IGNORED

Describe Your Golf Game

iacas
Note: This thread is 6902 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
History:
I've been playing golf since 1993, when I first played and later made my high school golf team. We won three championships in a row (and two after I left), I won the Erie District Golf Association Jr. Championship in 1995, and was all-county and went to the State tournament. Then I went to college, didn't play cuz the coach was a jerk, and just recently got back into the swing of things.

Current Game:
About the same as it's always been, though my short game is better than it used to be and my iron play is a tad worse. Still adjusting to my new 680s. I used to hit the ball super-high, but I'm bringing the ball flight down a little. I'm pretty straight, average distance, and I consider myself a bit of a shotmaker. I can work the ball either way comfortably, have imagination, and usually putt well. My home course is one of the best in the area, even without a ton of yardage, with smallish, tricky greens and narrow fairways.

How about you?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

History
Started playing about 18 months ago or so. Only took it up because I blew my knee out playing rugby and just went mucked round on a driving range and decided I'd give golf a crack. Loved it ever since. 1st h/c was 17.6 with an old!!!! set of staff blades (circa 1973ish).

Current
I am now officially my clubs resident club ho. I'm on my 4th driver of the year and April hasn't even finished.2nd set of irons and don't even get me started on putters . Currently playing off 4.7 and was knocked out the club champs on sat by a +1 h/c'r. Only 2/1 though. Still playing what I like to term a power fade off the tee (no its not a slice, well maybe ) A little fade with the short irons and a draw with the long ones. My claim to fame is being the only one at my course that still carrys a 1 iron

I have played all my life, but just got serious within the last 2-3 years. I am carrying a 12 handicap, and working on going lower.

I am pretty long off the tee(285-290 carry). My Irons are my real weekness. I am currently hitting the ball really high, and have set up some appointments with my local pro to fix my iron play. I am making great contact, just hitting them rediculously high. My yardages are a hair short. But should get better with my lessons. The Strongest part of my game is my wedge play. I can always depend on my wedges. I have a solid game on the green, but am working on getting better.

I am looking forward to lowering my handicap.

Kiwidave, Where are you from in New Zealand? I was down there last August. That is a beautiful country. We were in Chirstchurch, Queenstown, and Auckland. Loved being there.

Titleist 905R 8.5 w/ UST V2 75 S
Taylor Made R7 TP TS 13 w/ Vista Pro 80 XS
Titleist 695cb 2i w/ Rifle Project X 6.5
Titleist 695.mb 3-PW w/ Rifle Project X 6.5
Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome 54.14 w/ Project X 6.5Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome 60.08 w/ Project X 6.5Titleist Cameron Studio Style...

Started 17 years ago at 16 years of age,played alot at junior level and then for my County.Decided i then wanted to be a club pro and did the 4/5 years of training to achieve this.Had a go at playing the smaller crcuits for a few years whilst training (bloody hard work even at that level) and then a year or so after getting fully qualified got a Head Pro position at Caldecott Hall Golf club,Gt Yarmouth,Norfolk,England.In January after 7 years i decided i'd had enough of teaching,doing corporate stuff,meetings,running a shop etc etc and wanted to just play golf again,and do it for me.Just got my amateur handicap back and really,really enjoying actually playing some golf again.....

Currently hold 4 course records: 65 at Wood Valley Golf Club Beccles (Par 68),
65 at Brett Vale Golf Club,Essex (Par 71),62 at West Runton,Norfolk (Par 68) and a 67 at South Malling (Par 72).

Played in Open qualifying ("THE" Open !) a couple of times and got through to final qualifying a few years ago (2002) at Muirfield after going birdie,birdie in something like a 21 way play-off (yes seriously) at Regional qualifying,and getting an alternate start spot after Jean Van der Velde pulled out injured.Played with Tom Gillis from US Tour and a ex-Walker Cup player called Paddy Gribben from Ireland.Amazing experience as was "pegging up" with Sam Torrance,Mark James,Per Ulrik Johanson,Steve Elkington,Mark Brooks,Andrew Coltart,Jay Haas,Jarmo Sandelin,Sven Struver and many many other pretty big-named "stars" in the field.During the build up that week i also played a practice round,in the group in front of a certain Mr P Mickelson.I think he'd gone to one of the Qualifying courses to escape the cameras,activity etc at Muirfield itself.

