IGNORED

Chevron World Challenge 2011 Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4493 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by deasy55

He's only played 2 holes and he's level par for them....

I was going to say the same thing!!

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

he's even -1 now...

His chipping really saving him. Brilliant chip to save par on the 3th and a great chip in on the 4th for birdie.

But off the tee and his approaches are all over the place. He's in trouble again with his tee shot on the 5th.

Woods is struggling more than I thought today. He's really going to have to grind out the W this weekend.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Tiger bogeying 3 out of the 5 par 5's on the day. From what I saw from watching the limited NBC coverage (do not have the golf channel) his driver seemed a bit out of whack. I just think that when Tiger's successful, he's at least -3 for the par 5's on the day.

l Bag l TaylorMade Stand Bag

l Driver l TaylorMade '07 Burner 9.5* l 3-Wood l Titleist 910F 15* (D1 shaft setting)

l Hybrids l TaylorMade '07 Burner 19* : TaylorMade '10 Rescue 22*

l Irons l TaylorMade r7 5-PW l Wedges l Titleist Bob Vokey 52* 56* 60*

l Putter l Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34" l Balls l TaylorMade Penta TP

I looked it up there and saw that Gmac got 50 points last year for winning it. A Major gives you 100...half the points of a major for a field of 18 event which is basically a bit of fun?

Not sure if it was addressed elsewhere, but the projected points sheet that I got sent shows the winner getting 44 points.  It is from the OWGR, but I am not sure if it is accurate as it has 18th getting 3.52 points (and 47th getting 1.24).

What do you think the cut would have been had it been a full field event?  My guess is 145 (11 of 18 guys) or 146 (12 of 18).  This means that Casey (147), Haas (147) and Laird (151), who are in the top 11 after the 3rd round, could have a top 10 (or better) finish and help their world ranking when they likely would have been packing their bags in a regular event.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Just got the corrected points...seems like a capping system is in place for last place in small field events.  In terms of absolute points, the difference between 18th and 17th is bigger than 6th and 7th, so Keegan has something to shoot for.

PGA Tour

Chevron

Rating

(251)

1st

2nd

3rd

4th

5th

6th

7th

8th

9th

10th

11th

12th

13th

14th

15th

16th

17th

18th

44 points for winning and guaranteed points for showing up to a silly season event is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. Why should you win points for coming dead last? That doesn't even happen at a major

Edit: If Tiger wins he will jump from 52nd to about 20th. A 32 place jump for winning his own silly season event

44 points for winning and guaranteed points for showing up to a silly season event is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. Why should you win points for coming dead last? That doesn't even happen at a major

Edit: If Tiger wins he will jump from 52nd to about 20th. A 32 place jump for winning his own silly season event

It's not dead last, it's 18th! ;-)

Looking like he's in control, going to cruise to a victory, then giving a bunch of strokes back somewhere (usually the third round), is classic Tiger.  At least, it's classic Tiger since the win at Torrey in 2008.  I guess it's time to see if Tiger can still intimidate.  If it's possible, Z Johnson is a good candidate.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by jamo

I don't disagree, but it still counts for something. Playing well in a tournament is still playing well in a tournament. It might not be up to the threshold of the Masters or even a Fall Series event, but it's still something to draw on, especially for a guy who has had almost nothing to build confidence from over the last two years. The monkey is still on his back, but maybe now it's a chimp instead of a gorilla (and yes, I realize neither of those are monkeys, but the analogy fits nicely).

And FWIW, I thought his swing looked really good.

I love your knowledge of primates

Taylormade RBZ 10.5 driver, Taylormade Burner 2.0 15 deg 3 wood, Mizuno JPX800 19deg hybrid, Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-PW, Titleist Vokey 52,56,60 rusty wedges, Odyssey White Ice #7 360gm tour weight, Bridgestone B330S

Originally Posted by k-troop

Looking like he's in control, going to cruise to a victory, then giving a bunch of strokes back somewhere (usually the third round), is classic Tiger.  At least, it's classic Tiger since the win at Torrey in 2008.  I guess it's time to see if Tiger can still intimidate.  If it's possible, Z Johnson is a good candidate.

Most of his mistakes seem to be due to poor course management and the odd slip up around the green. There really was no need to go for the 16th green in two yesterday. It was too risky and not necessary when you are leading the tournament, as he was at that stage. It's good to be aggressive, but sometimes he's too aggressive for my liking. And how often does he knock 3-4 footers 3-4 feet passed the hole? Has he been watching Mikelson?! ;-) I'd like to see him play more break on the knee tremblers.

I agree with your point, but you do get points for coming in last at the Match Play Championship also.  I think the OWGR gets it mostly right, but have certainly had issues with them in the past http://www.mattelston.com/2011/04/27/world-golf-rankings-mathematically-flawed/ and http://www.mattelston.com/2011/05/28/luke-donald-world-golf-1-mathematically-correct-version/

Everyone who makes the cut gets point at majors.  Not positive where they cut things off at the WGC events, but it goes pretty far down.  I think they should have some sort of ~imaginary cut at WGC and these limited field events as well.  I am guessing a bit, but I think they don't want to penalize a top player for showing up at these things, even if they play poorly, but all the other tournaments do when you miss a cut, so why not these?

I'll have to check a bit more into it, but I think the problem with the way they award the points is that they don't do much to factor in size of field and instead look more at world rankings and home tour rankings.  Put another way, 1 Webb Simpson adds as much (or more) to the field strength than 3 Tiger Woods (given current world rankings).

Once you get past the top echelon, there is often not really a big difference between a guy ranked say 100 and 500 in the world.

Originally Posted by iacas

I hope he wins. It's my last chance to win the bet I made.

Then again, the Presidents Cup is also a "PGA Tour sanctioned event." ;-)

Who was that bet with again? I remember the thread where you made it haha.

Zach Johnson is a tough competitor. Tiger has his hands full. Will need to do something positive to win. I don't think Johnson will fold. The Tiger intimidation factor just isn't there anymore.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Note: This thread is 4493 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!