IGNORED

BIZARRE hole-in-one! Or not?

bbqueen
Note: This thread is 4627 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Shorty

Yep.

You aren't a 7 handicap.

Of course it's not a hole in one. His ball gets replaced. How could a "7" marker not know that?

A "7" marker also knows that shanks don't go towards the hole.

HAHAHA! This thread is hysterical.

First of all, I'm asking myself "What the hell is this dude's trip and why would he think I'm a 7 HC?"

More like a 70. I play mabe 7-8 times a year.

The only reason I registered on here was to hopefully answer my question, and I didn't realize the whole "handicap index" thing.

Silly me.

Anyhooooo.............. The ruling would be: No ace, and the the ball that was that was holed gets replaced where it originally sat, while the other sits where it stopped?

Originally Posted by Boyder

How can someone's "handicap" reflect on their total and complete knowledge of the game? We see pros every week calling in officials to get rulings or being DQ'd for making bad rules decisions and they have handicaps we all dream of having ...

BTW - my only handicap is my golf swing (and my putting!), but I feel I know the basic rules of the game as well as anyone ....

and to answer the ORIGINAL post - that's not a hole in one, the ball that was hit gets placed back as close to its original position as possible.

Still can't understand how a thread like this can get so far off topic ... I find it irritating and petty. Just my 2 cents.

This ^

Some people just have nothing better to do than be an internet-elitist. Same kind of people that you hear talking in a club-house and all you can do is drink a beer and get out of there as quickly as possible. Gets my blood boiling lol

HAHAHA! This thread is hysterical.

First of all, I'm asking myself "What the hell is this dude's trip and why would he think I'm a 7 HC?"

More like a 70. I play mabe 7-8 times a year.

Oh I don't know, maybe because you have listed your handicap as 7 in your profile? Why put a number there at all if you don't know it?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

this thread just turned funny as shorty was right!

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

First, it's been clearly stated in this thread that it is not a hole-in-one. The ball gets placed back where it was.

Second, you're wrong about the other situation as well: If the ball is on the edge of the cup as a result of your stoke, you have ten seconds after walking there for it to drop. It has nothing to do with whether you've addressed it. (If you did address it and it fell in that would be a penalty stroke and you'd replace, but that's a different rule than what you're talking about.)  If it falls in before 10 seconds, you've holed with the last shot. If it falls in after that, it's holed with the last shot and you add a penalty stroke.

Please don't post guesses about the rules. More importantly, don't post incorrect statements about the rules. If you'd like to research and then post, that's great - you can find the answers here: http://www.usga.org.

Sorry for trying to be part of the conversation.  I thought I had an understanding but I was incorrect (not trying to guess).  However you don't have to jump on someone for being incorrect on a rule.  The purpose of this forum I thought was to help people understand and learn about golf so there is no real need to be rude.  Sorry I am not perfect "Forum Leader".

In my bag:

Driver: Covert Performance
Super Hybrid : :nike: 2H - 17* Covert Performance

Irons: :nike:Covert 4I - PW

Wedges: :nike:X3X Wedges (52*, 56*, 60*)

Putter: Method Core 1i

Ball: :nike:One RZN

Upgrading Always.

I believe his point was that you shouldn't try to answer a question about the rules with a guess. Especially when the correct ruling was given well before your post. A user just glancing through the thread might happen to come across your post and take that as the correct ruling.

Originally Posted by Teamanglerx

Sorry for trying to be part of the conversation.  I thought I had an understanding but I was incorrect (not trying to guess).  However you don't have to jump on someone for being incorrect on a rule.  The purpose of this forum I thought was to help people understand and learn about golf so there is no real need to be rude.  Sorry I am not perfect "Forum Leader".

Originally Posted by Teamanglerx

And you were doing a disservice to that purpose by getting rules wrong without researching them first. If you weren't sure why post at all? "I am not sure of the rule but I think..." is a guess in my book - call it "an understanding" or a "speculation" or whatever, it was still wrong. And you were wrong on the other rule you referenced and didn't even preface that with an "I think...", you just made a statement.  If you really want to be part of the conversation, you ought to read the entire thread before responding - you would've seen the question had already been answered, as I said in my OP.

Sorry if I came off as rude, but if you were put off by my response then you're lucky you didn't see Shorty's before it was deleted.  And btw, "Forum Leader" is a title the administrators gave me, not something I typed in myself just to look important.

Originally Posted by deasy55

I believe his point was that you shouldn't try to answer a question about the rules with a guess. Especially when the correct ruling was given well before your post. A user just glancing through the thread might happen to come across your post and take that as the correct ruling.

Exactly.  That's why I felt strongly enough to give you  (Teamanglerx) a slap on the wrist. Again, sorry if it came off as "jumping on you" but not sure how I could've put it any more nicely.

Bill

No one in this thread quoted the specific rule.  It was all "everyone knows this blah blah blah."  The question was never truly answered.  There have been several other similar rule threads where people are of different opinions and usually someone quotes the specific 4.5.b1 whatever rule to end the speculation.  In this case there was no specific rule quote so how am I to know that this is the correct ruling and not a bunch of peoples opinions?  If it is a disservice to get a rule wrong isn't also a disservice to say a rule is right without quoting the specific rule?  If you are going to slap me on the wrist for being wrong then you need to slap all the people who were right for not listing the specific rule to prove they were correct.

In my bag:

Upgrading Always.

You could try looking up the rule yourself, it's not that hard. A ball at rest at the green was moved by another ball. [quote]18 - Ball at Rest Moved 18 - 5 By Another Ball If a ball in play and at rest is moved by another ball in motion after a stroke, the moved ball must be replaced.[/quote]

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by Zeph

A ball at rest at the green was moved by another ball.

You could/should remove the words "at the green" from your reply, as this rule (18) applies everywhere.

If someone is saying that "this is the rule" then they should have the information to prove this is the case.

In my bag:

Upgrading Always.

Shorty is right a handicap is usually a good sign that someone understands the rules of golf pretty well. They might not have read a rule book but from playing tournaments and with other like handicaps they would pick a lot of stuff up. Plus a big factor is if a 6 handicap told me I don't really know the rules I probably wouldn't believe they were a real 6 since they got there without knowing the rules. Now I'm not saying every low handicap knows every rule I've been in situations where I need to consult a rule book or ask someone but with most low handicaps their knowledge of the rules is very good.

As for a PGA player always getting rulings they do it because that's why rules officials are there and they have millions of eyes on them all the time. They know the rules but if someone calls in, a marshall says something, or any fan says something the rules official was present.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Unless it's a serious round, where you would replace it

if it were a tourney or another type of competition i would replace it. But i dont get payed to play, recieve free products, or get onto courses free of charge, until then im just gonna go out to have fun. Dont take life to seriously, youll never get out alive.

Unless it's a serious round, where you would replace it

It is replaced as close as possible to where the players agree it was moved from.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

You could/should remove the words "at the green" from your reply, as this rule (18) applies everywhere.

That is the situation, not the rule. The rule is stated underneath, which does not mention the green.

Who said I was taking life too seriously? I only said that you don't have a choice about calling it a hole in one if it was a competition......

I personally wouldn't call it a hole in 1 either in a fun round....unless I like lying to myself

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoIrish

if it were a tourney or another type of competition i would replace it. But i dont get payed to play, recieve free products, or get onto courses free of charge, until then im just gonna go out to have fun. Dont take life to seriously, youll never get out alive.

Note: This thread is 4627 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!