• Announcements

    • iacas

      GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Contest   09/22/2016

      Join our GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Challenge to win an autographed GAME GOLF, a Pebble Steel watch, and many more great prizes!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jswang519

14 Clubs

75 posts in this topic

I am still new to golf and learning something new about it everyday.

I just read somewhere that supposedly, you are only allowed to have 14 clubs in the bag. Does the 14 include the putter?

If so, then I would be in violation of the rule by 1 club :-/ Not that it really matters when I'm playing just for fun, but for future reference, I want to know this in case I join a local tournament.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

14 clubs includes the putter.  You can have 14 of whatever kind of clubs you want(rules conforming, of course) but no more than 14.

Someone could carry 13 different drivers and a putter if they wanted...or maybe they just don't like putting and they carry 14 drivers.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind, maybe I should carry 14 drivers haha

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by jswang519

If so, then I would be in violation of the rule by 1 club :-/ Not that it really matters when I'm playing just for fun, but for future reference, I want to know this in case I join a local tournament.


Now I am being anal but anyway. You are playing for fun, but also keeping a HC? By which rules you are playing these stipulated rounds?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a 2 stroke penalty for every whole you fail to declare the extra club.

Who rembers this? Ouch!

http://www.caddybytes.com/myles_byrne!.htm

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by luu5

Now I am being anal but anyway. You are playing for fun, but also keeping a HC? By which rules you are playing these stipulated rounds?


My HC index is not an official one.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Cleveland CG16 7i that I use as my "bad lie" club where I need to play it off an area of ground that's stoney or otherwise could mess up my irons.

I find that if I'm playing a course where I feel I'll need it I have to decide what to remove from the bag to allow space for it. I know I could just add it and run with 15 clubs as I normally play solo but it feels like cheating so I have a think about what club I normally use least at that course or in general and I take that out instead.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by paulg

It's a 2 stroke penalty for every whole you fail to declare the extra club.

Who rembers this? Ouch!

http://www.caddybytes.com/myles_byrne!.htm


But the maximum penalty is still 4 strokes, even if you carry them for all 18 holes.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes. 14 is the limit including your putter. Penalty is 2 strokes per hole you fail to declare. 4 stroke maximum.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was nosing around my local golf store today and fell in love with the Ogio Assassin. Love the design, love the colour, love the amount of pockets, love the weight, love the ball silo, love the additional cooler pocket, love the two soft-lined pockets. Also like the extra loops on the side of the bag to attach it to my trolley via bungee hooks so I pulled the trigger.

I got it home, took a look at the top and then had to wrack my brains for 20 minutes trying to figure out how the top divider is supposed to be used for your clubs. There seems to be no putter well or putter hole in the top to make the putter easily accessible and whatever combination of setup I used the clubs still clattered into each other.

To sum up; looks great, works crap. Unless I have a brain wave between now and then I'll be taking it back first thing in the morning.

I have a sudden appreciation for my Woode top Ogio Vaporlite.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a nice option for me... so I looked for reviews on line. They say the front and back club wells are bigger and intended for the driver and putter. I'd love to know if you think this works well enough before I consider adding another bag to my collection.

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

I was nosing around my local golf store today and fell in love with the Ogio Assassin. Love the design, love the colour, love the amount of pockets, love the weight, love the ball silo, love the additional cooler pocket, love the two soft-lined pockets. Also like the extra loops on the side of the bag to attach it to my trolley via bungee hooks so I pulled the trigger.

I got it home, took a look at the top and then had to wrack my brains for 20 minutes trying to figure out how the top divider is supposed to be used for your clubs. There seems to be no putter well or putter hole in the top to make the putter easily accessible and whatever combination of setup I used the clubs still clattered into each other.

To sum up; looks great, works crap. Unless I have a brain wave between now and then I'll be taking it back first thing in the morning.

I have a sudden appreciation for my Woode top Ogio Vaporlite.



0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by rustyredcab

Looks like a nice option for me... so I looked for reviews on line. They say the front and back club wells are bigger and intended for the driver and putter. I'd love to know if you think this works well enough before I consider adding another bag to my collection.


The front (top) slot is a fraction bigger than the others, however nowhere near the size it should be for a putter to sit inside it without being battered around:

Ogio Assassin

The other slots seem to be pretty much all the same size.

My current thoughts are:

- Based on the colouring of the top and the fact that the center four slots are a little deeper it may be that Ogio intend to have people put their woods in the center 4 slots and irons/wedges around the outside.

- The plastic bar along the bottom gets in the way of shorter wedges so it may be that the woods are meant to go here (in which case the irons could clatter into the graphite shafts!)

- It's bizarre that the slots with plastic guards are set deeper into the bag (bottom three + upper right and upper left slots)

Either way it's confusing at the moment.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Bag Boy Revolver setup is similar to this in that clubs are meant to be placed around the perimeter with slots in the  middle as well.  The Revolver includes two holders on the side of the bag for your putter so I was wondering if maybe the Ogio did as well.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:
I have to say that I really missed having an external putter well. I’ve used one for a while now on my other Ogio bag and it’s just a great feature that is almost a must-have for me.

The third photo (bag on the grass) in that review shows the reviewer's woods being at the bottom of the bag but facing the top - Looks fine until you tilt the bag back on a trolley.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by paulg

It's a 2 stroke penalty for every whole you fail to declare the extra club.

Who rembers this? Ouch!

http://www.caddybytes.com/myles_byrne!.htm

Originally Posted by Fourputt

But the maximum penalty is still 4 strokes, even if you carry them for all 18 holes.


Maximum penalty is disqualification, if the player fails to declare extra clubs out of play immediately upon discovery, regardless of holes played or number of clubs. Just to be precise.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a Sun Mountain micro cart bag for my similarly-named cart....and it has 15 dividers/holes/etc for clubs....and I had to ask myself why???  If only 14 clubs legal??  Ball retriever???

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0