IGNORED

Setting up practice around the house, help needed!

Note: This thread is 4379 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ive been visiting a range lately 2 or 3 times a week, and well, lets just say that the 40 min round trip and the $16 a pop is starting to add up.

Im looking for some suggestions and hopefully links/prices to golf nets that I could set up in a small 2m wide backyard. Im renting a unit with no grass so id need some astro turf to hit off too. At this stage im thinking short game only, as 1. its very important, but 2. the risk of damage to the property, myself or a neighbour would be high with a mishit and concrete in nearly every direction.

Look forward to your suggestions

http://www.allturfmats.com/

I am currently waiting on a mat to arrive from this company.

From the time stamp on your post and the reference to meters, I'm going to climb out on a limb and say you aren't from the United States.  I live a couple of hours south of this company, so shipping was relatively cheap.  I have a feeling that this company can ship anywhere though, because I'm pretty sure they manufacture a lot of the mats you see advertised online.  I bought the Monster Tee Golf Turf 60 x 60" for $99.00, but I know they also make smaller mats as well.  That might save you a ton of money on shipping.  I can't tell you for certain that it's the greatest thing ever, but if I'm lucky, it'll be here today.  I have seen mats that have the same texture and measurements selling for $499.00 on line from other companies, and as I said, I think this company manufactures them.  They are located in an area of Georgia that is famous for carpet production.

I've also ordered a net from a company in Washington.  Here's the link to what I bought: http://gourock.com/golfnettingpanels.html

Mine is the 10 x 10' panel.  It's coming from all the way across the country, so it'll be a few days before it gets here, so I can't be certain of just how awesome - or not - it is.  I did see another sandtrapper post some pics of a set up that they had custom made for his indoor hitting space, so they can do just about anything.  Again, they manufacture the nets, and according to their site, they do a lot of work for companies and universities all over, so they could probably work with you.

Hopefully, I'll have my set-up in place by the end of the week and I can tell you if it was worth it or not.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sorry for the double post, but the mat came in today.  As advertised, this thing is awesome.  I've only taken a couple of swings on it, but it really does feel like taking a crisp divot on a perfectly manicured course.  I may drag it out and do some chipping after I'm done with work just to see how it feels.

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Yeh your right, Im from the land down under.

That site looks pretty sweet, love the pet tray lol could fill it with sand to practice bunker shots.

I had this crazy idea today, I should buy a foam mattress and put it inside the house and chip balls into it.

I haven't tried the mat recommended above, but I've tried a number of <$50 (US $) mats, and destroyed all of them within a month.  My plan is one that's been recommended here, and I'm just going to the big box hardware store (Home Depot, Lowes here) and get a square of industrial strength astroturf.

I think getting a net and a mat and maybe some buckets or other targets for practice of little green side shots is great.  But if you have a public park or school within a few minutes, buy birdieballs.  On their web site you can get 25 of them for like $30, and 50 or 100 of them for a reasonable price too.  They're WAY better than practice whiffle balls, give you full information on the shot you just hit except for distance, feel good coming off the club (given they're a practice "ball"), and go max 45 yards.  I also ran up against budget problems when I started trying to practice as much as I want to, and now I can go down the street to the park and hit as many balls as I want for free.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

I was sold on those mats right up until I saw the shipping quote for the UK. $67.50 for a 2' by 15' mat and then $255.15 for UPS World Wide Saver (hah!) postage.

Absolutely ridiculous amount of money for a roll of fake plastic grass to be posted.

I think I'll stick with my felt putting matt and mini chipping net in the office for now.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

I was sold on those mats right up until I saw the shipping quote for the UK. $67.50 for a 2' by 15' mat and then $255.15 for UPS World Wide Saver (hah!) postage.

Absolutely ridiculous amount of money for a roll of fake plastic grass to be posted.

I think I'll stick with my felt putting matt and mini chipping net in the office for now.

Ouch.  Surely someone on another continent makes spring crimped nylon mats.

Here is an indoor golf net that I have been keeping an eye on.  The guy is a start-up, but the product looks really interesting.  I believe it will be ~ $500 to $600 from what I've gathered.  But he isn't selling it yet.  But it looks like a great device... But I can't imagine hitting every club in the bag into it.  It may only be able to handle like an 8/9/PW??

https://www.facebook.com/myswingbox

But this looks like it would be the perfect size to fit into my single care garage and go out there and bang ball after ball.

• 5 weeks later...

I went with a mat from this company http://www.realfeelgolfmats.com to use with BirdieBalls in our back yard. Our fenced in backyard yard is 45-50 yards deep and so far (thanks to some trees) I haven't hit a BirdieBall out of the yard. I really like that you can tell if you slice or fade with the BirdieBalls compared to hitting golf balls into a net. I went with the Real Feel Country Club Elite Mat since I was able to hit off of one at a semi local golf practice facility. I was impressed at how little strain the mat put on my "golfers elbow" tendinitis when I hit the ball fat. The mat is a huge improvement over the BirdieBall strikepads, which I hated. I was very hesitant about the mat price (BirdieBalls are reasonably priced), but it didn't seem too bad after I figured out what it would cost in comparison to going to a driving range on a regular basis.

The most surprising part of this setup is the fact that my wife (who has never been interested in hitting a golf ball) has noticed how much fun I am having and wants to try it. The only catch is that she is a lefty and can't use my clubs.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the love waterballer! I'm the owner and inventor of the Country Club Elite golf mats and I too love the birdieballs.

Infact I have a big backyard tounament every year and it get's pretty serious. I just taallied up the leaderboard forom this year so I can rate the holes next year. the #1 handicap is a short wedge shot over my koi pond and to a hole that's guarded by a huge ash tree if you get too gready.

I posted some pics on my facebook page www.facebook.com/golfmats

and here's a night time outing we had last year - too much fun!

If anyone is interested in a mat please put "The Sand Trad" in the Bonus code box at checkout and I'll send you dozen free birdieballs as thanks.

good golfing,

jay

• 3 months later...
[URL=http://www.allturfmats.com/]http://www.allturfmats.com/[/URL] I am currently waiting on a mat to arrive from this company. From the time stamp on your post and the reference to meters, I'm going to climb out on a limb and say you aren't from the United States.  I live a couple of hours south of this company, so shipping was relatively cheap.  I have a feeling that this company can ship anywhere though, because I'm pretty sure they manufacture a lot of the mats you see advertised online.  I bought the Monster Tee Golf Turf 60 x 60" for $99.00, but I know they also make smaller mats as well.  That might save you a ton of money on shipping.  I can't tell you for certain that it's the greatest thing ever, but if I'm lucky, it'll be here today.  I have seen mats that have the same texture and measurements selling for $499.00 on line from other companies, and as I said, I think this company manufactures them.  They are located in an area of Georgia that is famous for carpet production. I've also ordered a net from a company in Washington.  Here's the link to what I bought: [URL=http://gourock.com/golfnettingpanels.html]http://gourock.com/golfnettingpanels.html[/URL] Mine is the 10 x 10' panel.  It's coming from all the way across the country, so it'll be a few days before it gets here, so I can't be certain of just how awesome - or not - it is.  I did see another sandtrapper post some pics of a set up that they had custom made for his indoor hitting space, so they can do just about anything.  Again, they manufacture the nets, and according to their site, they do a lot of work for companies and universities all over, so they could probably work with you. Hopefully, I'll have my set-up in place by the end of the week and I can tell you if it was worth it or not.

Thanks for the links! I'm ordering from both your sources. The mats I am using fall apart after two days. The net I'm using is finally falling apart, and not even close to the quality of the one in your link.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 4379 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!