IGNORED

Too much backspin on driver ...

Note: This thread is 3819 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The range I practice on is wet & I spent some time this afternoon working out my driver.     One advantage to these wet conditions is when the ball hits the ground, it won't roll forward - digs in, makes a little ballmark and in my case spins backwards about a foot consistently.     Under dry conditions I'm sure I'd get some degree of roll, but I never knew I was generating that much backspin on my drives until I noticed this consistent pattern in wet conditions.

Is this normal ?    Would seem counterproductive on a drive, as it would impede roll.     If this is caused by a swing fault, is there a rule of thumb issue that causes too much backspin on a drive ?

Thanks !

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

can anybody help a brother out ?     Going to the range later & would like to see if I can work on fixing this ... thx

John

• Administrator

Pros back the driver up in wet conditions too.

You get too much backspin on your driver if your ball regularly balloons a little or reaches peak height way too late in its flight.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I concur with the replies so far. Backspin occurs with every club but the real tale is told with your ball flight.  If you are getting that nice penetrating flight vs ballooning you are fine.  You could always jump on a launch monitor to make sure.  The last time I checked the driver it was @ 2800 for me which was good, but even that jumps back in a soggy fairway.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

Thanks guys for the replies ... played this afternoon & consistently hit some of my best drives to date with my new 10.5* driver (I've always had a high ball flight & used 9* drivers to try to keep the ball down - the 10.5* wasn't any higher at all, and way straighter with just a little draw, no duck hooks today ).

John

• 2 years later...

Well it makes sense but doesn't help me.

I'm stuck.

I hit every one of my clubs WAY HIGH. Helps a lot on my wedges through my 5 hybrid, but, even my fairway woods and driver are scud missiles. They go straight but I think I'm getting so much back spin and that is the reason my ball climbs so high and then just drops.

As i said, it helps with my 5 through wedges (I only hit my 5 hybrid 160, but it's on target)

It's sad to hit a straight ball with a fairway wood or driver and have it travel @ 180 yards in to tal carry but go 200 feet high.

What's my problem(s). I know they are many.

Doc

Well it makes sense but doesn't help me.

I'm stuck.

I hit every one of my clubs WAY HIGH. Helps a lot on my wedges through my 5 hybrid, but, even my fairway woods and driver are scud missiles. They go straight but I think I'm getting so much back spin and that is the reason my ball climbs so high and then just drops.

As i said, it helps with my 5 through wedges (I only hit my 5 hybrid 160, but it's on target)

It's sad to hit a straight ball with a fairway wood or driver and have it travel @ 180 yards in total carry but go 200 feet high.

What's my problem(s). I know they are many.

Doc

I'm by no means an expert, but I can tell you my buddy hits his irons a mile high ... it's pretty obvious he doesn't lag the clubhead & probably is flipping at contact.    Maybe play the ball a bit rearward & force yourself to lag the clubhead with a straight left wrist ...

John

I'm by no means an expert, but I can tell you my buddy hits his irons a mile high ... it's pretty obvious he doesn't lag the clubhead & probably is flipping at contact.    Maybe play the ball a bit rearward & force yourself to lag the clubhead with a straight left wrist ...

Its not really lag, its more of him flipping at the ball. That causes high launch. Proper mechanics brings on the appropriate attack angle and shaft angle at impact.

Driver has loft, it will have backspin. If you want to reduce backspin, put the ball more forward and hit up on the ball. If your still hitting to much backspin make sure your properly fitted.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 3819 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!