Usually a solid ball striker (even if i sometimes got no idea where its going after ive struck it ),lol.Putting is and always has been my weakness and i guess i average something like 32 putts per round which is a couple too many for me to really compete,and i find putting on really quick greens (which obviously the bigger comps on better courses tend to have) more difficult.Played comp yesterday at my home club shooting two under 70 with 31 putts and 15 greens in reg which sort of typifies my game.
Like to shape the ball both ways as i find it very difficult to hit it dead straight.

My home course is nearly 6900 of the back tee's which is long enough in a relatively cold climate,on a course fairly close to the sea and thus getting the winds associated with being near the sea.Its a mature parkland course with receptive greens,lush rough and a real good selection of holes length-wise and shape wise.

10.5 deg Titleist 905T.S-flex Graph-design purple ice.
TaylorMade 200 3wood.S-flex Graph-design purple ice.
19 deg Taylormade rescue-mid with 6.0 Rifle flighted.
Callaway 3-PW X-16 Pro series with 6.0 Rifle flighted.
Cleveland 56+60RTG/Custom 34" Yes! Sophia/Pro-V1syershulver1@msn.co.uk

Started 17 years ago at 16 years of age,played alot at junior level and then for my County.Decided i then wanted to be a club pro and did the 4/5 years of training to achieve this.Had a go at playing the smaller crcuits for a few years whilst training (bloody hard work even at that level) and then a year or so after getting fully qualified got a Head Pro position at Caldecott Hall Golf club,Gt Yarmouth,Norfolk,England.In January after 7 years i decided i'd had enough of teaching,doing corporate stuff,meetings,running a shop etc etc and wanted to just play golf again,and do it for me.Just got my amateur handicap back and really,really enjoying actually playing some golf again.....

Wow!!!! Thats pretty damn impressive! Have you had any luck trying a heavier putter?

Thanks

Heavier putter.Mmmm.Yes i do like them heavy,especially on the traditionally "slower" greens over here in England.

Im a real fan in the last few years of face-balanced mallet type putters.Ive just bought a Yes! Golf / C-groove Marilyn which is pretty heavy and was previously using a good old Odyssey 2 ball which i like but found the 2-ball thing a little "cluttered" at address.

Got any good suggestions for me ???????

10.5 deg Titleist 905T.S-flex Graph-design purple ice.
TaylorMade 200 3wood.S-flex Graph-design purple ice.
19 deg Taylormade rescue-mid with 6.0 Rifle flighted.
Callaway 3-PW X-16 Pro series with 6.0 Rifle flighted.
Cleveland 56+60RTG/Custom 34" Yes! Sophia/Pro-V1syershulver1@msn.co.uk

Thanks

You might be interested in checking out tom wishon's site on the net. I believe it to be twgt.com. A variety of putters that lets you custom fit. You can add weight, choose different loft plates, and a variety of center shaft and heel shaft. All of the equipment is top notch and this guy has very many original designs on all equipment. He was in demand from most of the big companies for chief designer. If you get a chance, check his co. out!

HISTORY:
Not as lucky as most of you guys - I grew up in Poland, were golf was (and virtually still is) non-existing. Ended up in USA in 1996 and first "sport" I picked up was bowling. I was a nutcase. Bowling at least 4-5 times a week with 2 - 3 leagues and all the newest equipment I reached 220's avg. after two years. It was the point where I was winning amateur tournaments, but wasn't good enough to compete with the pros (twice missed the "cut" in the regional PBA's). Having a full time job made the "next step" impossible. Buddy at work give me a Wilson clubs starter set, after he bought himself Titleist. It was year 2000. First time we went to the range I bruised my rib, by sending a screemer off the toe into a metal post separating the stalls, which ricochet right at me That was the turning point. I said "there is no way I can't figure it out!". Was hooked ever since. Started playing religiously every weekend and 2 - 3 times during the week I quickly got to 15 hcp with no lessons, but plenty of equipment upgrades. in february 2001 my wife bought me a gift certificate for 10 lessons with a local Pro and it reinvented my game. Quickly dropped to 7hcp by the end of the 2001 season, where in September I joined a semi-private club (day after sitting for 4 hours on a "stand-by board" at my local county course ). In 2002 I won a "most-rounds-played" award with 117 (bear in mind the full time job ), member-member championship and several mini-tournaments. 2003 was uneventful, still hovering around 7hcp, finally switching to Taylor Made equipment by the end of the year (200 steel irons and woods), which I belive helped me to drop the index to 4.x, where it currently is. First hole in one - Feb 2005, Rounds under par: 3 in 2004 (2 different courses), best official tournament score (not at my home course) : 78.

