IGNORED

Which Driver Should I Go With?

Note: This thread is 6211 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi, currently I am looking for a new driver to play with. This is the 4 driver my budget permits. Taylormade R7 460, Taylormade R7 425, Titlest 905T and Cleveland HiBore. I am looking for one that enable the max forgiveness, one that has good feel and easy to hit. Or perhaps I should stay with my Taylormade r5 and reshaft to a regular flex. Thanks. Appreciated.
Handicap Index: 16.4
Driver: Taylormade Burner 9.5 Degree
Wood: Nike Sasquatch 2 , Honshin Wood
Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue Dual 22 Degree
Iron: Macgregor Mactech M685 (4-PW)Wedge: Honshin Professional Wedge 56 Degree , Adam Golf Tom Watson 2007 Wedge 60 DegreePutter: Honshin PutterBall: Taylormade TP/Red

I just bought a TM Superquad and haven't hit it yet. Prior to that I had the 425 which I didn't like. Prior to that..I had the original R7 Quad - regular flex shaft and loved it. It's what I've been hitting until this new club came in and in the event I don't like the Superquad, I'm going back to the old R7 and will get on with my life - haha.

Good luck!

In the Bag -

425 Stiff
Rapture 3W
Rescue 16 D X18 Irons 50 & 56 Putter ProV1

Ive tried the Hibore, and personally i dont think it is all that great. The R7 is a great driver. Because i havnt tried the titlest id go with the R7.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Hi, currently I am looking for a new driver to play with. This is the 4 driver my budget permits. Taylormade R7 460, Taylormade R7 425, Titlest 905T and Cleveland HiBore. I am looking for one that enable the max forgiveness, one that has good feel and easy to hit. Or perhaps I should stay with my Taylormade r5 and reshaft to a regular flex. Thanks. Appreciated.

If you're a buget golfer like me too--look in the pre-owned clubs section. If you get lucky, you can find a barely-used driver marked down a third or more. I myself got a Cobra F/speed driver for only $150 that way, when they're twice as much new.

And, if you can afford the R7, you can afford almost any club, except for maybe the FT-5.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Out of those choices and if money wasn't a factor I'd go with the R7 460 but I haven't hit the Titleist.

However, I would never buy a companies latest driver. The way they produce new drivers it would be a poor investment IMO. I'd look to get whatever is the previous model on closeout. I know Callaway just reduced the FT-3 to $199.99, Cobra Speed is $150, Cleveland Launcher Comp to either $199 or $149, Heck the orignal HiBore is already down to $150, LOL. Or get something used... I can't believe how many nice barely used drivers are available in our local used bin. Some idiot probably bought it brand new last year and bought a new one this year.

If you like your r5 then probably no reason to switch.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

If you're a buget golfer like me too--look in the pre-owned clubs section. If you get lucky, you can find a barely-used driver marked down a third or more. I myself got a Cobra F/speed driver for only $150 that way, when they're twice as much new.

That's good advice for anyone, and deserves repeating. If you look enough, you can find a steal. Like new R7 Irons for $499. My brother caled dibs before I could. He's older and beats me up. He got the brawn, and I got the brains, so I plan to psychologically demoralize, dominate, and defeat him on the course until he sells them to me...cheap.

Titleist drivers are relatively unforgiving. I have the 905R (the one with the 460 cc head). I constantly have to concentrate 100% in order to make a good swing to send the ball off on the correct flight. Sweetspot shots are rewarded; mishits are punished.

I also have the Cleveland Ti 460. You can probably score one for pretty cheap right now. This driver is pretty much the opposite of the 905R. Decent shots still go pretty straight and pretty far. Watch out when you flush it square on the sweet spot though... earplugs are recommended, and no, you didn't just break your driver's head.

