IGNORED

Anyone carry a 4 wood in the bag?

Note: This thread is 3874 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yep..I have always had trouble with a normal 3 w especially off the deck, so I went with a 17 deg 4 w for some distance and 7 and 9 woods..

Love my 9 wood by the way..Hits high and lands soft..but not always LOL.

it may depend on your swing speed, players with lower swing speeds very often times have trouble getting the ball airborne with lower lofted clubs. high swing speeds can impart more spin on the ball, thus making it easier to get the ball up in the air and stay in the air for longer a lot easier.

-tim

In my Diablo Edge Tour/ Titliest Stand Bag:
Driver: Nike VR Pro 8.5* w/ Myazaki 43g X
3 Wood: Nike VR Pro II 13.5* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X
5 Wood: Cobra S9-1 Pro 18* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* w/ Prolaunch Red X
Irons: 4-7 Titleist 712 CB, 8-9 712 MB w/ TT Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: 46* Vokey SM4, 54* Vokey SM4, 60* TMade ATV

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Belly 43"

i carry a taylormade r9 17* 4 wood as my only fairway wood.  i used to carry a 3 wood and 5 wood but never really found myself needing to differentiate between the two so i just simplified and split the difference.  it's not very realistic for me to worry about specific yardages since i'm not planning on hitting fairway woods accurate enough to put it on the green.  i tee off with it if my driver isn't cooperating or on short par 4's and use it for second shots on long par 5's.  i've cut down to 12 clubs so my setup goes 10.5* driver, 17* 4 wood, 22* hybrid then 5 iron and down.  works pretty well for me.

R9 Driver and 17* 4 wood
mizuno.gif MX-23 (5-PW)
CG16 52*, 58*

White Ice #7

A few years ago I carried a Mizuno F-60 4-wood.  I liked it for the most part and sometimes consider adding a 4-wood to the bag again.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...
Revamped setup now includes a four wood. Adams TightLies High Launch Max COR Driver 10.5° Ping G20 4-wood 16.5° Exotics 4-hybrid 22° 5-PW 27°- 45° 51°, 57°, 64°

Driver: Adams TightLies Titanium High Launch Max COR (10.5°) R Flex Graphite SuperShaft Lightweight Mid Kickpoint, GolfPride Multicompound Grip

Fairway Wood: Ping G20 4-Wood (16.5°), R Flex Ping TFC 169F Shaft, Ping ID8 Grip | Hybrid: Ping G25 (23°), Ping TFC 189H Shaft, GolfPride Tour Velvet Grip

Irons: Cleveland TA-5 Gunmetal R Flex True Temper Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Black Grips: 5-I (27°) 6-I (30°), 7-I (33.5°), 8-I (37°), 9-I (41°), PW (45°)

Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action REG 588 Gunmetal Dynamic Gold Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Red Grips: 51°/6, 57°/10, LW 64°/8

Putter: Carbite Polar Balanced DC, Tiger Shark Oversized Grip 31"

I went from a 3W + (5W or 19* TM Raylor) to a 4W + 7W (Tour Edge Exotics XRail).

I had trouble with the 3W off the turf getting the ball up. And, I only connected with about half the shots off the turf (too many 140-yard dumpers into first cut of rough).

4W much more reliable, and pairs well with 7W. In second half of summer, I hit and held several greens from 210 + out with a 4W. (And some I missed, but we won't talk about those).

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am using a 4 wood now. TM r11s.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Just bought a 4 wood V Steel with a Prolaunch blue in it. Hoping the combination will help me get the ball up in the air more than my previous 3 wood.

~Justin

R11 9.5* w/Matrix Ozik Code 6.2
Taylormade 14* V-Steel w/ProLaunch Blue
Taylormade 16.5* V-Steel w/Aldila NV
Taylormade 21* V-Steel w/Dyanlite Gold S300
Mizuno MX 23 5-6 w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Mizuno MP 32 7-PW w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Mizuno 0803 Custom Slighter

I have been thinking about one as well. I really like my options at 12.5 and 21 degrees but need something in between. I will probably go with a 4w or a 5w, but have not decided which yet.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I've been carrying a driver, four and seven for some time now and have no intention to change in the foreseeable future.  I hit the four much more consistently off the fairway than a three, and I don't think I give up much distance.  To be honest, however, I use the seven much more often than the four, but that is a function of the courses I play.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

The driver, 4-wood, 7-wood is a great combo that many should consider. Of course, one has to find what works for them. Also, the blurred lines between what constitutes one manufacturer's # stamped on the sole of the club vs. another's must be taken into account. One company's 4-wood may be another's 3-wood or 5-wood and so on and so on.... However, the typical loft of today's 4-wood seems to be 16 to 18. Much like PirateJim, I have been carry a version of the D/4/7 for some time - just tweaking it to find the right clubs. Started withe the original Adams TightLies and through several different set ups but always a D/4/7 of some sort. So this is the combo that is presently in my bag and likely will stay for a while. Ping G20 4-wood 16.5° & Tour Edge Exotics 4-hybrid 22° Happy Golfing!! ~ George Shot.

Driver: Adams TightLies Titanium High Launch Max COR (10.5°) R Flex Graphite SuperShaft Lightweight Mid Kickpoint, GolfPride Multicompound Grip

Fairway Wood: Ping G20 4-Wood (16.5°), R Flex Ping TFC 169F Shaft, Ping ID8 Grip | Hybrid: Ping G25 (23°), Ping TFC 189H Shaft, GolfPride Tour Velvet Grip

Irons: Cleveland TA-5 Gunmetal R Flex True Temper Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Black Grips: 5-I (27°) 6-I (30°), 7-I (33.5°), 8-I (37°), 9-I (41°), PW (45°)

Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action REG 588 Gunmetal Dynamic Gold Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Red Grips: 51°/6, 57°/10, LW 64°/8

Putter: Carbite Polar Balanced DC, Tiger Shark Oversized Grip 31"

Reading through the thread all I can say is what a difference a year makes. I know carry my driver, 3W, 4H...... I have dropped my 7W and only carry my 5W when I play scrambles, or I know I will be riding in a cart (which is during scrambles. My drives have left me usually hitting driver wedge on par 4's and driver 4H on par 5. (but that is mostly due to the courses I play) The funny thing is I have been giving serious consideration to dumping my 3w. I hit it great off the tee, lousy off the deck. I can hit my 4H great off the deck and lousy off the tee. My 5 w (taylormade burner 18 degree) I can hit off both deck and tee, but I am 15 yards shorter than my 3w (215 vs 230). After reading this thread I considered getting a nice new 4W and dumping the 3w & 5W, but that is just what I need- a couple more clubs in my spare bag I will never use again. Aint this game great!!!!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Note: This thread is 3874 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!