IGNORED

How is your handwriting?

Note: This thread is 4525 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My handwriting is horrible some days I can't even read it.  It's gotten worse over the years since just about everything I write is on my computer except for signing my name.  I also find that on those rare occassions when I do have to write anything more than a signature I get writers cramp even with the Dr. Grip pens and pencils.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I found, it seems, that the general trend is mostly everyone has aesthetically poor, or illegible handwriting. I'm not sure if this is because there just isn't a chance to practice it anymore, or is it because of the habits that developed at an early age?

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

My handwriting is pretty bad.  I think the primary issue is my grip.  I have a strong grip with an over-lapping thumb and middle finger.  Consequently I seem to 'pull' alot of my words to the left.  I've tried gripping the pen/pencil lighter (like an egg), but while I can write faster this way, I find I have less control.  I'm able to write a little neater with smaller pencils, but I struggle with the full-size ones.  I have a couple of pens with training grips on them, but I usually takes those off when I'm actually taking notes for work (I don't want to get penalized).

I'll try and post some videos of my handwriting later so I can get some feedback ;-)

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

OK...here's the real post.

My handwriting is pretty bad.  The main issue is my brain moves faster than my pen, so I can't keep up with it.  Often I miss letters as I write, skipping vowels and squishing the words together.  I can type alot faster, upwards of 90-100wpm (really, this isn't just internet hype ;-)

I'd say computers and consequently a lack of practice has contributed mostly to the demise of people's handwriting skills.

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

Originally Posted by TheGeekGolfer

OK...here's the real post.

My handwriting is pretty bad.  The main issue is my brain moves faster than my pen, so I can't keep up with it.  Often I miss letters as I write, skipping vowels and squishing the words together.  I can type alot faster, upwards of 90-100wpm (really, this isn't just internet hype ;-)

I'd say computers and consequently a lack of practice has contributed mostly to the demise of people's handwriting skills.

I type an average of 90 words per minute on a regular basis, with the fastest so far being 112. I believe you don't worry ;-)

I agree wholeheartedly that technology definitely has the largest impact on diminishing penmanship

Taylormade RAC 58º

Unreadable by others.  I only scrible down things in meetings at work or when I'm taking notes on something while I'm on the phone.

Great choice in education Jamo.  We need more engineers.  A great profession if you have the mind for it.

Brian

I know a woman whose writing is very similar to yours, sometimes I cannot tell if she has typed or written by hand.

I hate writing by hand and generally when I do, I am in a hurry.  Thus, most of my handwriting is rather messy looking.  When I take care, I am told I have nice, clean writing.

Computers and other technology have definitely worsened my writing.  It is so much easier for me to type than to write by hand, and typing allows my hands to keep up with my brain (which my handwriting simply cannot do).  My signature resembles my sloppiness.

437ba52d.jpg

Always changing:

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5º

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19º & 21º

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48º, 54º, 62º

First round: February 2011

Originally Posted by Shorty

This is what anyone over about 70 would consider neat handwriting:

That is way too fancy everyday correspondence and more suited to a wedding invitation or something like that. Those long lines are unnecessary.

At one time before computers neat handwriting was a necessity.  'Penmanship' was a course taught in school   Practicing and turning in assignments was part of the course.  We were graded on the handwriting.

The reason for stressing writing was because of jobs that involved handwriting like bookkeeping and accounting.   With hand bombing balancing the books could be a lengthy chore if you couldn't read the numbers.  If you spotted any of the old texts on bookkeeping the script was a work of art.

My handwriting is very good in my opinion.  Not fancy at all but you can read it quite easily.

Righthanders normally slant the script to the right and lefthanders slant the script to the left.  We were even taught how to slant the book.

When I get a chance I will submit my sample of the old school type of handwriting.   It bugs me when I am filling out  a form and it requests   please print.

In addition handwriting changes can indicate some health changes.  Parkinson's patients start writing smaller and with more difficulty.  I would guess that the person who wrote the sample here is the flamboyant type.

I type all day at work - and even typing, I can not keep up with my brain ( ie. what I want to type )

I type around 120 words a minute and if I try and go too fast then I make mistakes.

The only time I really write is in cards for xmas/birthdays or when I need to fill out forms - but even those can be filled out online and printed out now.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

i have no idea how well or how fast i can type, all i know is that my handwritting is pretty bad. which is ashame because my mom's handwritting looks like it could be it's own font, in fact, she had her own calligraphy business out of her dorm room while in college at Seton Hall. She wrote cards for teachers, engagement notices, wedding invitations, etc for extra cash.

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Originally Posted by Gioguy21

i have no idea how well or how fast i can type, all i know is that my handwritting is pretty bad. which is ashame because my mom's handwritting looks like it could be it's own font, in fact, she had her own calligraphy business out of her dorm room while in college at Seton Hall. She wrote cards for teachers, engagement notices, wedding invitations, etc for extra cash.

That's actually a fantastic idea. I might want to look into that. I had no formal calligraphy practice but I used a little for scoreboards for golf tournaments. I might need that in a few months when I head off to college :)

Taylormade RAC 58º

The top pic is me writing quickly and not thinking at all about penmanship.  The bottom pic is an attempt to write nicely.  It's still quite bad!

IMAG0099.jpg

IMAG0098.jpg

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mdl

The top pic is me writing quickly and not thinking at all about penmanship.  The bottom pic is an attempt to write nicely.  It's still quite bad!

If it's practical, it's good enough for me! haha

Taylormade RAC 58º

There is an advantage to writing quickly even though it might not be as legible as one taking their time.

When you're writing an exam paper it can mean the difference in getting more marks simply because you can expand and answer more questions before time runs out.

I always used to envy those guys next to me scribbling madly away and finishing in time to review their paper.

Handwriting.jpg

Note: This thread is 4525 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!