IGNORED

Used Golf Balls................................

Note: This thread is 4673 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Has anyone explored this market?

I've never considered this until a few golf buddies turned me onto it  There are multiple respectable companies who sell 'graded' used balls on the web.  After seeing the condition of what they bought,  I had to try it myself and I'm not sure that I'll ever buy new balls again unless caught in a pinch.....

This is just one example of a used ball seller.....

http://www.golfballpauls.com/index.html

The people I know all buy from him, I guess, because he's local.  Some prefer to buy online and have them shipped, I went to the store to check out the selection and I have to admit I was very impressed.   I bought 50 Nike Tour One golf balls graded AA for $29.99.  they are all 'nearly new' condition.  IMO...many will pass for brand new....a couple had pen markings or a tiny scratch...that's about it.  They also sell AAA which is brand new condition.....

One of my co-workers belongs to a high$$$ country club, and I asked him if he heard about the above......I was almost floored when he said he bought all his ProV1s from the above seller...LOL   You can buy 50 AA rated ProV1's for $50.  AAA are $24.95/dozen...and these are brand new condition.  Hit once...and lost....one golfers loss is your gain?!  hahaha

I thought I would mention this because I've seen a ton of "best value" threads...... IMO....the best value is to buy used balls.

My 2 cents....

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I got tired of paying $45 a dozen a few years back so I started ordering from http://www.lostgolfballs.com reducing my price to $15 a dozen (second best quality). Now I've switched to a lower grade ball and reduced that further to $10 a dozen. Even taking into consideration that the used ball won't last quite as long as new ones I estimate I am saving about $200 a year on balls. Now if I can just find a good deal on bulk golf gloves...

Also using websites such as http://www.golfnow.com to save on greens fees occasionally. Trying to keep the expenditures on golf at a reasonable level while still playing just about as much as I would like.

http://thesandtrap.com/search.php?search=used+golf+balls

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This to me is a no brainer.  It's not so much that I think getting "used" balls is smart so much as not paying full retail.  There are many ways for avoiding paying full retail, but buying used/refurbished is certainly the most consistent way of doing it.  If you play a lot of golf and desire to play with a particular ball, then this is a good way of doing it.  The only problem with this I see is that buying in large quantities locks you into playing with that ball if you decide later on you want to try another ball.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

There is no way that I would use a refurbished ball, but you'd have to be crazy not to buy used balls in AAA condition.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

There is no way that I would use a refurbished ball, but you'd have to be crazy not to buy used balls in AAA condition.

Refurbished, no!  Recycled, absolutely!

Originally Posted by Shorty

curious, what is meant by a "refurbished" ball ?   Does this alter the performance ?  THx

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Refurbished balls are cleaned, then repainted and re-stamped to look like new.  You have no idea what the ball use to look like.

Recycled balls are simply cleaned, then graded and sorted.

Of all the refurbished balls I have seen, they can be convincing at first.  But dig your fingernail into one and it will become blatantly obvious.  Also, on the Titleist balls I've seen, ALL the stamping is done in black.  No color.

You are getting a more variable ball in exchange for you consistant access to them. The ones that have been hit once and lost will act like a new one. The ones that were hit once and ended up in the lake for 6 months might look the same but will perform slightly differently. Granted if you are a good enough golfer for the differences to affect your score, you are probably good enough to buy new balls since you are not losing a 6 pack a round.

Originally Posted by Chief Broom

This to me is a no brainer.  It's not so much that I think getting "used" balls is smart so much as not paying full retail.  There are many ways for avoiding paying full retail, but buying used/refurbished is certainly the most consistent way of doing it.  If you play a lot of golf and desire to play with a particular ball, then this is a good way of doing it.  The only problem with this I see is that buying in large quantities locks you into playing with that ball if you decide later on you want to try another ball.

Buying used golf balls = a waste of money.  Even on the best used balls the performance is not the same as new.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

• Administrator

Buying used golf balls = a waste of money.  Even on the best used balls the performance is not the same as new.

I use random balls - old ones, weird brands, etc. - when I'm out practicing or goofing around on the course. Why not?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

That's why I always check the expiration date so my balls are always fresh...

I have a major ball reclaimer down the street that I can get one hit wonders for 15 a dozen for Pro-Vs, B-330s, and Pentas.  It's a u-pick so I can handle the product before I buy and skip the logos.  These are the highest grade and I have had great results with their performance.

• Upvote 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5* | Rad Tour 18.5* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

Quote:

Spending more money than you need to would be defined as wasting money. I have seen no reports that indicate used golf balls perform significantly different than new balls. There isn't enough of a noticable difference for me to waste an extra $200 a year on balls. I certaintly could afford to spend the extra $200 but I prefer the money in my pocket not someone elses. Then again we need people like you to keep us supplied in used balls so golf on, golf on.

Originally Posted by Domenic

BuckeyeNut, Who is your picture of?

My ideal golf partner....for the 19th hole

What's in Paul's Bag:

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

That's why I always check the expiration date so my balls are always fresh...

Hahahaha......Niiiice!  Made me laugh...thanks

What's in Paul's Bag:

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

As soon as you hit a new ball once, it becomes a "used" ball.  How could you tell whether a new ball would perform any different?  Sure, if you pulled one out of a water hazard that had been under water for six months, it probably would have some weird characteristics, but a ball that has been in the woods for a short while (still has that shiny look) seems to play the same, at least to me.  I haven't bought a new ball in over 5 years.  The ones I find seem to do OK.

Note: This thread is 4673 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!