IGNORED

hitting the ball sky high off the tee

mdiogo
Note: This thread is 4434 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

so heres the problem(maybe its not one?)

Here in Massachusetts majority of the golf courses i play at are fairly windy. so with me skying the ball off the tee is not helping me at all. i have a R11 with a 10.5 loft. i have lowered it to 9.5 and i still hit the thing straight in the air. i have lowered the ball on the tee so its maybe like a half inch off the ground. and again the ball just goes right up. any ideas of what could be going on? am i coming down too steep? any help would be great guys! thanks

MD

Driver taylormade.gif SLDR 12* Stiff Shaft Set Neutral
Woods- 4 Wood taylormade.gif R9 X-Stiff
Irons- adams.gif A3 Idea Steel Shaft
Wedges- Cleveland CG12 60* and 52*

Putter- Rife Antigua Island 31.5" with XL Grip

where is the ball in your stance. with a driver you want to set up so the ball is near your front foot so you hit the ball on the way up.

My clubs-

Driver- Cleveland XL270 

3 wood- Cleveland XL270 HL 3 wood

hybrid and irons-Cleveland Mashie 3 hybrid 

Adams a4r 4 hybrid-gw

wedges- a4r pw, gw, snakeyes 

Callaway x-series jaws 56 Degree, 60 Degree

putter- Oddessey metal-x 

Originally Posted by mdiogo

Here in Massachusetts majority of the golf courses i play at are fairly windy. so with me skying the ball off the tee is not helping me at all. i have a R11 with a 10.5 loft. i have lowered it to 9.5 and i still hit the thing straight in the air. i have lowered the ball on the tee so its maybe like a half inch off the ground. and again the ball just goes right up. any ideas of what could be going on? am i coming down too steep? any help would be great guys! thanks

MD

Possible too steep, yeah. That is what was running through my mind as I was reading your post.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Golf tends to move in opposites.   Sounds like you're trying to drive the ball lower and it's only I making you come harder downwards.   If I was a betting man, your weight is probably getting way over our toes, too, with a lot of bend at the hips.  Work on standing a bit straighter, which will flatten your shoulder plane and swing plane.   Then swing easiminot keep the spin to a minimum.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

when i use my driver, my ball is lined up directly with my front foot, is that a problem?

Originally Posted by mdiogo

MD

When i want to hit the ball higher, i move the ball up in my stance, and opposite for a low shot.  If the ball is inline with your front foot then yes, that is too far forward.  You want the ball just inside your front foot when you hit a driver.  But if you still hit it high, maybe move it back even more....

Tiger90

I agree, sounds like you are trying to drive the ball lower, and lowering the tee height will probably compound the problem.

Where are you making contact on the face when you sky one?  Probably up high.  Try teeing the ball a little higher, and shallow out the driver head coming into the ball.  Stand a little more erect, chest up.

What kind of shaft do you have in your driver?  If you have a low-flex point, high-launch shaft, then you're somewhat fighting against forces that are beyond your control.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I bet you are flipping the club head.  Does your tee move?  I fight this problem most days.  I have an 8.5 degree drive and still hit it a mile in the air.  I took a lesson to try and fix it, and have gotten better, but it still sky the ball quite a few times a round.

In the bag:

Driver:      titleist.gif 905S 9.5*
3 Wood:   callaway.gif FTi
Hybrid:     nike.gif 2Irons:       titleist.gif 710 CB 3-PWWedges:  titleist.gif Vokey 52* - 56*Putter:      ping.gif Gi5

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc

I agree, sounds like you are trying to drive the ball lower, and lowering the tee height will probably compound the problem.

Where are you making contact on the face when you sky one?  Probably up high.  Try teeing the ball a little higher, and shallow out the driver head coming into the ball.  Stand a little more erect, chest up.

usually when i make good contact its square on the face, surprisingly enough.

Originally Posted by k-troop

What kind of shaft do you have in your driver?  If you have a low-flex point, high-launch shaft, then you're somewhat fighting against forces that are beyond your control.

i have the original Fujikura Blur that came with the club. Stiff flex. is it possible that i dont need the stiff and should maybe switch to a reg flex? my avg swing speed is 96-101

Originally Posted by playfromthetips11

I bet you are flipping the club head.  Does your tee move?  I fight this problem most days.  I have an 8.5 degree drive and still hit it a mile in the air.  I took a lesson to try and fix it, and have gotten better, but it still sky the ball quite a few times a round.

usually i break my tees and can not find them. what does this tell you?

It's not really about the stiffness, per se.  It's tough to get launch specs on the made for TM Blur, but I think it's a high-launch, mid-spin shaft.

My first thought is if you're making good contact and flipping or breaking tees, then it might be a shaft/ball combo.  Easy way to check:  get a sleeve of low-spin balls and head to your local gear shop.  Pull a driver off the rack (same loft as yours) with a low-launch, low-spin shaft (the Titleist 910 with ahina shaft is a good example) and hit ten balls.  Then hit ten with your own driver.  Compare launch characteristics.

If the ahina launches lower and spins less, then you'll know that at least part of your high-launch "problem" is equipment related.  Then you have to decide whether it's really a "problem."

Remember, trajectory doesn't indicate wind-interference nearly as much as spin does, and solid shots perform much, much better in the wind than off-center shots.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I was playing the Nike Dymo 2 driver for 2 years and hit the ball way to high. it was giving me way to much loft. I also figured out that I was coming down on the ball with the driver like an iron shot. i switched to the titleist d3 with the aldila shaft about a week ago. I hit that driver so much lower and rarely slice it ever.

Loft of the club has little to do with launch angle, its more likely your swing or the golf shaft. If you have a low kick point the ball will go higher. If you add that, if your casting the ball or putting tons of spin on the ball with your driver then you will be hitting it to high.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 4434 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!