IGNORED

Putters: Heavy or Light?

TourSpoon
Note: This thread is 4150 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I love a heavier putter, i took my Odyssey White Ice and added about 8 2" strips of lead tape to it. It really helped my tempo and feel.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hi Glock, thanks for sharing this information.  I went to the Golfworks site and was looking around.  Looks like these are pretty affordable and I'm definitely going to order some of these items.  But before I do, I was wondering if you could answer a few questions for me...

It doesn't look like Golfworks has all the tools needed to do the installation of the counterweight? I say this as the TourlockPro.com site shows that they have a putter optimization package for $79.99 that comes with:

a.) 1x TLP Grip Modifer (puts the hole in the butt end of the grip I assume??)

b.) 1x Opti-vibe Tool (this is the actual tool that places the weight into the shaft)

c.) 1x 12g TLP (I believe this is a weighted cap - which fills the hole in the butt end of the grip??)

d.) 1x Plastic cap (I believe this is just a plastic cap if you don't want to add the additional weight at the butt end??)

e.) and then Choice of 1x 50/70/100/150g Opti-vibe counterweight

http://www.tourlockpro.com/optivibe.html#

Or I can order from Golfworks via an a la carte menu... I like the idea of ordering a la carte and only getting the items I absolutely need.  But on the Golfworks site, I don't see where I can buy the Opti-vibe tool?  Did you have this?  Or how did you install the TLP counterweights?  Can you let me know what tools I need out of the list of a to e?

Right now I have an electric drill!  But don't know if I need anything else to install these weights into the butt end of the club.

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc

Golfworks has counterweights as well:

I have my putter backweighted as well, and love it.  After testing with different weights, I put an 80g backweight in my putter.

I just ordered the putter optimization package for TLP. Figured they have everything I need... And I can always go to Golfworks and order a different counterweight if I find the 75g weight I ordered isn't heavy enough - or I want to go lighter.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Hi Glock, thanks for sharing this information.  I went to the Golfworks site and was looking around.  Looks like these are pretty affordable and I'm definitely going to order some of these items.  But before I do, I was wondering if you could answer a few questions for me...

It doesn't look like Golfworks has all the tools needed to do the installation of the counterweight? I say this as the TourlockPro.com site shows that they have a putter optimization package for $79.99 that comes with:

a.) 1x TLP Grip Modifer (puts the hole in the butt end of the grip I assume??)

b.) 1x Opti-vibe Tool (this is the actual tool that places the weight into the shaft)

c.) 1x 12g TLP (I believe this is a weighted cap - which fills the hole in the butt end of the grip??)

d.) 1x Plastic cap (I believe this is just a plastic cap if you don't want to add the additional weight at the butt end??)

e.) and then Choice of 1x 50/70/100/150g Opti-vibe counterweight

http://www.tourlockpro.com/optivibe.html#

Or I can order from Golfworks via an a la carte menu... I like the idea of ordering a la carte and only getting the items I absolutely need.  But on the Golfworks site, I don't see where I can buy the Opti-vibe tool?  Did you have this?  Or how did you install the TLP counterweights?  Can you let me know what tools I need out of the list of a to e?

Right now I have an electric drill!  But don't know if I need anything else to install these weights into the butt end of the club.

All you need is in that pic.  The weights install with a simple Allen wrench (pictured), but there's a good chance you already have one.  When the wrench it turned, it slightly expands the diameter of the weight so that it is compressed inside the shaft, locking it in place.

The silver gizmo to the left of the Allen wrench is what goes in the drill to cut a hole in the butt of the grip.  This tool not only cuts a hole, but countersinks it as well, so that when the weights are installed they sit flush with the butt cap.

I think the major difference between the kit Golfworks sells and the Opti-Vibe is that the latter can be installed at different depths in the shafts.  This is handy for changing the balance point in a driver or iron, and some get a different feel when placing the weight at different depths (more in the hands, above or below the hands, etc.) with the putter.

Unfortunately, I can't be of much help with either of these products.  I did my backweighting the frugal way..... with a clevis pin:

I happen to have a bunch, but they are cheap to buy, a buck or so each.  I cut several to different weights, then installed each different weight and tested the results.  I blow my grips on, putter grip too, so changing the weights was quick and easy.  I had to grind a little of the head off so that it ended up about the same diameter as the shaft, and put a wrap of duct tape around the bottom end so it didn't rattle inside the shaft.

I can't find them right now, but I "hopefully" saved the fitting charts i had found where you insert a certain weight, make a few putts and note the balls distance, distance off line, etc.  After trying several different weights, you pretty much had a map of which weight fit you the best.

**EDIT - Oops, I missed the second post!

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc

I can't find them right now, but I "hopefully" saved the fitting charts i had found where you insert a certain weight, make a few putts and note the balls distance, distance off line, etc.  After trying several different weights, you pretty much had a map of which weight fit you the best.

Here is what I used, last couple of pages.

http://www.balance-certified.com/share/Drop-In%20Fitting%2009.pdf

If you're liking the heavier and counter-weighted feel, consider going even heavier for sure.  I have a Heavy Putter Mid-Weight, 400g head and 200g counter-weight.  Absolutely love the weight and their marketing point is totally true: much greater total weight and very high balance point really make it natural to keep the hands out of it and make a nice smooth pendulum stroke.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Glock thank you very much for your responses.  While you did your own counterweighting... Your help in guiding me through what I need is really appreciated.  I ordered the Tourlockpro Opti-vibe kit for the putter.  Hopefully I receive it soon.  Once I go through the process, I'll post an update and let you guys know what I think.  I'm excited as from what I have been reading, the counterweight in the putter grip is getting a lot of positive reviews.

One other update from my side.  Last night I went to the practice area that I use, and rolled putts from 30 to 60ft.  And my distance control was greatly improved.  I actually made several long putts.  Had a lot which lipped out.  This is something I haven't done - been doing in a long time.  My lag putting has been awful.  I however have two things I noticed.

1.) There were a few outliers where I came up vastly short of my target.... Out of 30 lengthy putts, ~ 5 of the putts came up very short (like 5ft short - one was closer to 10ft short - missed putt).  But a large majority were inside of 3ft... And I made a few and lipped out a few.  Coming up short was a concern and I'd like to eliminate that.

2.) The shorter 3ft range - I was making most of them to complete a two putt.  But the handful that I missed - having the heavier putter - I found that they ran past the hole by several feet.  One or two by more than 3 feet.  So my speed on short putts, looks like I need to practice more.

Overall, my putter feels so much better just by adding those 12gs to the head.  And I'm hoping the counterweight in the grip gets my stroke even more improved.

I have also switched to a heavier putter.

I used a Slotline High Moment Inertial putter for many years, because I liked the feel of the heel/toe balancing and the "Slotline" alignment.

I tried several other putters over the years and settled on a Slotline SSI693 mid mallet that had two 15gm weights for a total 360 gm weight.

As I use a 33" putter, this extra weight seems to allow me to not have to force the ball on the green. Rather, I can usually just let the swing of the club do the work.

Even though Slotline has once again disappeared from the golf market, this putter will be my weighty choice for years to come.

Originally Posted by HighSide

I'm not sure of their sourcing arrangement, but you can buy Slotline putter kits at diamondtourgolf.com. The prices are good.You can put it together or get a club builder to do so. " ; ^)

Wow, they are crazy cheap too!  Not one kit over $25, and thats for everything... head, shaft, grip, and head cover. Might have to pick up a few of those!

Beachcomber -Your welcome!  Backweighting made a BIG difference in my putting.

Note: This thread is 4150 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!