IGNORED

Buying New Clubs( I got a shock)

old golf nut
Note: This thread is 4576 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi All

I went to demo days yesterday at one of my local Pro Shops to try out clubs. I have been out of golf for 16 years, but getting back into the game now. I owned Ping Eye II’s before and really loved them. So when I went to demo days, I asked for and hit all the pings they had. I really liked the G20’s irons a lot, seemed to hit them better than any of the other Pings, and was really happy with the way I was hitting (need a LOT more practice of course, but they felt good and my shots were mostly straight). Then the salesman suggested I should hit some other makes of clubs since I was there and it was free, just to compare, so it was like why not, I knew what I wanted, but never hurt to confirm my decision......now to the problem, I hit the Callaway Raxr X irons quite a bit better than the Ping G20’s and a WHOLE LOT better than any of the others I tried .......I even took the 4, 6, 8 irons of both the G20’s and the Raxr X’s back out and hit a large bucket between them........I like Ping, I wanted Pings.....but no matter how hard I tried to hit the Pings as well as the Callaway’s, the Razr X irons just hit both straighter , longer and more consistent, and felt better.......I feel like I am betraying Ping........but the end result could not be ignored........now to my question....I have only been going to the range about 3 to 4 weeks now, hitting an old set of Powerbuilt clubs I bought on E-Bay, don’t like them at all, but for 50 bucks plus shipping I got them to practice with to make sure my back could stand hitting balls(I quit 16 years ago because of a bad back, but had an operation since) and have gotten so I hit the ball more than I miss it, and can hit it without slicing or duck hooking most of the time......should I give it more time, and practice some more before I go with the Callaway’s over the Pings, or can one make of club fit a certain person and their swing  that much better than another make of club? Sorry for being so long winded, but the results from yesterday really caught me off guard, and buying new clubs is for me a big decision, I knew the price of top name clubs coming in, so that is not an issue, just want to be sure I am making the right decision............I intend to keep these clubs for a long time( I am 59 now, and plan on playing with which ever set of clubs I get for at least 10 years I hope)

Hi Old Golf Nut,

I, too, recently came back to the game after having back issues, however, not quite so serious.  I was out for about 2 years, and have only had various forms of non-surgical treatment; chiropractic, therapy and steroid injections.  (Side note: I still have back issues and am on a - hopefully very short - hiatus right now while seeing a chiropractor)

When I came back after the 2 years, I was very gung ho, and have had a couple of lessons (which I never had before) and because of those and having had a chance to see myself on video, I am working on some things.  Specifically, moving the ball further away from me and flattening my swing.  I feel like if I haven't figured that out yet, and I go and get custom fitted clubs, then they might not fit for very long.

I guess my advice to you would be if you feel like your swing is what it has always been, and you are comfortable with it, then go for it.  But if you are still working out some kinks from the 16 year break, maybe wait until it feels like you found your swing.

P.S.  I have the same "brand affinity" as you - but for Titleist - and am wondering how I'll feel at a fitting when I'm hitting Taylor Mades or Callaways better.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It would be a no-brainer for me personally.  If you hit the Callaways better, get them or you'll regret it later on.

I have Mizuno irons, even though I could have gotten Taylormade R9's for half the price.  The R9's didn't look, feel or perform the same as the Mizunos, so I bought them and have never regretted spending the additional money.

Tough choice. Do you go for the ones your heart is set on but sacrifice accuracy and distance for the time being (and hope your swing improves enough to hit them well) or do you go for the ones you hit better but don't have your heart set on?

For me I'd find out what shafts were in both sets of clubs and make sure they were the same shaft (if not then try the Pings with the Cally shaft)

If the shafts are the same then ask yourself how much better you hit the Callaways. If it's a dramatic difference go for the Callaways, if not there's still an argument there to say go for the Pings as you'll learn to hit them better over time anyway and they're the ones you have your heart set on.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

I think that it is great that you want to have a particular brand, but I say that if they are not paying you to play their clubs, go for the clubs that work best for you. While I really like Taylormade, my consists of 4 different manufacturers. I just find the clubs that suit me best, no matter the brand.

Hello Everyone

Well I went back to the Pro Shop yesterday and talked the instructor into spending a little time with me.......I took the 5,7,and 9 nine irons of both brands and a large bucket of balls......he watched me hit about 20 balls with both brands and then made some suggestions in my set up and had me hit another 20 balls with the different clubs.....same end results as before, but I was a little more consistent with my shot placement with both brands, but the Callaways did preform better for me.....his suggestion was to practice some more(at least a couple of more buckets since it has been so long since I have played) and then if the Callaways still felt better, then it would be a no brain-er in his mind (he is a Taylor Made man himself ).....another point he made that I had not considered, was had I tryed the Callaways before I bought the Ping Eye II's back when I went that route ? And no I hadn't, I just went to the local Pro Shop, knew I wanted Ping Eye II's and got them....he also pointed out the same thing as you guys have mentioned, I am not getting paid to play a certain brand, and both brands are very much top notch, but what are my goals, to play the club I like because I liked it before, or are my goals to play as well as I can? He told me to him, at the 19th hold, it was not what brand of club was in his bag, but rather what was on the score card ........he never suggested lessons, was not in any way critical of my swing, in fact told me I had some good basics, just needed some more practice......in the end I signed up for 5 lessons .....and after those I will go with the brand of club that fits me and my swing best.....at least I never had a favorite wood so will not have this same dilemma on choosing which brand to go with there .....will go with the brand I can hit best.....thanks for all your responses and will keep you posted on end results and decision......can't wait to get on the course....weather here in Michigan is Beautiful for this time of year.....and by the way, this is one super forum

