IGNORED

What is the rule on cleaning the ball

tomvk77
Note: This thread is 4621 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yesterday i had an argument with my buddy, after alot off rain our course is

wet, and i hit a drive straight down the fairway but it was in his own pichmark, i know i can take the ball out and place it next to the mark not closer to the hole. So i did and i picked the ball up and cleaned it than replaced the ball not closer to the hole out of the pichmark.

He told me i just took 2 shots penalty by cleaning the ball.

I was told if you are allowed to pick up your ball for any kind off ruling your allowed to clean the ball, also whenn your ball lies unplayable, or for taking a free drop.

can anyone tell me if i was right not to count the penalty shots, it was just a regular round so it didn't count for my hdc.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

25-2. Embedded Ball

A ball embedded in its own pitch-mark in the ground in any closely mown area through the green may be lifted, cleaned and dropped, without penalty, as near as possible to the spot where it lay but not nearer the hole . The ball when dropped must first strike a part of the course through the green . "Closely mown area" means any area of the course, including paths through the rough, cut to fairway height or less.

Bryan

:wishon:  919, Aldila Voodoo  :callaway: Razr X Tour 3h  :callaway: Razr Hawk 3w, Aldila NV  :callaway: Razr X Forged 4-PW, KBS Tour  :wishon:  52, 56, 60, KBS Tour
 :odyssey: White Ice 330, 33in  :aimpoint:    :true_linkswear:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Often when a course if very wet and embedded balls are common there is a local rule that permits lift, clean, and place in your own fairway.  Maybe that was your situation.

Butch

I don't think you are allowed to clean your ball if you are asked to mark it when not on the green. You mark, hold, and replace without cleaning in that case. (I know that was the rule and I do not recall seeing that it changed.) I think every other time you are allowed to touch the ball, you can clean it.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

I don't think you are allowed to clean your ball if you are asked to mark it when not on the green. You mark, hold, and replace without cleaning in that case. (I know that was the rule and I do not recall seeing that it changed.) I think every other time you are allowed to touch the ball, you can clean it.

There are three Rules under one may lift his ball and not clean it:

- R5-3 (ball unfit for play)'

- R22-1 (ball assisting or interfering with play)

- R12-2 (identifying a bll)

Every other time a player is entitled to clean the ball lifted, whether lifting is allowed or not.

Originally Posted by Ignorant

Every other time a player is entitled to clean the ball lifted, whether lifting is allowed or not.

I had forgotten about the last one but knew it. I do not understand R5-3 (ball unfit for play). What situation does that refer to?

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

I had forgotten about the last one but knew it. I do not understand R5-3 (ball unfit for play). What situation does that refer to?

5-3. Ball Unfit for Play

A ball is unfit for play if it is visibly cut, cracked or out of shape. A ball is not unfit for play solely because mud or other materials adhere to it, its surface is scratched or scraped or its paint is damaged or discolored.

If a player has reason to believe his ball has become unfit for play during play of the hole being played, he may lift the ball, without penalty, to determine whether it is unfit.

Before lifting the ball, the player must announce his intention to his opponent in match play or his marker or a fellow-competitor in stroke play and mark the position of the ball. He may then lift and examine it, provided that he gives his opponent, marker or fellow-competitor an opportunity to examine the ball and observe the lifting and replacement. The ball must not be cleaned when lifted under Rule 5-3 .

If the player fails to comply with all or any part of this procedure or if he lifts the ball without having reason to believe that it has become unfit for play during play of the hole being played,

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Paradox, Makes sense. I wasn't thinking about checking for a ball unfit and finding that it was still fit. I was thinking about once you take it out of play and could not figure why I can't clean an unfit if I wish. :)

On the subject, if asked to mark your ball off the green, provided that you do not wipe or clean the ball, can you replace it in a different orientation -- for example with the logo lining up your next shot, or the mud on side of the ball instead of the back?

I've always been careful to hold the ball with two fingers to avoid accidentally cleaning it with my palm, and then I replace it exactly as I found it. Often these are balls near the green and I'd love to carefully place it with my putting line pointing the direction I'm going to hit the next shot. I use a line for my tee shots and my putts. I find lining up my ball like it is a drive or putt is a huge help when playing lift, clean, and place due to a temporary local rule.

I am not sure but I think there would be no penalty for placing a ball in a different orientation when replacing on a mark.  Maybe there is some kind of ruling because of mud but I doubt it.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Originally Posted by Paradox

I am not sure but I think there would be no penalty for placing a ball in a different orientation when replacing on a mark.  Maybe there is some kind of ruling because of mud but I doubt it.

You are right, the orientation of the ball is irrelevant, you may replace your ball as you wish. In the old days one had to replace the ball in the exact same orientation when applying R5-3, 12-2 or 22 but this has changed a long time ago.

Originally Posted by Ignorant

Also, when lifted for identification, the ball may be cleaned only as much as necessary to identify it.  So so cleaning may be necessary, and that much is allowed.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4621 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!