Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Golfingdad

Are extreme temps harmful to clubs?

10 posts in this topic

I keep my clubs in my car (because I always want to be ready to sneak away from work and play when I get the chance) and I am wondering if really cold or hot weather does anything to your clubs. Granted, I live in Socal so we're not talking super extreme here but it has been fluxuating lately ... 90* midday Sunday, 36* overnight last night.

I've lost a bowling ball to a crack in high heat, could anything like that happen with golf clubs?

Thanks, Drew

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I've googled this before and read cold weather can cause the epoxy that holds the clubhead on to crack and you could loose the head of your club while swinging. Not sure if it's true or not. Not sure about warm weather. I leave my clubs in the trunk of my car in the summer and haven't had any problems. The trunk doesn't get as warm as the inside of the car because it has no windows so I keep them in there all the time. No one can see them to so less chance of being stolen.

I play in < 36° temps with no problems, so I doubt the cold will have much of an affect on the epoxy.  And unless your truck will get the heads as hot as a heat gun at point-lank range, the heat shouldn't have any affect of it either.

The temp can effect the epoxy.  Ive seen it happen to friends who leave their clubs in the trunk of their car all the time.

One hot summer in NC a buddy of mine who is a good player was missing putts like crazy.  It only took a few holes to discover that the heat in his car had softened up the epoxy on his putter head and the head was turning a little bit when he hit the ball.  He took his hand and could turn it easily.  It can get VERY hot inside of a car, especially one with a hatch back and the windows rolled up.

Thanks for all the feedback folks.  Sounds like to be safe, I will stop leaving the clubs outside.  Cheers.

Extreme temperatures will also effect the life of your grips.

Originally Posted by BugDude

One hot summer in NC a buddy of mine who is a good player was missing putts like crazy.  It only took a few holes to discover that the heat in his car had softened up the epoxy on his putter head and the head was turning a little bit when he hit the ball.  He took his hand and could turn it easily.  It can get VERY hot inside of a car, especially one with a hatch back and the windows rolled up.

A car with the windows rolled up in the summer is pretty much like a greenhouse and it doesnt take long for the inside temps to reach dangerous levels.

Winter: A guy from GolfWorks cautioned that golfers can hurt their clubs during the winter. If they leave the clubs out in their car during freezing weather, and then bring them into a warm house, this can cause condensation and get moisture inside the shafts. This is really a problem if you have metal shafts containing Sensicore inserts to dampen impact shock.

Condensation problem is similar to that faced by hunters or soldiers during the winter. In winter combat situations, soldiers sometimes keep weapons outdoors to prevent condensation rust caused by bringing cold weapons into above-freezing buildings. (This assumes the enemy is not about to overrun your position).

Summertime:   At work, I park in the mid-level of our parking garage during the summer. It never gets above 75 degrees, so my clubs are safe.

The 5-minute epoxy they use fails at a  lower temperature then quality epoxy. That's why graphite shafts don't melt when loosening the bond with heat.