IGNORED

Golf Downswing Sequencing

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3346 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So, I've been doing this drill for what seems like forever, yet after 8 months, I'm still doing it. In fact tonight at the range, and yes, I'm getting better at it...I hit some really nice shots. My bad shots seem to be decreasing as I get more proficient at this drill, I notice that everything in my swing has improved, ball contact % is much higher than even 1 month ago, and needless to say, my accuracy and distance has improved, as I always hit to a target.

Also, when my swing goes south, this drill gets me back on track, and when you ask someone that hits longer than you do, as per this drill, you won't need to ask..you can see in your mind's eye, why they hit farther..well, at least I can, doing it is another story... I guess what I'm saying in a round about way is, this is a great drill for anyone.

Did you start doing this drill based off this video or have you been to a 5SK instructor? I am trying to decide the best way to implement the 5SK system but have no instructors close.

• Administrator
Did you start doing this drill based off this video or have you been to a 5SK instructor? I am trying to decide the best way to implement the 5SK system but have no instructors close.

There's basically two choices:

1. Post a "My Swing" thread.
  2. Join evolvr .

@Hammer 4 has worked with @mvmac in SoCal.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There's basically two choices:

Post a "My Swing" thread.

Join evolvr.

@Hammer 4 has worked with @mvmac in SoCal.

Thanks...I need to post a swing as soon as the weather breaks.  I'm heading to palm Springs the first week in April which is not too far from mvmac...hmmmm

Thanks...I need to post a swing as soon as the weather breaks.  I'm heading to palm Springs the first week in April which is not too far from mvmac...hmmmm

I can meet you in Long Beach which is a little closer to Palm Springs.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I really haven't been able to do much outdoor practice recently but what I'm understanding from the video in the OP of this thread, @mvmac , is that our first move in the downswing with our hips is to move them forward laterally and keeping then square temporarily rather than rotationally. Then as we continue the downswing, once our hips are forward and we have our weight forward, then we rotate our hips to have them open at impact. Am I understanding this correctly?

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I really haven't been able to do much outdoor practice recently but what I'm understanding from the video in the OP of this thread, @mvmac, is that our first move in the downswing with our hips is to move them forward laterally and keeping then square temporarily rather than rotationally. Then as we continue the downswing, once our hips are forward and we have our weight forward, then we rotate our hips to have them open at impact.

Am I understanding this correctly?

They rotate as they transfer forward. "Forward along the arc".

Mike McLoughlin

Great thread. I just watched these videos again (along with some of the links to other videos) while starting and stopping a video of my swing shot tonight. This really helped identify some flaws I wasn't aware of - most notably that my left shoulder is rotating up too soon and I'm losing a bit of posture.

Jon

Mike, What do you mean by flexion and extension? These sound like anatomical term that I have never been able to get straight.

At address we are flexed forward somewhat and during the backswing we "stretch" our trail side and release some of our forward flexion (your avatar pic). Then on the downswing you "regain flexion", meaning you go back into your forward bend.

Golfer stretching his right hip on the backswing,

then going back to his forward bend (also transferring his weight forward as he rotates) and extending again on the followthrough.

Video that goes into more detail. Can skip to 5:00 to see James illustrate what I'm referring to.

Mike McLoughlin

They rotate as they transfer forward. "Forward along the arc".

Cool, thanks. I think I understand but to make sure I think I'm going to record a couple of videos and put it in My Swing Thread of my hips on the downswing.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

• Administrator

Thanks Mike that really helped. I wish @james_hirshfield could have stayed in Orlando it would have been good to have someone local.

Go see Chuck Waltz. http://5sk.com/index.php/site/find

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3346 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!