had the motivation to get it started.

I'd love the opportunity to not only get into better shape, but to see how it would help my health, my golf game and especially my family. They are the one's that are hurt when I'm in pain or can't do something.

- SlapShotGolfer (Age 27, Nebraska)

I am a 35 year old sales manager who travels weekly, so working out and eating healthy has always been a challenge, but I always managed to find a gym while on the road and do my best to select healthy options on the menu.  I have always been a gym rat and up until recently was competing in triathlons. I was never over muscular, but you could tell that I lifted weights.

Then I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer, which halted my healthy life style.  I felt that all my hard work failed me so I kind of gave up on the gym and eating healthy.  Even though I have been cleared by the doctor to resume my exercise routine, I haven't. I actually haven't stepped into a gym in over 3 months. The longest I have gone since I was 16. That's why I need this program to kick start my old self back in to effect.

As I said, I just joined a country club.  Prior to joining this summer I hadn't played golf in about 10 months due to many things:  I took a promotion with my company, we moved across the country, had our first kid, and dealt with my health issues.  But now I am playing at least once a week.  Before I quit playing I was a 16 handicap, but I am now playing to about a 20 or so (official handicap isn't up yet).  I would love to get more power into my game and finally out drive the long hitters in my group.  I typically drive the ball about 225 or so.

- Dr_Fu_Manchu (Age 35)

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

Hey hey congrats Dr_Fu_Manchu! And great work at our school on Friday! It was a pleasure to meet you! Congrats also SlapShotGolfer.

I look forward to reading about how this six-week thing goes for the both of you. Awesome! Congratulations again!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just got off the phone with Grant, what a super nice guy, he gave me all the info and details I needed to get into the new program and start my new workout plan. He was very nice and very helpful, he even offered up his email and phone numbers so I could ask any questions that arise. From first glance the workouts seem like they might be a little challenging for me, but when you go from almost no workouts to some, it seems like a big jump. I'm hoping to start tomorrow, I have access to almost all workout equipment I'm going to need, but I've been wanting to try a 24 hr fitness type center and this may just be the push I need to give one of them a shot. It looks to be a good mix of harder and easier workouts. I can't wait to start. I'm hoping to publish at least once a week updates and hopefully more often depending on my schedule and how things are progressing.

As far as the readers go, anything specific you all want to know about the workouts and the progress we will be making?

• Upvote 1

Still trying to find my swing!

I would say round four hours total, it's only 5 days out of the 7 with 2 off days, and only 2 days of a heavier workout, the other three are lighter. He said you can do most all of them from home, except for the 2 heavier days which require some more equipment that I may not have access to at home.

Originally Posted by ranjanis

Thanks for the details, Kyle!   I have a question - How many hours will you be dedicating to your conditioning workouts this first week?

Originally Posted by SlapShotGolfer

Just got off the phone with Grant, what a super nice guy, he gave me all the info and details I needed to get into the new program and start my new workout plan. He was very nice and very helpful, he even offered up his email and phone numbers so I could ask any questions that arise. From first glance the workouts seem like they might be a little challenging for me, but when you go from almost no workouts to some, it seems like a big jump. I'm hoping to start tomorrow, I have access to almost all workout equipment I'm going to need, but I've been wanting to try a 24 hr fitness type center and this may just be the push I need to give one of them a shot. It looks to be a good mix of harder and easier workouts. I can't wait to start. I'm hoping to publish at least once a week updates and hopefully more often depending on my schedule and how things are progressing.

As far as the readers go, anything specific you all want to know about the workouts and the progress we will be making?

Couldn't agree more about Grant.  I spoke with Grant yesterday and he was willing to spend as much time as I needed going over everything from my goals to the exercises.

On the flip side, for those of you interested in this program the exercises may seem advanced on paper, but the website provides excellent detail on how to preform the movements.  Speaking from someone who spends a lot of time in the gym, I actually thought the workouts looked a little too easy as I was used to doing more advanced moves.  However, I completed day one of the training program this morning and worked up a nice sweat and can clearly see how the exercises are going to help with my swing as they focus on my bigger muscles, flexibility, core, and balance. I am really excited about what's in store for me.

