IGNORED

Hybrids, Fairway woods, or a combination

babyworm
Note: This thread is 3993 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am just getting back into golf after a 6-8 year hiatus (law school, marriage, baby, etc.).  Back when I was playing my best (8-10 years ago) I was about a 10-12 handicap.  I am now getting back into it and have been upgrading my clubs, how having replaced almost my whole bag.

The biggest difference I have encountered is Hybrids.  Back when I was playing a lot, there was no such thing as a hybrid, now they are everywhere.  Along with that is the make-up of a set of irons.  Again, back when I played a lot, a set of irons meant 3-PW.  Now, many iron sets come in 4-PW or even 5-PW, with the difference being made up by hybrids.

I was recently fitted for irons at my local PGA Superstore and purchased a set of Cleveland CG16 irons (5-PW).  At the recommendation of the guy that did the fitting, I also got a Cleveland Mashie Hybrid (21.5*) instead of a 3-4 iron.  I love the Mashie and am considering getting the 15.5* Mashie as well, which leads me to my question.

Would it be worth it to have a 15.5* Hybrid to hit from the fairways and a traditional 3-wood to hit off of a tee?  My driver is often erratic and I am more consistent with a 3-wood off the tee, so my thought is that I should get a good 3-wood to hit off of the tee and a 15.5* hybrid for the fairway.

In your experience, would I get more distance with a traditional 3-wood off the tee or should I just use a hybrid off the tee as well?  Finally, what 3-woods would you guys recommend for hitting almost exclusively off of the tee?

Thanks.

I use a 20* and 23* hybrid in place of 3 and 4 irons -- which means sometimes off the tee like I might if I used a 3-iron off the tee.

My 13.5* 3-wood is used a lot off the tee and is longer than the 20* hybrid. Just got a 5-wood and find it is not much if any longer than the 20* hybrid. Could be a shaft issue with the 5-wood as it flights higher than I would like.

Having a 3-wood that instills confidence on the tee is a very nice thing. Worth the search.  After a long search and many failed attempts, I found and love my 910F 3-wood. Bought it and liked it so much I bought the driver to match -- not the other way around.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

I would advise you to get a 12-13 degree driver at 44.5- 45 inches for the tee box.

OEMs make a driver in those lofts, they have less sidespin and more backspin so they are easier to hit into the fairway.

I would not advise a 15.5 degree hybrid. At that loft, it takes a skilled player for the most part.

good luck.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Definitely good to have a 3 wood for tee shots. You should get better distance from the 3 wood than a lower lofted hybrid. A lower lofted hybrid for long fairway shots is common, but do your self a favor and try hitting fairway woods as well - a 5 or even a 7 - and see what you prefer. Fairway woods have also come a long way and most are pretty user friendly off the deck. All the major manufacturers make really good stuff, just a matter of finding one that you like and that likes you back! I currently bag Ping G15 fairways, which are super clubs, plenty long, forgiving and work well from the tee or fairway.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

I would not advise a 15.5 degree hybrid. At that loft, it takes a skilled player for the most part.

I am a good example of what you're saying there. I'm not a skilled player (been playing less than a year) and I bought a barely used 14º Callaway FT-hybrid and I can't hit it any further than my 9 iron and that's when I do get it to fly. My Taylormade Burner Rescue 19º hybrid is another story though, I've been known to knock one over 200 yards with that thing and hit it good most of the time.

Hyper X 10º driver Diablo Edge 9.5º backup driver

Burner Rescue 3 hybrid 4-A irons 56º wedge 60º wedge CRAZ-E putter

Quote:

Went to a demo day many months ago. Got to test-hit some Callaway and Adams hybrids. Both manufacturer's reps confirm what Mr. Desmond said.

Also, both companies made 17* hybrids only in the pro or tour models, not in the mainline models for mid-HDCP golfers.

A couple of other things to consider.

* A 19-degree hybrid will generally have a shorter shaft than a 5 wood (18 or 19 degrees). So, they hybrid would likely fly shorter.

* Fairway woods have bulge in the clubface, whereas hybrids are fairly straight-faced. The bulge helps spin heel or toe short back toward center; hybrids don't do this.

Give both FW and hybrids try. After some struggle I have located hybrids I could hit, but, I just prefer the fairway woods.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 year later...

I hit a 16* hybrid very well and I also bag a 3 wood, no 5 wood though. I would say there is a 30-40 yard difference between my Callaway X 3 wood to my Taylormade rescue 16*, I hit both off the tee sometimes, one I use for 2-3 iron shots, one for 3 woods shots. Its all how you picture the ballflight IMHO

Note: This thread is 3993 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!