IGNORED

Chevron World Challenge 2011 Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4523 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by makaveli

No man, is not a conspiracy! :D I looked at ZJ putt for birdie at the 18 and he didn't seem to put a lot of effort in holing it... imho

On the other side Tiger holed his birdie which was excellent!

I don't know what you're thinking.

Completely ridiculous and an insult to Johnson

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by shades9323

Do you really think Johnson threw away $550,000 just so Tiger could win because he needed one? Nobody is going to do that.

But perhaps, as part of the deal, he was given a couple of million dollars! ;-)

• Upvote 1

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Yeah, I know just what you meant. Except I feared Zach would make and Tiger would have more than a tap-in (i.e. like the first playoff hole, not the 72nd) and miss.

I was texting my dad for a while during the last round, and I was saying the same thing. My dad was like "no no no, Tiger's is basically a tap in, no way Johnson makes his," but I kept trying to remind his Tiger was actually in a more advantageous situation last year.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

ZJ has too much integrity for something like that. Not to mention he wouldn't get the recognition for taking out Woods on a Sunday.  Not too many can say that.

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

But perhaps, as part of the deal, he was given a couple of million dollars! ;-)

Sure guys, you can all think it's is ridiculous, I really don't care, that was the feeling I had watching at ZJ birdie putt and also his reaction to Tiger's birdie! ;)

Sure guys, you can all think it's is ridiculous, I really don't care, that was the feeling I had watching at ZJ birdie putt and also his reaction to Tiger's birdie! ;)

I don't think it's ridiculous, sporting events are fixed all over the world all of the time. ZJ did look rather nonchalant about proceedings on the 18th green laughing and joking with his caddie. And that final birdie putt was rather weak and way left...

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Anyone who's played in the last few decade has a well-practiced "losing to Tiger" face. It's like riding a bicycle, you don't forget how even if you haven't used it in a couple years.

Congrats to Tiger. Good to see him hold on. As others have said, he's still got some things to improve before he can be "back," but getting the monkey off his back and moving the digits in the career W count is a big step. It's one less thing to worry about over the "off-season" (not that golf has much of one...).

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Originally Posted by iacas

To the claims of "forum policing," we plead guilty and are given the lesser charge of "moderating." But guess what? We're the judge, too. So the sentence is: nothing, and this will be immediately expunged from the record. :-P

Franky, as Shorty pointed out, all you ever want to talk about is Tiger. You routinely create new threads to talk about Tiger. You claim that your thread was about 2012 and moving forward, but it was not. Your entire first post talked about Tiger's win today, not the future or what it may or may not mean. Only later in the thread did you even say the word "2012" and that was in reference to Westwood and Rory joining the PGA Tour. So no, your thread was not about Tiger moving forward in 2012. It was about his win at Chevron, in "dramatic fashion," and so it was merged. Typically, players don't get a separate thread for their "win" when that's the topic.

If someone wants to start a thread about what this win means for Tiger going forward, be my guest... so long as it doesn't already exist somewhere.

Originally Posted by Acropo

It was a fascinating final two rounds and more engaging than the Nedbank Challenge, tbh (after G-Mac's challenge faded) - the excitement of that was all on Saturday and Lee's fantastic 62.

It was a good win by Tiger, no doubt about it - not least because he actually came back from a deficit after R3, having lost a 3-stroke lead. When did we last see that? Kudos to Johnson - he played very well. Also to Paul Casey to climb back from dead last and umpteen shots behind to finish solo third.

One thing I am pzzled about, though. How on earth did winning this event lead to a 30-place leap in the OGWR? And not as if from 420th to 390th, say, but within the Top 50...

Strange, and thinking about it gives me a headache...

As I said before, me on the other side think that Couples has been pretty lucky Tiger (sort of) found his game the week before the Pres Cup... a 2011 PGA Champ Tiger playing the Pres Cup would not have been so entertaining to see imho

But what has this to do with my post?!?

Originally Posted by jamo

I was texting my dad for a while during the last round, and I was saying the same thing. My dad was like "no no no, Tiger's is basically a tap in, no way Johnson makes his," but I kept trying to remind his Tiger was actually in a more advantageous situation last year.

Originally Posted by michaeljames92

Lets not blow smoke up his arse just yet, He still failed to hit his driver on the fairway. I like watching Tiger play well as much as the next guy, but how is he going to go on courses where you can't just hit irons off the tee to maximise your scoring potential? Maybe he might change his game plan by hitting a lot more irons/3 woods off the tee and giving himself a chance from the fairway, albeit a bit further back than most guys. I mean he can still hit his 2 iron like 250-260 yards right?

Originally Posted by Kieran123

I don't know what you're thinking.

