IGNORED

Hip too square at impact

LIMAK
Note: This thread is 4448 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all.. I am a newbie on this site and found alot of useful information to help my game. I found my hips too square at impact and tips to help me open my hips at impact?

This is kind of a funny way to think about it. But at one point when my hip turn was better, it felt like at the start of my downswing i was doing that old dance the twist.  so in your head think of that dance when you start your downswing. Ha Ha. It may work.

• Administrator

How do you know where it is at impact? Do you have a high-speed video?

It's probably better than you think it is. And it probably doesn't need to be as open as you think it does, either.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree with Erik

Definitely get is seen on video to find out where they actually are.

Next, make sure they are not stalling because of lack of hip slide and extension.

Other wise, keep straightening the legs.

That'd be the quick answer

James Hirshfield

Tour Professional Golf Coach

@hirshfield <-- Follow me on Twitter!

james@thegolfevolution.com

UK 07939-902455

USA (814) 464-3446

To me it looks like your hips may indeed be more square than optimal at impact, but that's just because you're not using your lower body or sliding your hips nearly enough in general.  I don't feel like finding the link, but one of the standard pieces of advice given on this forum for people with that problem is to read the hip slide thread.  If you just search "biggest secret slide your hips" in the forum search it'll come.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• Administrator

Ditto MDL. Slide your hips, extend your left leg in particular, and your hips will rotate more naturally and be in a better position at impact.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Your starting your downswing with your hands/arms.  Your rotating out of sequence.  You can see your hips are square because they are being rotated by your upper body.  The ideal downswing sequence starts with a rotation or opening of the Left hemi pelvis. Here is a Shawn Clements video that I found very helpful for initiating the downswing properly.

Be sure not to rotate your Right hip/pelvis prematurely.  Focus on bringing your Left pelvis to back to even or straight with where your Right pelvis is in space at the top of your backswing. This rotary movement of the Left side of pelvis will allow proper biomechanics sequencing allow you to keep a stable left side, as well as releasing the club properly through impact (not casting it away on the downswing)

[b]My Bag[/b] 1 Burgeoning mental game

Whatever you think and feel about your hips being forward and turned, you are probably still a long way from getting there.  Here is a little drill to try.  Take your stance and grip, then extend the little finger of your right hand (the pinkie) while still holding the club with a normal grip.  Stick the pinkie in your right front pants pocket, then push the club to impact coming down the line and notice how far forward you hips must be to produce a forward leaning club shaft, and how much turn you need to get to this position.  I am not saying hit the ball this way, just feel the extension it takes to get to a square position.  Then try to hit some shots where this is what you feel.  It will be strange at first, but in reality this is not much different from the flying wedge drill, it just has an anchor point to show you how far you have to move.

RC

I dont believe that you should try and open your hips for the sake of having them in a better position for an impact snapshot. Rather, learn to power the lower body and your hips will look better as a byproduct. If you coil in the backswing and keep your hands relaxed through transition than you will start using your hips to bring the club through. Keep your hands relaxed through impact and you will naturally tend to rotate your hips into the follow through without it being a forced action. Bottom line: learn to power the swing with your hips and get your arms out of it and your hips will start to look a whole lot better at impact.

The backswing and down swing are exact opposite in order of what starts to move first

Backswing

1. clubhead

2. hands and arms

3. shoulders

4. hips

Downswin

1. hips

2.shoulders

3. hands and arms

4. club head

If you focus on starting to clear your hips first, before you start anything else, then you should get the feel in no time.

And try to exaggerate this feeling, a lot of the time you may feel as if you are doing the movement, but in reality you may only be doing it a little bit.

Hank Haney said it best, "im asking for a foot, and begging for an inch"  (what he said to his student when he was trying to make him do something new in his swing)  Exaggeration is key!

• Upvote 1

Tiger90

Originally Posted by Tiger90

The backswing and down swing are exact opposite in order of what starts to move first

Backswing

1. clubhead

2. hands and arms

3. shoulders

4. hips

Downswin

1. hips

2.shoulders

3. hands and arms

4. club head

If you focus on starting to clear your hips first, before you start anything else, then you should get the feel in no time.

And try to exaggerate this feeling, a lot of the time you may feel as if you are doing the movement, but in reality you may only be doing it a little bit.

Hank Haney said it best, "im asking for a foot, and begging for an inch"  (what he said to his student when he was trying to make him do something new in his swing)  Exaggeration is key!

In a lot of times high handicapper like myself knows the theory behind a good swing but problem is always the execution, also when doubts start to creep in it will make thing worst.

on top of backswing what is the swing thoughts to execute the downswing? i try to focus on driving the left knee towards the target... not sure anyone had better swing thoughts?

Originally Posted by LIMAK

In a lot of times high handicapper like myself knows the theory behind a good swing but problem is always the execution, also when doubts start to creep in it will make thing worst.

on top of backswing what is the swing thoughts to execute the downswing? i try to focus on driving the left knee towards the target... not sure anyone had better swing thoughts?

Good Point.  im not exactly sure what swing thought to tell you.  I think swing thoughts are personal and whatever helps you get your head around executing the shot.

Ummmmm, You should be able to walk forward out of your shot.  If you weight is way on your back foot, you might not be clearing your hips.  If you transfer your weight to the front foot more it might help you clear your hips.  Your hips should turn to were your weight is focused.

I would say to try and feel as if you can hit the ball and take a step forward in the same motion.  I know that is a good drill to do to trasnfer your weight forward, however im not sure if it will help clear your hips quicker.

I am a feel player and i really dont get mechanical when i swing, and because of that it is hard for me to put the motions in to words.  But i would try that drill anyways and see what happens... it wont hurt lol.

Sorry if i coudlnt help you out

Tiger90

Going to range and try to walk forward after my follow thru...by the way that reminds me of my little 5 year old boy who is able to swing better than me...lol... you notice he did walk forward after his swing...

One comment on Tiger90's list.  That's a a good list of "feelings" of the order (of course physically ist's impossible to move your hips the right amount with the shoulders, arms, hands, and club head staying exactly in place!).  But one struggle I've had with firing the hips first is that, as a long time baseball player, I fire the hips most naturally by sliding them forward a bit but also firing my right hip out towards the ball, making my spine angle more vertical and leading blocking a lot of shots (though pointing my club at P4 down the target line instead of out to the right has partially fixed this naturally).  Fire the hips first, but SLIDE them, don't push them hard towards the ball.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Note: This thread is 4448 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!