IGNORED

My Students (before and now)

cbrian
Note: This thread is 4467 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think you guys need to let Brian deal with his own videos and let him decide what he is/isn't allowed to post.

Thanks for the videos Brian, they are really interesting. Keep them coming, always interested in seeing swings evolve and don't listen to the killjoys above we're not all like that here!

Driver: :tmade: R1 S 10 degree Wood: :ping: G20 3W Hybrid: :nike:Covert Pro 3H
Irons: :tmade: Rocketbladez Tour 4i-AW KBS S SW: :cleveland: CG15 54 degree
LW: :cleveland: CG15 58 degree Putter: :tmade: Corza Ghost Ball: :tmade: Penta

Originally Posted by johnthejoiner

The face on video of Tyler is brilliant, its hard to believe its the same guy. When dramatically improving his hip turn to eliminate the massive hip stall, did you find that it automatically got rid of his casting and flipping

When we started changing sequencing and started getting some hip slide, thats when things started clicking. But we still had an issue with the arms getting left behind and with him throwing a bit. A really good drill that got it looking nice and shiny was gloves in the armpits and feeling the left shoulder stay down while #1 and #4 release.

Kid worked hard for those changes though.

Originally Posted by k14

I think you guys need to let Brian deal with his own videos and let him decide what he is/isn't allowed to post.

Thanks for the videos Brian, they are really interesting. Keep them coming, always interested in seeing swings evolve and don't listen to the killjoys above we're not all like that here!

Thanks. Will do.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

And again, REALLY nice changes!!

Something people may or may not have noticed, but can AID and SPEED UP the process of the pieces that have been correctly worked on.....

.... hinge pin PP#2 and PP#3 at P1....

very nice stuff! really enjoying the progress you are making with your students! carry on! lol

James Hirshfield

Tour Professional Golf Coach

@hirshfield <-- Follow me on Twitter!

james@thegolfevolution.com

UK 07939-902455

USA (814) 464-3446

Thanks for sharing Brian, great stuff.

Sharing information with students is pretty normal for the stable axis community, it's how we and the students continue to learn.  And as Brian said his students are made aware that the videos are public and if they have an issue, he'll make them private.  Never thought that he gave off any different impressions otherwise.  Wasn't like he started this thread without checking with us first, give us a little credit We know the guy, he's a young dude that just started and with his knowledge is already in the top 5% of instructors.  We're lucky he's spending his valuable time sharing this kind of information.  Information, if we we're smart, wouldn't be making public for free.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

The face on video of Tyler is brilliant, its hard to believe its the same guy. When dramatically improving his hip turn to eliminate the massive hip stall, did you find that it automatically got rid of his casting and flipping

Agree...makes me want to find out where in GA you teach :-p

In my Bag (work in progress):

Driver: TaylorMade 10.5* R11, Regular Shaft
3W: TaylorMade Burner 15*

3Hy: Nike SQ Sumo Hybrid
Irons: 2005 TaylorMade Rac OS, 4-AW

Wedge: Cleveland CG14 56*, old dingy 64* wedge that I have no business using

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour Putter or a Cleveland Classic Anser-Style

Kicks: Footjoy E-Comforts

Ball: Used Titleist DT Solos.

I completely agree...he has a great swing.  How long did it take to get where he's at now (I know you had mentioned that you met him in the summer)?  Kids of that age seem to pick up new things so quickly - just curious how long before you started to see major improvement.  I love seeing videos of students that make huge improvements.  I am a BIG proponent of working on what you learn from the pro...if you don't as you are clearly just wasting your time (and theirs for that matter) if you aren't.  There are way too many people that think that they can take a new swing and implement it immediately and get scared as soon as things don't go as planned.  Thanks for the vids Brian - keep them coming.

I am not a teacher so I can only assume this is what you guys live for - seeing students make ridiculous changes and improvements.  I see a golf pro (usually only the winter to work on stuff for the summer) and I recently went back to his winter school here and had a lesson.  I have made some good changes since the last time we had met and you could tell that he was impressed and honestly so was I.  It's great when things you are working on start to take form and you see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Can't wait for the next one.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Thanks guys. I'll post a new one in a day or two.

Originally Posted by Quinn07

I completely agree...he has a great swing.  How long did it take to get where he's at now (I know you had mentioned that you met him in the summer)?  Kids of that age seem to pick up new things so quickly - just curious how long before you started to see major improvement.  I love seeing videos of students that make huge improvements.  I am a BIG proponent of working on what you learn from the pro...if you don't as you are clearly just wasting your time (and theirs for that matter) if you aren't.  There are way too many people that think that they can take a new swing and implement it immediately and get scared as soon as things don't go as planned.  Thanks for the vids Brian - keep them coming.