Completely ridiculous and an insult to Johnson

That is ridiculous,Zach sunk a huge putt on 16 to take a 1 up lead.Why would he throw a match,honestly even talking about it is stupid.Zack's reaction was more like i knew he was going to sink it and i gave it my best shot. Great match on the final day and great way to end the season.By the way Zach has only two wins in the past 3 years,i really think he gave it his all and wanted another win in his resume.

• Administrator

Zach's response was, to me, "Yup, kinda figured that'd go in. I gave it all I had and he got the better of me."

I still think anyone saying anything about Zach Johnson trying to lose on purpose is being far more insulting than they think.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Part of me thinks people making a big deal about WHO wins, is really misplaced.  I mean, a true golf fan just likes to see good golf.  Watching Rory at the US Open was amazing mostly because his play was simply extraordinary, drive after drive, green after green, putt after putt, he made it look like video game golf.  The second piece, and the piece that I think drives Tiger mania is, when one person can produce that play over and over.

Watching Schwarzel torch the back 9 at Augusta, Keegan Bradley cooly bring home the PGA...they're all great one-time events.  When one guy puts out a repeat performance, there's just something additional about it.  Real golf fans know - well, maybe can just imagine, maybe truly empathize, if not 'know' - how.hard.this.game.is.  I've said it elsewhere on here, what made "The Era of Tiger, Part One" so amazing...nearly unfathomable...was how he truly competed for the win - quite literally - every time out.  To win, over and over, sometimes with robotic precision, sometimes with determined grinding and miraculous shots, is different than when any other player out there wins.  If the greater population of the world realized, that only makes Tiger a great golfer, with a great golfing mind, and great golfing determination, and not an incredible human being, maybe things play out differently...  Sure, I always thought Tiger seemed cool, still do (call me the forgiving type), but I take all my role models - of any type - with a grain of salt.  I digress...

I watch golf in the hopes of seeing the highest level of play from anyone.  Profesional golf is for a viewer's entertainment.  There's no global implications on world peace here.  I hope players like Rory, or Bradley, or Donald, or anyone else, can reach that level and provide the best entertainment.  However, the fact is, hoping those guys do it, is just hope, fiction, a dream.  Tiger's already done it, so we know that ability exists within him.  That's what sets "rooting for Tiger" apart, one crucial word that comes after "holy cow, he drained it!" or "man, he STUCK that approach!," and that word is "again."

I'm an 8-9 handicap, and I'll card a low round and realize, if I want to get to a 3, 4 or 5-ish, I have to card a low round again to really move my index, and that "again" doesn't happen much for me.  How often do you see a guy on tour drop a Thu or Fri round of 66, but then not get another low round?  It's tough to go low again.  How often do you see a guy right in the mix for a tourney or two, then fall off the radar the rest of the season?  It's really hard to compete again.  How many times does a guy grab a win, seemingly easily, then he doesn't win again that year, or even a few years?  It's REALLY hard to win again.

Tiger does "again," again and again.  That's amazing, and I want to see an era like that.  Again.

• Upvote 2

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

Originally Posted by iacas

I still think anyone saying anything about Zach Johnson trying to lose on purpose is being far more insulting than they think.

Just to clarify, I was having a bit of fun. I don't think anybody in their right mind thinks Zach allowed Tiger to win. You just have to see Zach's reaction to the missed putt on 17 to know he wanted to win just as much as Tiger.

Are you saying that makavelli is not in his/her right mind?  I

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

Just to clarify, I was having a bit of fun. I don't think anybody in their right mind thinks Zach allowed Tiger to win. You just have to see Zach's reaction to the missed putt on 17 to know he wanted to win just as much as Tiger.

Multiquotes rock!!

Good win for Tiger. Zach Johnson did okay, but the rest of field? Chokers!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by shades9323

Are you saying that makavelli is not in his/her right mind?

I don't think makaveli is 100% serious with his accusations.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Multiquotes rock!!

Good win for Tiger. Zach Johnson did okay, but the rest of field? Chokers!!

Well the way Casey bounced back after a 79 was just amazing.I guess we can say that after event ,there will always be guys that cool off and fall out of contention quickly.It is just easier to say because it was a 18 man field. Conditions were very very tough with the winds swirling so i guess it is understandable and easy to see why guys were struggling.

why was tiger making such exagerated cut practice swings?  it seemed like 95% of his shots he was trying to cut.  does he think this is better?  is this a new thing sean has him doing?

Colin P.

Originally Posted by colin007

why was tiger making such exagerated cut practice swings?  it seemed like 95% of his shots he was trying to cut.  does he think this is better?  is this a new thing sean has him doing?

Effort to straighten out the path.  Tiger tends to stay closed for too long on the downswing, path too far out to the right.  This new feel helps things and at least give him a pattern and takes out the big miss left which he fears.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 4523 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!