CURRENT:
Playing tons of golf, practicing 2 - 3 times a week, taking "check-up" lessons every 1-2 months. Signed up for several regional tournaments (mid am, public links, opens) to test my competition skills. I can't imagine what was I doing before golf - right now it's a 24hr thing for me - even at work (don't tell my boss) - I'm either playing, reading, talking, watching or thinking golf

P.S.: "The Polish Thunder" is my nickname at my course... ok, some days it turns into "The Polish Blunder"

Well I don't have much history...only started playing last April. I'm 20 now, and I played pretty consistently through the summer, got down to consistenly shooting in the low 80's, broke 80 twice. I haven't been able to play much while at school, Virginia Tech weather doesn't really allow one to play much. So at the moment, I most likely would have a rough time shooting anything decent.

Over the summer I will be back at it again, and I am transferring to Professional Golfer's Career College down in Orlando, Florida in the fall, so I will be able to keep the consistency going, hopefully get myself in the 70's more often. I'm a decent length player, a good drive for me is around the 275 range, can occasionally hit it farther, but that doesn't happen enough to say I am a bomber, getting a few inches off my driver in the near future though, so either the distance will get shorter, or stay the same because I'll be hitting the sweet spot more often. Short irons are a good length, 140 for the PW (47*), but long irons are crap, but I refuse to get rescue clubs because I am a very stubborn person and know that I can hit those irons.

This is a great thread...

Up until about a year ago I only played once or twice a year as I was living in Alaska and more focused on fly-fishing, the outdoors and whatever. There was no course where I lived so I would play on vacation. I moved to Washington last June and have been playing about once a week ever since, weather permitting.

My grandfather on my mom's side was the first golfer in our family (to my knowledge) and played to a single digit handicap, his son, my uncle plays as well and so it sort of runs in the family you might say. My grandpa gave me some cut down clubs when I was a kid and I'd generally use them as guns. I remember getting out on the course with him when I was about 12 years old and hacking it up.

I started playing and had a nasty slice, but the worst problem was that I would send the ball right and then it would slice even further. I seemed to have left that problem behind and am hitting the ball fairly strait. I've got to watch out not to release my hands too much and hook these days. At any rate, I've recently begun breaking 100 consistently and feel that I'll soon be firmly in the upper 80's. I'm hoping for that this summer. I've not had lessons yet but hope to take a series of lessons at some point. I have become a fair scrambler as I've spent so much time in the weeds this first year. I love having an eight iron in my hand... one of my favorite clubs.

The Sand Trap gig has been awesome and I enjoy the interaction at the forum. So thats about it for now.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Well, I started playing golf at the age of 7 when my Dad stuck a 7-iron in my hand and said, "Hit this."

What am I gonna do - argue with the old man?

So, I started hacking away at that. When I was 9 we moved from New Jersey to a home on the golf course in Miami. That next January I met Jack Nicklaus as he played the course behind my house. I've got his signature and picture of the event stowed away in a safe place.

Growing up I used to come home from school, grab my clubs out of the garage and walk out back and play 5 holes or so - no charge. The course was always empty, and we spent many days using it as a football field with me and the guys from the neighborhood. On weekends Dad would take me and my younger brother around and we'd play 18 on Sunday afternoons in 2 1/2 hours - just the 3 of us. Course was always pretty empty.

I did a year or so on my high school golf team, but have never been able to crack 80 on a regular basis.

After high school I joined the Marine Corps and brought my clubs with me. Shortly into my first stint at Camp Lejeune my Battallion Commander found out that this young Lance Corporal had a 8 handicap. So he "ordered" me to play golf on Wednesday afternoons. Oh the horror!

I was then shipped over to Okinawa for a year where I played golf in Japan on the Marine Corps and Air Force courses. I still describe those courses as "goat ranches with flag sticks", and every approach shot was a bump (more like hitting concrete) and run. You had to play every iron shot to hit about 30 feet in front of the green if you wanted the ball to end up on the "dance floor".