I would love to offer my limited experience,

These clubs could hit different for you because of the obvious that they are different clubs, but different shaft flex and lengths, lofts and lies may also attribute to this.

In my opinion you have to go with the golf clubs that feel great to hit as well as provide the desired results.   I have noticed one of the ways to do this is get a professional fitting from a clubmaker.  They are somewhat more thorough than some of the larger golf outlets. This is not to say that they do not provide the equivalent service, but in my experience they have only given a partial fitting.

I believe fittings very important for every level of golfer.  There is a major misconception that a professional fitting is only for good golfers.  This is extremely important to ensure shaft length, shaft flex, club lofts and lies are all measured to the individual because all our swings are unique.

Two of the things I have found to be more in depth.

- Golf shafts come over length of course to provide the possibility of different sizes as would be measured for each individual. They are generally marked regular flex, stiff flex, extra stiff flex and so on.  The way it was explained to me is that each shaft can be somewhat different from the next do to extremely slight differences that can not be prevented.  Some major outlets will measure, cut, and mount the shafts and the flex can range slightly within your selected flex range. A qualified clubmaker has tools to measure the flex on an individual shaft and after watching your swing and calculating what the proper flex for you is, they can measure a shaft and the specific spot to cut it on both ends to provide an equal flex throughout your entire set.

- Aligning the spine of your club shaft. Also due to slight deviations in each individual shaft it will flex easier along a specific axis. if this axis is not aligned with your swing, then when the shaft flexes on your backswing it has the possibility to deviate from one side or the other causing a higher possibility of a miss hit.

I hope this is a clear explanation.

Anyway. To prevent making this post far too long I will stop it here. And if anyone has any questions or wants to discuss this further feel free to pm me.

Mitch G

Originally Posted by Bullitt5339

It would be a no-brainer for me personally.  If you hit the Callaways better, get them or you'll regret it later on.

I have Mizuno irons, even though I could have gotten Taylormade R9's for half the price.  The R9's didn't look, feel or perform the same as the Mizunos, so I bought them and have never regretted spending the additional money.

Same for me, get the clubs that you hit best, no-brainer.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

This is also a good point that he brought up.

Originally Posted by old golf nut

another point he made that I had not considered, was had I tryed the Callaways before I bought the Ping Eye II's back when I went that route ? And no I hadn't, I just went to the local Pro Shop, knew I wanted Ping Eye II's and got them....

Hello All

I went back to driving range Sunday, and hit a couple of buckets of balls with the Callaways, wow do I need practice......had my first lesson yesterday, never saw myself on video before, not sure I want to again .......the way 'I THINK I SWING" and the way the video showed my swing were not even on the same planet ............that's a tool that I think I am going to like......I was fitted and ordered the callaways yesterday as well, now more lessons and more practice, and more practice.....and I HOPE to play some golf at some point in time.....will take about 10 days for the clubs to come in ......now trying out different woods, never could hit a driver so trying out different strong 3 woods and different 5 woods(NOTE: I ordered 2 of the utility clubs, the 3 and 5 of the Callaways, hit them fairly well).......I noticed someone on another post talked about how important stretching was before playing and practicing, the instructor told me I needed to do them every day, would help both my back and my game, going to start trying to do those as well.......will keep you posted on my progress.......and thanks to everyone the posted replies....I am learning a lot from this forum

Originally Posted by old golf nut

now trying out different woods, never could hit a driver so trying out different strong 3 woods and different 5 woods(NOTE: I ordered 2 of the utility clubs, the 3 and 5 of the Callaways, hit them fairly well).......I noticed someone on another post talked about how important stretching was before playing and practicing, the instructor told me I needed to do them every day, would help both my back and my game, going to start trying to do those as well.......will keep you posted on my progress.......and thanks to everyone the posted replies....I am learning a lot from this forum

Being middle age, too, I suggest a driver in the 12-13 degree range -- Callaway has them, and then I would get the shaft to 45 inches (length affects swing weight - so you need a fitter who knows what he is doing) and the correct weighted shaft in the correct flex for you. For example, I use an Adams 9088 UL 12.5 with a Fujkura Blur at 45 inches - it is a fairway finder and long. Also, your driver need not match your fairway woods. :-)

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4576 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!