IGNORED

14 Clubs

jswang519
Note: This thread is 4083 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by mikeprooo

I bought a Sun Mountain micro cart bag for my similarly-named cart....and it has 15 dividers/holes/etc for clubs....and I had to ask myself why???  If only 14 clubs legal??  Ball retriever???

- Ball retriever

- Alignment sticks

- Practice tool (Tour Striker, Speed Whoosh etc)

- Swinkey

- Broken shaft used for alignment/practice

Plenty of random uses for it.

By the way, how do you like the cart? I'm toying with the idea of getting one to replace my current cheapo 2-wheeled "drag it up the hill" cart.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

- Ball retriever

- Alignment sticks

- Swinkey

By the way, how do you like the cart? I'm toying with the idea of getting one to replace my current cheapo 2-wheeled "drag it up the hill" cart.

OR even a golf club. Not everyone cares about the 14 club rule, especially during a practice round.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Not to me Mr. Rules... but anything that is like a club (Tour Striker) is counted in your 14. If it is non-conforming -- like a club with a special training grip -- I'm not sure if a non-conforming club can be carried or not even if it is within the 14 clubs. Sticks and shafts without heads are fine.

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

- Ball retriever

- Alignment sticks

- Swinkey

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

• 1 month later...
[RIGHT][/RIGHT][quote name="mikeprooo" url="/t/53038/14-clubs#post_647932"]

I bought a Sun Mountain micro cart bag for my similarly-named cart....and it has 15 dividers/holes/etc for clubs....and I had to ask myself why???  If only 14 clubs legal??  Ball retriever???

[/quote]I have a Sun Mountain Phantom cart bag - same set up. 14 individual club dividers and a putter well. I only carry 14, but it's tempting;-)

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Originally Posted by mikeprooo

Or alignment sticks... or you simply don't give a shit about the rules and carry 15.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The whole 14 club thing to me seems a bit much.

What....is that 15th club going to make one a better player? Is it a secret golf weapon? If it were, wouldnt one just remove another club to make space for it?

This is one rule I simply cannot wrap my mind around.

That said I currently have 15 in my bag because its all my irons, all of my new woods (7 club set), my driver and my putter. I dont want to leave any of my babies behind.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Golfs-for-Fun

The whole 14 club thing to me seems a bit much.

What....is that 15th club going to make one a better player? Is it a secret golf weapon? If it were, wouldnt one just remove another club to make space for it?

This is one rule I simply cannot wrap my mind around.

Because if 15, why not 16? Why not 18? 20? 30? 50? The line had to be drawn somewhere, so they drew it at 14.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I remember playing with a guy I got paired up with, and his golf bag was stuffed with clubs. I asked him how many he was carrying, and he had 17 clubs in his bag! Ridiculous. There needs to be a limit or you will see some people carrying an absurd number of clubs. Limit is 14, shouldn't be a problem to deal with. Besides, how often when you play do you need to hit every club in your bag? It's not exactly a problem.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Originally Posted by iacas

Because if 15, why not 16? Why not 18? 20? 30? 50? The line had to be drawn somewhere, so they drew it at 14.

But what difference does it actually make in the game? Are they worried the excess weight will kill a caddie? Whats the POINT of the limit?

28 clubs wont win me any more games or give me any advantage over 14 clubs.

What it may do is make my game worse if I have to lug that bag myself or screw with my mental game if I have too many options to think consider when pulling a club.

I dont see why someone needs 50 clubs, but if he wanted I just dont see how it affects anyone but the poor  caddy.

Originally Posted by Jmdmbike

I remember playing with a guy I got paired up with, and his golf bag was stuffed with clubs. I asked him how many he was carrying, and he had 17 clubs in his bag! Ridiculous.

There needs to be a limit or you will see some people carrying an absurd number of clubs. Limit is 14, shouldn't be a problem to deal with. Besides, how often when you play do you need to hit every club in your bag? It's not exactly a problem.

