IGNORED

Afraid of Terrible Shots - Play a Round anyway?

FowlPlay
Note: This thread is 4628 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by newtogolf

If you're playing a round to count towards your handicap you should use ESC (Equitable Score Stroke Control) ...

That's probably what you meant, but FYI.

Bill

Originally Posted by FowlPlay

I wanted to get some feedback on the issue I have right now. Basically I'm dying to get back on to the course because all I've been able to do is practice my swing for the past week. My problem is that I'm afraid to go get paired with someone or some people and be the one hitting 3+ more strokes on each hole.

To put it into perspective, a couple weeks ago my score on a par 36 public 9 hole course was 81 (I'm well aware that is beyond terrible). Granted, I feel like I have improved my swing motion since then, but having not hit the range or the course recently, I really can't know if I'm gonna be hitting the ball into the next fairway again.

What's your advice?

When I started out I played by myself often, and was paired with others often.  All you have to do to ease the stress is simply tell them upfront that you may not be very good.  90% of golfers will understand and don't mind playing with you.  This also puts you at ease after hitting a bad shot, and less tension on you to hit a good one to impress.

A perfect example: I pulled a muscle in my back two months ago.  The first time I went back on the course I was paired with three guys.  I told them right away that it was my first time back from a back injury.  I hit well, but had a few shots that went wide.  They didn't mind at all.

Ogio Grom
Driver: TaylorMade Burner 2.0   |   Woods:
TaylorMade V Steel
Irons:
TaylorMade Burner 2.0 3-AW   |   Putter: TaylorMade Rossa

My advice would be to find a par 3 course they are generally cheaper than playing 9 holes. They are a perfect place for a beginner to learn the game and most people there are beginners so you won't feel stressed. I do agree with skipping a couple 9 hole rounds and getting a lesson. Even if you only can get one you will have the chance to learn a lot and get some drills that you can do on your own. If you want to play 9 try going in the evenings when the course isn't crowded.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I just got a membership that allows me to play at 3 different clubs in my area including one within 3 miles of my house, so hopefully I'll get to play there a lot during the week. I don't know if I'll have enough money for a lesson this week, considering I still have to buy golf shoes and I really want to buy my dad a cheap set so he can play with me.

I'm figuring in a couple weeks I'm definitely gonna get a half hour lesson. Just to get the proper swing motion down. I'm thinking once I can get a consistent swing down I won't need another lesson until I'm approaching the next stage in development.

I used to play golf everyday as a kid from about 9-12 years old, and I found that I was pretty good. So the process right now is just finding that skill again.

Note: This thread is 4628 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!