IGNORED

Most Visible Ball Color?

Note: This thread is 4614 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 members have voted

1. 1. What color ball is most visible?

• Yellow
    • Orange
    • Pink
    • White

What color ball do you think is most visible?  Obviously white is the traditional favorite, but personally I have trouble with white this time of year as the sun is lower in the sky, the grass turns that white/yellow/brown color (at least here it does), and there are faded dead leaves on the ground.  I've heard good things and bad things about yellow and orange balls.  Based on my experience with surveying, I would think day-glo pink would stand out in the widest variety of conditions.  "I only play what's traditional" comments aside, what color do you think is easiest to see this time of year?

I can't offer a vote since I haven't used anything but white balls since the early 80's. However, after my round yesterday, where I had 6 shots where I never saw the ball flight (2 of which I never found the ball), I am considering going out on a limb and trying something like the Chromax balls - http://www.tgw.com/customer/category/product.jsp/SUBCATEGORY_ID/14331 . They probably won't perform as well as other $3/ball golf balls but I'm not expecting much from winter golf other than to keep swinging.

I voted orange.  I find the orange Bridgestones to be the easiest to spot balls Ive ever played.  I personally dont find that yellows to be any easier to spot than the whites.  Infact, I find Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellows to be MORE difficult to spot because they are more of a greenish color.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Depends.....

Course with healthy green grass? White

Autumn is here, leaves are on the ground? White

Hit your ball into the woods and wonder which one is yours? Yellow

Have a wicked slice/hook and you are next to the driving range? Use opposite color of balls on driving range. White/Yellow

Course with healthy green grass and you want to distinguish your ball from your buddies because you all normally hit the same distance? Yellow

Normally drive a ball around 210 yards? Pink/Orange

I haven't played anything but yellow and white, and I like the yellow balls but never found them to actually be easier to find, and sometimes harder.  Lots of things in nature are yellowish, very few are bright white.

As others said, maybe like day glo pink or orange would be easiest?  Those chromax balls sure do look like they'd be easy to spot...

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Coincidence perhaps but since I started playing yellow srixons back in june, the amount of balls lost in the rough has gone down to almost zero.  Now more than ever I'm having to replace golfballs because ive worn them out and not because they were lost in the rough.

I'm a colored ball guy - tried most every yellow ball I know of.      But if you're looking for maximum visibility, the Wilson Smartcore orange is without question the most visible ball I've ever played - it's the brightest of all the orange balls - practically dayglow orange.    Decent ball as well ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I am red-green color blind. There are a lot of us. Orange is harder to see than yellow for me. Yellow is easier than white. May try some RX's in yellow next spring. I'll swap them for white on the few holes that boarder the driving range with its yellow range balls.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

I voted pink.  Although I have never played a pink ball I can tell you that I see them.  My home course has a lady or two that play them, and I can see their ball when I am on the tee box behind them with no issues.

I have only played the yellow Bridgestone ball a few times and they are easier to see than white in my opinion.

It depends on the course for me. I find the yellow balls (Srixons in particular) to be much easier to track in the sky and spot on more open courses. If the course has a lot of leaves on the ground, then I leave the yellow ball in the car in favor of white. Like Rustyredcab, I have a very hard time spotting the orange balls. And I've never used any other color ball.

In the Ogio Chamber Cart Bag w/ Ogio X4 Synergy Push Cart: Driver: Adams Super LS 7.5* w/ Harrison Striper H2 60x Fairway: Adams Tight Lies 16* Fairway Wood w/ Harrison Mugen Black 70x Irons: Adams Idea Pro Black CB1 Irons w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (3-PW) Wedges: Yururi Raw Gekku w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (53, 57, & 61) Putter: Never Compromise Gambler Straight Ball: Srixon Z-Star/Z-Star XV Tour Yellow GPS: Garmin Approach G6 Shoes: True Linkswear

I imagine there's a scientific reason all the hunting safety clothes are orange and not yellow ... probably the brightest color.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Originally Posted by inthehole

I imagine there's a scientific reason all the hunting safety clothes are orange and not yellow ... probably the brightest color.

Good thing I'm not a hunter.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by inthehole

Or hunters don't think it's manly to wear pink.

I voted yellow but concede that in some environment other colors might be more visible.  I can see the yellow balls for the entire flight.  Most of he time I can't see a white ball the entire flight off the driver.

Butch

Note: This thread is 4614 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!