And by the same token what difference does it make to your game if Im carrying 15 clubs? Know what I mean?

Limit is 14 according to the actual rules, but since I dont play with guys who think that 15th club is my secret weapon, we just play and dont think about it.

I have a set of fairway woods I made a few weeks ago that hit really well and I carry them all while Im learning to play. I have a set of 6 irons 4-9 and a driver and a putter.

Shouldnt be any skin off anyone elses nose if I pack an extra club or not. It certainly isnt going to win me any games.

If I was interested in tourney play, Id drop a couple fairway woods and call it even. Since Im not... meh. I'll use them all for the time being

Originally Posted by Kobey

I just want it raised to 15 so I can carry my chipper.

Ive been seriously considering getting a double sided chipper from Hireko.

http://www.hirekogolf.com/hireko/orderportal/catalog_presentation/by_group/0/186/0/0/0/0/0

Nice to have something that can be hit right or left handed llike that.

I generally use my 7, 8 or 9 irons for around the green, but I wonder if a chipper wouldnt do better in some cases.

• Administrator

And by the same token what difference does it make to your game if Im carrying 15 clubs? Know what I mean?

Again, because they had to draw the line somewhere, so they chose 14, for reasons I'm sure made sense to them at the time.

http://www.ruleshistory.com/clubs.html

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ive been seriously considering getting a double sided chipper from Hireko.

http://www.hirekogolf.com/hireko/orderportal/catalog_presentation/by_group/0/186/0/0/0/0/0

Nice to have something that can be hit right or left handed llike that.

I generally use my 7, 8 or 9 irons for around the green, but I wonder if a chipper wouldnt do better in some cases.

I was researching why more people didn't use chippers when I found this forum.  There was a good thread about them http://thesandtrap.com/t/4034/chippers-and-putting-wedges

Like iacas said, it's 14 because they had to draw the line somewhere.... why not 13 or 15 I don't know.  However, carrying an extra club does give an advantage as it gives you an extra option to go with...

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

Like iacas said, it's 14 because they had to draw the line somewhere.... why not 13 or 15 I don't know.  However, carrying an extra club does give an advantage as it gives you an extra option to go with...

The extra option reasoning doesnt make a whole lot of sense.

I have a set of irons in my bag and some woods. Im set up with those clubs to make every shot from the furthest I can hit to the closest and every distance in between.

What other 'option' could I have between those two distances....furthest and closest, that would give me some terrible advantage?

Just doesnt sound like the limit was given for any game play reason.

Originally Posted by Kobey

I was researching why more people didn't use chippers when I found this forum.  There was a good thread about them http://thesandtrap.com/t/4034/chippers-and-putting-wedges

Informative thread.

Enough negative comments to make me rethink buying a chipper.

The extra option reasoning doesnt make a whole lot of sense.

I have a set of irons in my bag and some woods. Im set up with those clubs to make every shot from the furthest I can hit to the closest and every distance in between.

What other 'option' could I have between those two distances....furthest and closest, that would give me some terrible advantage?

Just doesnt sound like the limit was given for any game play reason.

Well, lets take a common question from the equipment forum... "Should I get a 5 wood or another wedge?"

The thing is that most golfers (who follow the 14 club rule) have to make a choice somewhere and often times it is this... Somewhere in the bag there is usually a distance gap.  Sometimes it is between a 3 wood and the longest iron or between the irons and wedges.  Some people carry the 5 wood and GW so they don't have quite the same distance gap problem but they go without a LW and so they make those type of shots with a SW.... the point is that there is a limit, and so there are a few shots that if you come across them you have to make them with something other than your "ideal" choice.  The fact is that many golfers carry different clubs based on the course and/or conditions they are playing in because a set of 14 doesn't give them all the options that they need.

And of course you have all the options you need... as you previously said you play with 15 clubs; if you decided to follow the rules and had to get rid of a club, which one would it be?  I'm sure there is a reason you carry it and it would surely take an option away from you...

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Note: This thread is 4083 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!