I am not a teacher so I can only assume this is what you guys live for - seeing students make ridiculous changes and improvements.  I see a golf pro (usually only the winter to work on stuff for the summer) and I recently went back to his winter school here and had a lesson.  I have made some good changes since the last time we had met and you could tell that he was impressed and honestly so was I.  It's great when things you are working on start to take form and you see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Can't wait for the next one.

At first we weren't working that often and things moved kind of slow. We talked about low point control and did some chipping drills (for impact) first, so swing wasn't dramatically different, but he started making consistent contact because he knew the goal on the most basic level. Then we started working more frequently and the changes started getting dramatic. I'd say in a month and half to two months he basically became a new golfer (technically there is probably 3-4 months between those videos). And that isn't including learning components for working the ball and for shortgame trajectories.

Like I said, he put in major work this summer. I am extremely impressed with him.

Time for a new one: This one will be interesting I think. This is Henry and he is a really good player. He has a pretty unique swing, but really has the ability to put the club where it needs to be when it counts. However, there were things that were holding him back.

The after was taken the other day on the range. We had a couple pieces looking a little better than this before the lack of daylight kind of ruined our usual lesson time. However, I still think hes made big strides in a short period of time considering how long he was playing with that swing.

As for the changes, I'm going to tell you the results and let you pick out the changes that got those results. The two biggest results have been low point control and distance. However, there is another really good one. Look at his aim line in the before DTL and the ball flight.

Interesting dtl, did you get him to load #4 better by feeling more tilt?

Mike McLoughlin

Feeling more extension (one of the pieces that has reverted slightly) and left arm feeling like its working to the bill of his cap. Then once the left arm was working better we had to work on feeling like his backswing took way too long.

I got some clips that look prettier, but I don't care... part of the side issue is getting him to like HIS swing.

• 2 weeks later...

New video. We have been working for a little while now and hes come a really long way. His golf season is approaching and I think his scoring average is about to drop by a ton from last year.

Anyways, he kind of overdid a good thing and started getting the shoulders turning too steep on the BS (watch his head). So he was feeling like his left shoulder didn't work down at all on the BS and then keeping inclination constant after p4. Still have a little work to do, but certainly looking better.

• 2 weeks later...

Have two updates today. Both have been on my youtube for a couple days... just getting around to posting them.

First is Trev. We were just working on polishing up upper CoG stuff. If you watched the other you saw how he dipped down and forward on the backswing. We got rid of that and then we just had to make sure it wasn't going forward on the DS either. Really important for the driver. I still need to do a B&A; from when we first started working to now... He really has come a long way. Anyways, here it is

And then here is my newest student. This is our first lesson... if you don't count the 4 minutes of our original lesson that ended up getting rained out. All I told him was you need to stand closer to the ball (he was really really far away) and then the rains came.

This is an interesting one. I'm really, really against the idea of setup components being "fundamentals." However, setup is an extremely important piece of the puzzle, and it played a big role in this instance. For one, like I said, he was standing way too far away. Then, he was doing a really good job of what someone had told him (some of you might even think his original setup was good), but it just wasn't putting him in a good position to hit a ball.. thats on the ground at least. His neck tilt was super high, so he had to strain to see the golf ball. In fact, if you pay attention you will see it change mid swing. His shoulders were pulled back (trying to achieve a flat back), but that pulled his arms in and he couldn't get his arms extended comfortably at address.

Then we got into swing stuff. The number one issue was that his shoulders turned too flat. Again, if you pay attention you will see shoulder tilt change mid swing. If the shoulders aren't working on the right pitch the arms are forced to work independently (flat shoulders, steep arms). After that we worked on his compensation of early extending. If you look at the right elbow in the DS (around p6) you will see how much more room the right elbow has.

I wish I would have gotten some of the last swings he took because he started hitting it extremely well, but we just ran out of light. He actually surprised himself a few times and turned around and just smiled... I don't think he knew what to say. Anyways, still have a bunch of stuff to smooth out, but now he fulfills the real first "fundamental."

Cool thread I look forward to learning more!  By the way regarding ownership of the video's the maker has ownership unless he plans to put them in the stream of commerce. And then there's the fair use exceptions.

My Bag: Nike Vapor X
Driver: Diablo Octane Tour Project 7.0  X-Stiff
Woods: Callaway RAZR 3 wood Adilla NVS 65 g X-Stiff
Hybrids: Taylor Made Burner Superlaunch 3-18*, 4-21*, UST Mamiya Proforce V2 75
Irons: Maltby TE Forged 5-PW TrueTemper X-300
Wedges: Maltby Tricept 52*/6, 56*/10; 60*/6 TrueTemper S-400
Putter: Yes! Emma 37" Belly Putter 
Ball: NXT Tour

Originally Posted by james_hirshfield

Fixing PP4 and #3 will assist in getting the tilts you are looking for.

For MK right?

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 4467 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!