After that I came back home and basically got busy with life. Went to college, started a family, and watched my golf clubs collect dust in the garage for many years. I played sporadically at best until last May when a buddy invited me out for a local outting on a Monday. I wasn't playing much for the past 10 years mostly because I thought golf was too expensive. Then my buddy takes me out and shows me you can actually get in a round for less than $25. Shoot - had me hooked in no time. Played 60+ rounds last year and will be on pace to play over 100 this year - easy.

Shot my best round ever on March 15th of this year - a 2 over 73. One of those days where every shot was perfect and every putt I hit found the bottom of the cup. But that must have been my dream round, because every round since is somewhere between 82 on a good day and 92 when I'm in a funk. My handicap is right around an 8.8 right now, but I would imagine it will probably stay there for awhile, unless I suddenly get hot around the greens with my chipping and putting, which are my weaknesses.

i3+ irons
G5 13.5* driver
G5 B60 putter
58 lob wedge
Revolution Tour ball

Kiwidave, Where are you from in New Zealand? I was down there last August. That is a beautiful country. We were in Chirstchurch, Queenstown, and Auckland. Loved being there.

I'm down the bottom in Invercargill. I do a lot of work in Queenstown though. Love the place

I've played since I was four and played seriously (tournaments) since I was 10. Played in High School and won a bunch of tournaments in Junior golf. Offered to play in college, but was burnt out from playing everyday in the summers and more interested in "other activities" that were available in college. Picked up the sticks again in 2001 and was getting my game into shape until I moved to DC last year and only played 6 times all year (shooting high 70's though). This year I vow to play more!!!

Josh Premuda
www.thesandtrap.com

Driver Titleist 905T 8.5 degrees
Ping I2 3-wood 14 degreesTitleist 503.H hybrid 22 degreesTitleist DCI 962 3-9 6.5 Rifle shaftTitleist Vokey Oil Can wedges 48, 58 degreesScratch Golf 3x Black Wedge 54 degreesBig Oak Putter, T'ville 34"

I started playing back in the summer of 1997. My best friend played a little, and I had actually started watching golf on TV the year before. So I figured it would be easy to pick up. That was my first mistake.

I picked it up pretty quickly though, and by 1998 I was playing on the high school golf team. Our school was very small, so whoever tried out go to play if that says anything. I shot some rounds in the low 90's and was pretty much our #4 or #5 guy. Our team stunk it up and never went anywhere, but then again, our school didn't pay for us to practice, play, or anything.

I took it really serious until my 1st or 2nd year in college. I used to get really mad and throw clubs and all that good stuff. It just made me that much worse when I got mad at myself. So I really stopped playing consistently until I joined The Sand Trap last month. I have gotten back to playing two times a week or so. I guess getting married a year and half ago didn't help my playing either.

Currently, I am about what I was when I stopped playing consistently. I am capable of shooting 81 or 82, but I can also shoot 89 or 90 on any given day. I am usually right in that 10 shot area. I have shot 79 twice, but that was in high school.

My driving is pretty short but I hit 9 out of 13 fairways yesterday and am usually pretty darn straight. My short irons have gotten worse over the years and my long irons have gotten better. I don't know how that happens, but whatever I guess. My short game is hideous, nuff said. My chipping is probably the worse of anybody I play with and my putting is spotty. It can be great or crappy.

Hopefully I will be able to start over fresh with a new set of clubs and really get focused on the small things in golf.

I definitely look at myself as being a very scrappy 15 handicapper. I might duff one 20 yards and then play a brilliant to save par or get bogey. The only thing consistent about my game is the "inconsistency".

Nice topic.

I just started playing a couple of years ago when I was 49. I just recently broke 100 for the first time so I'm making some progress. I took lessons about 8 years ago but never played because I thought everybody was better than I....wrong! I've seen just as many bad golfers as good and quite a few very bad golfers and very good ones. It doesn't matter. I've decided to just get out there, learn something, enjoy the weather and excercise and figure out how to beat the course. I tend to be very competitive and golf has slowly taught me patience to go along with my competitive juices. I think you have to learn the game, learn to execute and learn to think on the course before you can be really good. I'm still learning all three with varying degrees of sucess from round to round. It's a good thing I don't have any money though (one kid in college, one in law school) because I think I'd have several sets of clubs and every bit of gear on the market. I'm a gear-a-holic!

