IGNORED

Iron number and wedge question.

Note: This thread is 4138 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all, I am looking at this 10 iron set online, and in the description it says (4-gw). Every website I have been on lists the wedges: Pitching then Gap wedge, then sand wedge, and finally the lob wedge. It says in the description on the website that its a 10 iron set, unless I am miscounting or misunderstanding what a 10 iron set is, I believe that a 10 iron set is 10 clubs. If this is true irons 4 through a gap wedge only add up to 8 clubs. There are two missing, which leads me to believe that the website information is wrong, the list of a gw is NOT a gap wedge, or they just aren't listing the sand and lob wedges. The website makes no mention to extra equipment such as head covers or a bag or anything. I am looking for help understanding the clubs description to make sure I want to get them if there really is 10 clubs in this set.

Thanks in advance.

Adding a side note: under the size category it lists them as 4-sw, if that is for sand wedge that is great but that would still only be 9 clubs total. still not seeing where the 10 comes from.

If you can provide a link, maybe that can help? It isn't unheard of for some sets now to include a "10-iron" -- this allows them to lower the loft of the longer clubs even more (and claim "longer clubs") without having to add a [i]second[/i] gap wedge. If the set you're looking at does this, you've got 4 5 6 7 8 9 T P G S for ten clubs.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Shindig

If you can provide a link, maybe that can help?

It isn't unheard of for some sets now to include a "10-iron" -- this allows them to lower the loft of the longer clubs even more (and claim "longer clubs") without having to add a second gap wedge. If the set you're looking at does this, you've got 4 5 6 7 8 9 T P G S for ten clubs.

Would it be a possibility that they would include 4-9 then P, and BOTH A and G then a S? Even though A and G are pretty much the same thing if not identical?

I have heard before that they call a PW a 10 iron other companies call a piching wedge a Groundwedge,

maybe here is a point.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

To add to what ezmorningrebel said if you look at the picture of the club on the website it's a "Ram FX Max 10" club

Ram = Manufacturer

FX Max 10 = Model

You therefore get a 4i, 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i, 9i, PW, GW in the set.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Alright that explains that part but I still have one more question. On the website it lists them as 4-gw, but under the size it says: Size : 4-SWMRH  Does the 4-sw mean Sand Wedge or does that mean something else?

Again, thanks in advance!

Could be that 4-GW (8 clubs) is standard, and a SW has been added as a promo item. I would contact the store to find out - it might be a Ram SW that's not from the Max 10 line.

History note: I played MacGregor MT irons (1973 edition) for many years, and the PW in the set was called a 10-iron.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Originally Posted by SirSmashFace

Alright that explains that part but I still have one more question. On the website it lists them as 4-gw, but under the size it says: Size : 4-SWMRH  Does the 4-sw mean Sand Wedge or does that mean something else?

Again, thanks in advance!

SW is Sand Wedge

MRH is Mens Right Handed

I'd assume that either:

1. The set is a 4i, 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i, 9i, PW, GW based on the description and title across a lot of different websites.
  2. The set is a 4i, 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i, 9i, PW, GW, SW based on the 'size' of one website. Could be that they don't have a database entry for "4-GW MRH" so they chose the nearest one.

My guess would be number 1 but for the sake of a phone call it may be worth calling rather than guessing?

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Quote:

"FX Max 10" iron set.  The "4-SWMRH" is either Sport's Authority or Ram's part number, and can mean whatever they want it to mean, not necessarily 4-SW.

4-SWMRH probably means "irons 4 through SW for Men, Right Handed."

Question would be whether there is a GW in the set, or if it jumps from PW to Sand Wedge.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• 1 year later...

This is an old thread, and I think the OP was looking at FX max 10 graphite shaft irons, not sure. Anyway, I used a gift card to pick up a new set of these clubs with  steel shafts for thirty seven bucks for 4-AW at Sports Authority. Original price was 199. All the irons except for the 5 iron have smooth True Temper steel shafts. I think the smooth shafts are called rifle shafts are they not? The five iron has a standard True Temper steel shaft. Not sure why it is the only club like that. Anyway, they seem like really good irons and can't beat the price. I like them because they have a narrower sole and thinner top line than most cavity back irons. Simple logo medallion in red and black, with a nice sound and good feel. I may use them in place of my Golds. They are certainly an upgrade from my older steel shaft Ram Axial irons, that is for sure.

In my  bag:

Driver, Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 9.5 stiff

3, 5 woods: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15,18 degrees Stiff

2 hybrid: Callaway Diable Edge Tour 18 degrees R (out when the 5 wood is in)

3,6 hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 21 S and 30 degrees R

4,5 hybrids: Callaway Razr X HL 24 and 27 degrees Stiff

7-AW irons: Callaway Razr HL graphite R shafts 

SW 54 Callaway X Series Jaws CC Slate Fujikura Graphite Stiff

Putter: Odessey White Ice 1 Blade Putter. 

Ball...looking for any ball that hates water, sand, long grass, and getting lost in the woods. 

I can't find any, so forced to use ones that seem to love all the above. 

Note: This thread is 4138 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!