Now we just need the "Before" pictures of you guys in your undies. Post here please. For science.

• Upvote 1

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Disappointed I didn't win but congrats. Look forward to hearing about your fitness progress and how it translates over to the course. For the rest of you like me who didn't win, Men's Health has some new golf specific exercises that seem to be great for flexibility and core strenght. I added the swiss ball cable rotation to my workout yesterday and last night it felt like my hip turn was much stronger and most of my drives were 5-10 yrds longer and straighter!

Again good luck and congrats.

Originally Posted by FryemanTX

Disappointed I didn't win but congrats. Look forward to hearing about your fitness progress and how it translates over to the course. For the rest of you like me who didn't win, Men's Health has some new golf specific exercises that seem to be great for flexibility and core strenght. I added the swiss ball cable rotation to my workout yesterday and last night it felt like my hip turn was much stronger and most of my drives were 5-10 yrds longer and straighter!

Again good luck and congrats.

Are these in just one issue?  Or are they progressive through multiple issues?

Congrats guys!

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Yep, I am bummed I did not win too.  But CONGRATS to the winners.  I look forward to following the thread and seeing what works and does not work for you guys.  Good luck

Just finished day one this morning, wow, there were some nice exercises involved, I really like using the medicine ball. I can really feel how some of the muscles used will translate with the golf swing. As another side note Grant and I had a great conversation about how athletic the golf swing is and once he started using the technical terms I really got a better understanding about how much is involved in the golf swing, it's quite complicated to say the least!

Just finished day 5.  A few more sets were added, but not weight.  The lack of weights thus far was my concern, but as Grant points out, this was to learn the movements.  So far, my favorite parts have been the core routines and the stretches.  There are a couple of stretches that stretch muscles I didn't even know I had.

I noticed a touch of soreness in my legs over the last few days, so I know it's working. I really enjoying the workouts and having a plan when I get to the gym to keep me motivated.

Well it's with sad regret that I say I have to hold off on the workouts for now. I was helping a neighbor with some construction this weekend and totally threw my back out. I've been advised to hold off on any strenuous activities until my back has had a chance to recover. I've been in contact with Grant and he's been very helpful, he's even willing to leave my workout open until I get back to normal. I have enjoyed the first few days of the workout and think it will really help my golf game in the long run, I can't wait to start again. Thanks for the opportunity and willingness to help! (That's what I get for helping my neighbor!!!)

Maybe it's all in my head, but with just a  little over a week into the program, I think I am starting to see physical changes in my midsection.  Things seem a little tighter and I am starting to see my obliques becoming more defined.

As far as my golf game, I really haven't seen a change yet.  Although I am in the midst of implementing more S&T; fundamentals that aren't translating as quickly as I would like so I am struggling at the range and on the course. So, it isn't fair to say if it's helping or hurting at this point.

Will keep everyone posted as things progress

Yesterday's workout whipped me.  After speaking with Grant, we decided it would be best  for me to add an additional set to every exercise with the weights and core and I can tell a difference today.  I am a sore in my legs, chest, and stomach.  Nothing major...I could still go out and swing a club today, but I can tell I lifted weights.  Fortunately, today is an off day and tomorrow is a cardio/core day that can be done at home, so I have plenty of time to rest before I hit the weights again. Overall, this is a great workout...especially for golf.

If you have any questions about the program or my results, please ask.

• 2 weeks later...

As the workouts are stepping up, my scores are dropping.

I can't say for sure that the program that I am on is a direct result, but I know it hasn't hurt.  I've gone from shooting in the upper 90's (sometimes over 100) to low 80's.  My drives are longer, not miles, but 10 or so yards...as are my wedges.  So much so,  that I am going to had to readjust my yardages on my 52, 56, and 60 degree wedges.

During this time, I also made a visit to the Golf Evolution , so I know that has helped with my swing. The workout program and great instruction combined have really helped my game.

One thing I will also will say regarding this program is that my wife has started to take notice of my changing physique. My midsection is thinner, leaner, and more defined.  Thus far, all I can say is am I happy that I was chosen to participate in this and am loving the results.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 4607 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!