Titleist 905R 460CC Driver Fujikura Stiff 8.5
Titleist PT15* 3 Wood Dynamic Gold S300
Titleist 980F 19* 5 Wood Titleist Regular
Miura Forged Baby Blades 3-PW NS Pro Stiff
Miura Forged 56* Sand WedgeTitleist Vokey 60* Lob WedgeTitleist Scotty Cameron Studio Design Newport 35"Nike One Platinum...

Your current R5 is fine. But if you must change then my vote goes to r7 460 or r7 425. Depends if you want the full blown 460cc or more workability with the 425cc. Both great clubs. I have been playing without a driver for the past 6 months and still the score is getting better month by month. I am waiting to get a new driver myself. And all the drivers you mentioned were good choices... Just picking the right shaft is the main issue...
Driver
909D2 9.5º w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

I sure enough would not rule out the Taylor Made R5 as a viable option. They are down to about $140 in these parts and are great drivers..

My $.02

R5 Dual 9.5
F50 16.5
R7 TP 3-PW
RAC Satin 52 and 56 deg
Vokey 59 deg Studio Newport 2 HX Tour 56

After much consideration and testing, I decided to go for Titleist 905T. When to the range to test and feel that it has give me better impact and feel. No regret changing to that club.
Handicap Index: 16.4
Driver: Taylormade Burner 9.5 Degree
Wood: Nike Sasquatch 2 , Honshin Wood
Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue Dual 22 Degree
Iron: Macgregor Mactech M685 (4-PW)Wedge: Honshin Professional Wedge 56 Degree , Adam Golf Tom Watson 2007 Wedge 60 DegreePutter: Honshin PutterBall: Taylormade TP/Red

reshaft the R5 or go for a Titleist off the trade in rack. Let someone else hit it 15 times and get half his money back and you get a steal.

In My Bag: This week
Driver: Nike square Sumo 10.5
4-Wood: Nike square Sumo 14.5
7 wood Cleveland launcher,
5 utility 19* clevelandIrons: 4-7 Titleist 690mb 8-pw Mizuno MP 33Wedges: Gauge Design GAS II 52* and 58* Putter: Scotty Cameron TE 10 2.5TP Mills or Cameron's or Bettinardi's. let me...

Im also in the process of getting a new set. The driver the pro and my club recommended was the Callaway TI-5 i think. It was either that or the 460. I think its the 460 cos its the Big Bertha. Massive head!!

Have you tried any of them? Go to a demo days close to you and try as many as you can. Only you will be able to decide whats right for you. Good luck.

I looked at the hibore for a while, but didn't like the offset and the draw bias. The R7 is probably one of the most popular drivers out there. Since you have wittled a huge ocean of choices down to 4, you can easily demo them at the range to see what you like. Good luck!

Yeah, a lot of pressure. Rise above it. Harness in the good energy, block out the bad. Harness energy, block bad.
Feel the flow, Happy. It's circular. It's Like a carousel. You get on the horse. It goes up, down and around. Circular. Circle. With the music,the flow. All good things.I...

i love my r580 9.5* w/ a fujikura vista tour series 60 stiff shaft but it's kind of an older club and you prbly want a newer model

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

I read a lot here and have two drivers I got slightly used with the intention of returning one... the R7 460 11.5 and the Callaway Big Bertha 460 HT (13.5) and I don't want to give either back. I was using a Taylor Madr R580 getting an average of 225 with some slices. The R7 was straight down the middle the first 6 shots on the range, at around 260-280. I could slice if I really killed it. The Callaway was higher, and dead straight, and feels really good.

Brought both to the course... short 330 yard par 4. The R7 hit dead straight 20 yards from the green. I'm not that good. Uphill 280 yard par 4. Callaway dead straight 10 yards from the green. Basically 260-270 uphill. The best I could do with the R580 was 50 yards out. I'm completely sold on the new tech.

I'm keeping both for a month or two because I can, and next step is to hit a little more aggressively and see what the result is. Both have 45 inch shafts, R7 looks better, Callaway face is wider, and I think you could hit the hosel and go 200 :)

Note: This thread is 6211 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!