The good news is that I've become extremely easy to buy for on Father's Day, my birthday and at Christmas...I AM HOOKED...and Loving it!

I had a mixed bag. The woods were just that and "hitting it off the screws" meant something. It was so bad, I had a "Lady Thompson" 3-iron. I hit the crap out of that blade. My brother gave me a TaylorMate TPA VII putter for X-mas.

My Uncle got me a set of clubs my senior year. I never had a lesson but ended up shooting in the low 80s. I miss the golf in those days. I grew up on Long Island. Eisenhower Park with its 3 couses was 15 minutes away. Bethpage and its 5 courses was 10 minutes away. It was $12 to play 4 of them. The Black was a premium, $14. $1.50 for a pull cart. No tee times back then. There were other county parks that had executive courses. The clubs stayed in the car because I was always looking to get out.

I moved here 16 years ago. I stopped playing because it was so expensive. I'm now getting back into it. I just replaced that 23 year old set with my current clubs. I still use the putter. I'm starting to get a little bit of distance in my drive. I hit a couple about 270 the other day. I'm a straight hitter. I'm beginning to learn how far I hit the ball with these new clubs. I never had a set of wedges. My old set had a P and S.

I shot an 89 the other day. 39 on the back. It's all coming back to me now. Golf is still expensive so I won't play as much as I'd like.(do we ever?) There's a little course near me that I could join to help keep the costs down. Maybe next year.

TaylorMade r7 Quad Driver 9.5 Neutral Stiff
TaylorMade r5 Dual 3 Fairway Wood Neutral Stiff
TaylorMade RAC OS Graphite Stiff
TaylorMade RAC Black Wedges 52, 56, 60 degrees
TaylorMade TPA VII PutterMaxfli Black MaxHome Course

History:

I've been playing about 20 years. I am finally starting to play more than once a weekend. Of course here in Michigan the weather is still crappy but hopefully if and when it gets warmer my scores will continue to lower. I've worked out all winter at a local dome.

History: I started playing at 12 years old (22 years ago). Took some lessons and played some. Nothing real serrious. I was always tall, but I started to grow pretty fast. 6'2" at 14, 6' 5" at 15 6' 7" at 16 and 6' 8" by 17. Basketball took over and the clubs went into storage. All of my free time was spent playing ball and I didn't go to a course for 9 years. The basketball thing did pay for a few years of college and I still play today. However, when I graduated in 1993 my brother and a few friends got me back on the course. My father-in-law plays to about a 5 and I found myself hooked in a hurry. I was terrible at first. Huge slice, fat, thin, shank, name it. I got a set that fit me and things picked up in a hurry.

Game: I play with clubs that are +1" and 2 degrees upright to accomodate my height. My biggest strength is also my biggest weakness. I'm 6'8" and 235. When I hit it solid, it goes a ton. I hit my 3 iron about 235-250. My drives are in the 275-300 range regularly. The down side is that I have plenty of room for error in my swing due to my height. I tend to get too flat and short with my backswing. My tempo has been a problem until last August when I got a song stuck in my head and I started singing to myself during the swing. No swing thoughts, just Big and Rich's "Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy." I swear this is true. I've tried going back to other thoughts, but this works best for me. I just let my body do the work and sing along. It doesn't work as well with putting or chipping. I'm still looking for the right song. By the way, I do this with bowling too. I bowlled a 242 and won a $474 strike ball well singing "Boom" by P.O.D.

Anyway, I tend to draw my 5 Iron through SW. My 4 Iron is usually relatively straight but will fade a little. My 3 Iron tends to fade. My Driver, 3 wood and 5 wood (when I actually cary it) definately fade. My irons are streaky. Distance control has been an issue so far this year (4 rounds). My short game has been all over the map. I tend to be a very good lag putter. Most likely from being all over the green. Chipping is mediocre at best. I am a 15 that can shoot in the low 80's (81 is my best w/ a 44-37) or I can shoot in the high 90's on a bad day. Usuall I'm right in between 85-92.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Note: This thread is 6902 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!