IGNORED

Question about my new Mizuno JPX 800 clubs

Note: This thread is 4650 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I finally took the plunge and bought some new irons. My old irons were Titleist AP1’s and my new ones are a mix of Mizuno JPX 800 & JPX 800 Pro’s. The 5i & 6i are JPX 800 while the 7i – PW are JPX 800 Pro’s. The shafts are GS95 S300 after hitting them everyday at the range I noticed that in generally I was able to hit the new clubs 5-10 yards further except my PW! It seems I have lost 5 yards on PW and it seems to go around the same distance as my GW. It could be my lack of consistency but what would be the easiest way to determine if it’s my swing of the loft of the club?

So I finally took the plunge and bought some new irons. My old irons were Titleist AP1’s and my new ones are a mix of Mizuno JPX 800 & JPX 800 Pro’s. The 5i & 6i are JPX 800 while the 7i – PW are JPX 800 Pro’s. The shafts are GS95 S300 after hitting them everyday at the range I noticed that in generally I was able to hit the new clubs 5-10 yards further except my PW! It seems I have lost 5 yards on PW and it seems to go around the same distance as my GW. It could be my lack of consistency but what would be the easiest way to determine if it’s my swing of the loft of the club?

Unless the PW were a mis-labeled GW or somehow bent 4* weak, it shouldn't be the club's loft. You can always take it to a clubfitter and ask them to verify the loft of the club. I think most of them would do it for free, because you'd probably want them to bend it if it were off specs. At least, the PGA Superstore and Dicks probably would, based on what I've done with them. Although you should probably get the other clubs' lofts checked too before bending anything. That's the easiest way to get a definitive answer. Short of that, eyeball the two clubs next to each other to see if the PW looks stronger and has the 1/4" longer shaft (or whatever shaft difference there should be). If it passes the eyeball test, ensure you're not changing your swing with your PW; for example, flipping more at impact with the anticipation of needing more power for the shorter club, that can add loft and subtract distance.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Id say get the loft checked.  Mizuno is known for having issues with quality control and its possible that the loft is incorrect and needs to be adjusted.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

The irons loft are stronger than ap1
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

What is the ball flight comparison between the gap and pitching wedges that go about the same length? Same height? Same release on the greens? Are you making the same kind of contact with both clubs?

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

I live in a small town and was fitted and bought the Mizuno irons when i went to go visit my sister in Austin, TX. I probably wont visit my sister anytime soon, so i will see if i can get the lofts checked somewhere in town.

@Rustyredcab

Quote:
What is the ball flight comparison between the gap and pitching wedges that go about the same length? Same height? Same release on the greens? Are you making the same kind of contact with both clubs?

The feeling i get with my AP1's is that my PW is more an iron then a wedge, while with the JPX 800 pro's the PW acts like more a wedge then an iron, does that make sense? My GW (nike sv tour 50 degrees) carries around 85-90 yards while the JPX 800 Pro PW carries around 95 yards and my Titleist AP1 PW carried 100 yards. I have not tried them on the greens yet, i have been spending the last week on the range trying to get a feel for the new irons i will play this weekend though. I feel my contact is a little less consistent with the the JPX 800 Pro's i really have to pay attention while the AP1's i could for the most just swing at the ball.

Hittting the sweet spot on the JPX 800 Pros makes a big differnce.

I lost 10 yards when I first got mine but now I am hitting the ball further than I could with other clubs.

My JPX Pro PW is a solid 100 yards.

Give it a few weeks of practice as I doubt it's the club but they are soft and can be bent easly...

I originally thought your GW was also a JPX-800 Pro. That's what I have and it fits right in with the set yardage wise. My Titleist GW felt very different than the Mizunos.

The Mizunos are more like wedges -- that's why I got them. You can hit them a wide range of distances with the forged irons.

My suggestion is to order a Mizuno GW and hit the sweet spot on all your clubs. :) I am swinging easier and trying to adjust my yardages down in order to hit the sweet spot more often. They feel awesome when you hit that spot and I find my distance control is better too when I swing at 70% - 90%.

Here are my "full swing" yardages

GW 90-105

PW 105-115

9-I 110-125

I can get more if I jump on them (a 125-130 yard PW), but I try never to jump on them. I can hit a sand wedge 90 yards but would rather hit the GW in most situations. I also pitch with the GW from 50-90 yards when the ball flight calls for it. I love that club for chipping too.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Note: This thread is 4650 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!