IGNORED

My Swing (Beachcomber)

Beachcomber

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Ok... Crisis adverted! Β The additional knee flex at address shifted my swing path back on the original plane... Here are a few swings at the range tonight with the 8i.

Here is the impact left on the face of the 8i club after hitting ~ dozen shots. The photo is unedited.

It is amazing how changing knee flex - changed my swing path and got everything back in order!!! Β  Thank you so much Erik and Mike!!

Was going to suggest dumping the MP59s for MP64s and moving to soft-stepped X flex c-tapers. But the whole common sense instruction thing works too, if you're into that, bro.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It is amazing how changing knee flex - changed my swing path and got everything back in order!!! Β  Thank you so much Erik and Mike!!

That's why they pay us the big bucks

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

Originally Posted by Stretch

Was going to suggest dumping the MP59s for MP64s and moving to soft-stepped X flex c-tapers. But the whole common sense instruction thing works too, if you're into that, bro.

Soft stepped x-flex c-tapers sound interesting! But if I get new sticks, I'm going blades.

Not impressed.Β  That spot is, what ... the size of a half dollar?Β  Quarter at best?Β  Puh-leeze.Β  Get it down to a dime and then we can talk.

(Seriously though, I have to say that I admire that you can seemingly figure stuff out and fix it so quickly.Β  Well done.)

P.S.Β  Was reading TST last night and my wife looked over my shoulder at one of your posts and said "What's a Goat Humper?"

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Not impressed.Β  That spot is, what ... the size of a half dollar?Β  Quarter at best?Β  Puh-leeze.Β  Get it down to a dime and then we can talk.

(Seriously though, I have to say that I admire that you can seemingly figure stuff out and fix it so quickly.Β  Well done.)

P.S.Β  Was reading TST last night and my wife looked over my shoulder at one of your posts and said "What's a Goat Humper?"

LOL @ the Goat Humper comment... Did you tell the wife I'm the 'dude' you met on here and we play 'golf'? LOL Β She is never going to let you go out and play again! Hhahaha (Sorry I'm crying over here laughing...)

Thanks for the comment about being able to figure stuff out and fix it... Being 100% transparent, I'm shocked it was as simple as bending my knees more at address to eliminate that nasty heel action (shank). Β I blame losing knee flex on a guy who is on theΒ 'No Bogeys' golf team, in the men's league I play in.

He is an ex-baseball player and his stance looks like Craig Counsell (ok - not that bad)... And he hits the ball a mile. Β I think I watched him crush the ball and started admiring how he could hit it the way he did with that stance... I attribute that to me slowing losing flex over time??

• Administrator

Shawn, just watch, the weight's still back in the heels quite a bit. Possibly even more in these. Bend your knees outward more towards your toes, don't just put your ass farther back towards your heels.

Short version: more anterior ankle flexion.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Shawn, just watch, the weight's still back in the heels quite a bit. Possibly even more in these. Bend your knees outward more towards your toes, don't just put your ass farther back towards your heels.

Short version: more anterior ankle flexion.

So at address - a thought should be - slight knee bend - but get the weight slightly on my toes?

When you say 'anterior ankle flexion' - is that where your tibia is on an outward angle - kind of like in Grant's face photo below at address? Β I drew red lines to highlight the flex found in his address - and the lead left leg - you can clearly see he has that outward angle of the tibia.

• Administrator

So at address - a thought should be - slight knee bend - but get the weight slightly on my toes?

Yes, weight more towards the toes. It'll feel like it's ON your toes at first, perhaps, but that's because you're so used to it being back in your heels.

Originally Posted byΒ Beachcomber

When you say 'anterior ankle flexion' - is that where your tibia is on an outward angle - kind of like in Grant's face photo below at address? Β I drew red lines to highlight the flex found in his address - and the lead left leg - you can clearly see he has that outward angle of the tibia.

No. Anterior is your front. Posterior is your back. Bend your ankles forward more. Towards the golf ball and the front of your body. It gets your kneecaps farther out over your feet. You bent your knees more but did so by squatting your butt back and down a bit rather than bending forward from the ankles.

I don't like to call it dorsiflexion but that's what it is, so here:

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Got it! Β Thanks for the clarification and photo Erik. Β Makes sense now. Β I'll see if I can work on this and get the proper knee / ankle bends.

James did an Evolvr video for me... I went to the range. Β Good things happened. Β I also played a round with my Father this past weekend, and shot a 72 on a par 70. Β Bogeyed the last freaking hole from 135 out in the center of the fairway. Β And missed a lot of makeable birdies. Β Ugggh.

PS... I'm not posting another swing in this thread until I shoot par or better.

• Administrator

PS... I'm not posting another swing in this thread until I shoot par or better.

So... you want me to lock it then?

I attended an Aimpoint clinic in September, maybe it was August?? I can't recall the exact date... Β And I learned how to read greens, which gave me a big confidence boost. Β But I know that I've had some mechanical flaws with my putting stroke. Β One where my left elbow would 'chicken wing' - especially on longer putts.

My stroke was getting so bad, that on longer putts - say 30' or more... I'd tend to miss hit the putt so bad that the ball would orbit 8 to 10 inches off the putting surface (descending blow) as soon as I would hit it... And it would lose a ton of energy and come up 5' or more short of the hole.

Well, I've continued to work and work on my putting stroke, trying to find a mechanical setup that felt comfortable, and game. Β Unfortunately, I keep falling mercifully back into my old chicken wing stroke. Β But this past weekend, I went to Youtube, and was looking at an older Josh Zander putting setup video. Β I wanted to share that here, as this is a drill/setup video I'm using to improve my putting stroke.

One thing I've noticed is that this setup is causing me to grip the putter lower than normal... And the putter feels too long - and too light. Β I'll film my putting stroke soon to see how well I'm replicating this setup.

As promised, here is a DTL video of my revised putting stroke. Β Still work in progress... But it feels better than what I was using.

I've noticed since I gripped down that extra inch on the grip, the quality of the roll is better... But now I feel like I need to add additional weight to my putter.

Face On

• Administrator

A bit more flex from the knees and hips, and a bit less in your neck, and you're there.

Originally Posted by iacas

A bit more flex from the knees and hips, and a bit less in your neck, and you're there.

Good stuff. Β Thanks for the sanity check and comment.

Increasing 2nd accumulator......... BOOOOOOOM. Β I can't wait to play tomorrow to see if what I was working on at the range tonight translates to the course.